Jump to content
Fly Fusion Forums

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation since 08/22/2021 in all areas

  1. 5.5ft Lodgepole Branch is all one needs for Cutties
    3 points
  2. A sign at the lake explaining the huge problem the carp create with the trout population would be helpful. The problem exists that certain folks are more than happy to harvest carp. A certain set of those individuals are responsible for the illegal introduction of carp into new waterbodies
    2 points
  3. Lefty is bang on. For specialized conditions, increasing or decreasing line weights helps. However, for the bulk of angling, using the line matched to the rod is the best choice. To use Lefty’s advice with six lines, three floaters, three sinkers plus reels likely would add $300>1500 in reels and $400 at least in lines. Don
    1 point
  4. Fishn….. There are few that have the numbers of lines that I own. 1>9 wts. In floaters and <>10 sinking lines which don’t include various shooting heads. The cost to try a bunch would be cost prohibitive for most. A starting point where the manufacturers provided the truth would certainly simplify the search for the line to match your casting style and equipment. I weighed,with a RCBS powder scale, my 6 wt. lines the other day which are mostly Cortland and found them dead on to standard. A Sci. Ang. Ultimate Trout and a DT Mastery we’re also dead on. The results paralleled the information published in the manufacturers web sites. Don
    1 point
  5. Not sure if there is still room but Aaron Caldwell is putting on his Spey clinics on the Bow in August. It is money well spent that will accelerate your progress. He explains the gear, casting and how to swing for success his company is Feather Forge Fly Co. Check his website for clinic availability
    1 point
  6. This kind of crap is bad for everyone. "Survival" not the word for this kind of stuff with long wood saws, complete fly fishing kits and so on and so forth. Any Alberta outdoorsperson with an IQ above their shoe size must be able to rank this with all-star wrestling and that kind of pseudo sport entertainment. Complete and utter garbage. And as posted above, the poaching aspect - fish and game - makes me want to hurl. I did not even watch both videos, just skipped through. I do feel bad about contributing to the "viewed" statistics... like it was a good thing. I hope these persons get busted.
    1 point
  7. I fish the bow with a spey or switch 90% of the time. I believe you can't compare to the aggressive strike of a fly on the swing. I also love the delicate roll out of a snake roll or single spey. The other 10% of the time I am nymphing and searching for snouts.
    1 point
  8. The further you get out, the more currents you have your line in. Mending becomes impossible (or just an excruciating pain in the ass). When nymphing, I don't usually feel the need to cast much further than 40 feet in most scenarios. Hell, I'd bet 80 percent is 30 or less. Measure it...I think most guys add 20 to the estimate of their casts.
    1 point
  9. For the line, take a look at the Rio Switch Chucker. It's like a skagit head only it has an integrated running line so you can mend it. Just throw on a sink tip of your choice when you want to swing streamers. The thing to keep in mind is that you might get extra distance out of your cast, but when that indicator moves will you have time to pick up all that line that's on the water and set the hook before the fish spits your fly? For the rod it's such a personal choice that I would take a lesson first then show up to one of the spey-o-rama days to try different ones and decide from there. Everyone will suggest a rod that works for them, but it might not work for you.
    1 point
  10. Nymphing with a two hander sucks-even with a switch. Don't fool yourself Into thinking a switch will ever be fished SH. I did, and I haven't single handed mine since the week I bought it.
    1 point
×
×
  • Create New...