Fly Fusion Forums

I Think I'm Done Fishing

Jayhad

aaa,

Thank you.

The fight was much shorter than one would imagine, but still 5-6 minutes, she released very slowly and it took longer than average for her swim away. She was already missing her left eye and realistically I assume a fish that size is 10-12 years old+ and probably close to the end. I am sure me catching her took days away from her grand total. We involve ourselves in a pure blood sport all I can do is handle them as little as possible, keep them under water once landed and get them in as quick as your equipment allows.

I have fished 35 years, I've fished on a few continents, landed monster sturgeon, tangled with 15 years of salmon and steelhead. I've been chasing browns for 8 years and this is the most meaningful fish I've landed.

It pains me to know I am possibly responsible for her death.

• Like 4

I landed a rainbow the other day that I held up to my rod & memory marked where it was to the ferrel of my 4 piece.

Thought I would measure later just out of curiosity. It was about 4 or 5 inches short of the ferrel & it struck me as being a pretty good one.

Your brown is freaking awesome.

That's a great one !

Nice work !

that is a dandy alright. and would be tough to repeat. congrats on fulfilling your quest.

reminds me of years ago when we took a complete newbie floating on the red deer river. browns were on stoneflies. the newbie landed 3 browns over 20" one likely in 23/24" range. we told him for his own piece of mind it's best he never fly fishes again - different but the same.

• Like 1

Wonderful fish. Congrats. :)

Am wondering why you'd bother avoid fishing the spawn when you clearly fished through the hottest, driest weather and lowest, warmest water we've had in years?

I don't recall seeing you following me when I was pounding waters this season. Is that why you are confused as to when and where I fish? I didn't fish any creek during the heat and closures that was over 12C and I was pretty vocal on this forum informing guys there were lots of opportunities to fish during the closures just check with your thermometer before casting.

Next to not fishing, i put the fish first in all of my outings, to suggest I don't shows you don't me and perhaps you need to put in some more miles and leave the tourist waters to the tourists

• Like 5

I'm going to let you guys figure the length, I know what she was. That there is a brown that clearly goes past the first section of a four piece 590. Enjoy

IMG_20151017_113927_edit_edit_zpsvf7bobe

Each section of a VXP 590 is 28.5 inches. If you swung the centre of the tail up to the butt of the rod I think the nose would still be past the first section by at least 1/2", maybe 1". So my guess is 29 1/4".

• Like 2