Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

I have seen some awesome low scoring games as well, but unfortunately in the day of the salary cap a team usually has a limited number of scorers ( see Flames) and a bunch of players that just avoid getting scored against. It can make for some boring hockey.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so is anyone who doesnt think the stripes are dictatiing the way some flames games go watching tonights? two flames players get hauled/hooked/held down on a series of scoring chances, and since then colorado has had 5 straight power play chances even though there were more holds/hooks that could have been called against them.... and are up 1-0 after ONE period. Do I dare even watch the second when I know the stripes have been paid to boot this one?

so is anyone who doesnt think the stripes are dictatiing the way some flames games go watching tonights? two flames players get hauled/hooked/held down on a series of scoring chances, and since then colorado has had 5 straight power play chances even though there were more holds/hooks that could have been called against them.... and are up 1-0 after ONE period. Do I dare even watch the second when I know the stripes have been paid to boot this one?

Merry Christmas Colorado. Giordano's blood not good enough for the Ref. Colorado it brutal. To lose 3 to this team is tough. If Colorado makes the playoffs I'll be surprised - they are even worse than Edmonton.

I was watching a "New" episode of "Cold Case" (CBS) last night and the story was based on the death of a minor league hockey player. They refered to great smaller hockey players and mentioned Gilmour, Fleury and Nigel Dawes. One cop said "Dawes? New York Rangers" and gave a disgusted look (Philly based show). I can't believe that an episode filmed this year would be so inaccurate as we all know that Dawes has played for two teams since the Rangers. There were so many other inaccuracies as well. I can appreciate "artistic licence" but giving a guy a penalty shot for being the victim of a dirty check was too much. I was surprised that the producers couldn't find a hockey fan that would clue them in.

Just protecting "Canada's" game.

Well the production time on lots of those shows is pretty long, from the time it is written to the time it hits the air. Maybe he was still with the Rangers when they put that show together. My nephew is in the business and he has told me it can take up to 5 years.

Don't forget to log that game into your database! :)

Smitty

smitty. I made that prediction at the end of the first period, that the stripes would make sure the flames didn't win this one.... and they didn't let me down!

seeing as how they lost the game, and DIDNT GET A 4 MINUTE HIGH STICKING CALL when the flames player was CLEARLY bleeding... I think I proved my point, no? I could tell in the first 5 minutes how that game was going to go... based on the reffing. total fu***n bs.

All I hear is how great Jay B is game in and game out. That penalty he took at the end of the game was as stupid a play as I've seen any player on any team make this year. I mean - first he slashes the guy and then he cross checks him - while they are up by a goal and on a powerplay until the end of the game. If it was Phaneuf who did that, you wouldn't hear the end of it.

Jay is good, no doubt about it, but the most highly overrated player on the team I think. Giordano the most underrated.

Man what a weird year. wins in games where the team didn't deserve to win... and lots of losses on games where the flames played very well. Can't figure this team out. Boy they looked awful in the third... I can't understand why teams "sit back" on a lead... I've never seen it lead to anything good.

Man what a weird year. wins in games where the team didn't deserve to win... and lots of losses on games where the flames played very well. Can't figure this team out. Boy they looked awful in the third... I can't understand why teams "sit back" on a lead... I've never seen it lead to anything good.

Yeah - I was thinking the same thing. It's so obvious to fans that are watching that just getting the puck out of your zone when you're up might work in Pee Wee, but in the NHL it is a recipe for disaster. Yet the Flames do it all the time. The only time they play well in the 3rd is when they are down or tied.

BTW - I missed the start. Who was the Colour Guy on with Cuthbert? I liked him. So much more enjoyable watching the game on TSN than on CBC - Mark Lee just doesn't get the emotion going, and an ex oiler as Colour Guy - what the %^$% is CBC thinking. The only one worse if Kevin Weekes, but at least he is new so I'll give him a break.

CBC should cut a deal with the fan 960 and just put Peter and Mike Rogers voice on over the CBC video for Flames games. One way you might be able to do it yourself if you have a PVR is to record the game and start watching it acouple of seconds later so the sound and video match. I think I'm going to try that next game.

All I hear is how great Jay B is game in and game out. That penalty he took at the end of the game was as stupid a play as I've seen any player on any team make this year. I mean - first he slashes the guy and then he cross checks him - while they are up by a goal and on a powerplay until the end of the game. If it was Phaneuf who did that, you wouldn't hear the end of it.

Jay is good, no doubt about it, but the most highly overrated player on the team I think. Giordano the most underrated.

I totally agree!

TSN has Pierre Macquire...and anyone is better than having Marc Crawford and his high pitched, I love Being Erica color commentating. I refuse to listen to games when they are/were on.

But I have to agree, Cuthbert is one of the better ones out there.

BTW - I missed the start. Who was the Colour Guy on with Cuthbert? I liked him. So much more enjoyable watching the game on TSN than on CBC - Mark Lee just doesn't get the emotion going, and an ex oiler as Colour Guy - what the %^$% is CBC thinking. The only one worse if Kevin Weekes, but at least he is new so I'll give him a break.

CBC should cut a deal with the fan 960 and just put Peter and Mike Rogers voice on over the CBC video for Flames games. One way you might be able to do it yourself if you have a PVR is to record the game and start watching it acouple of seconds later so the sound and video match. I think I'm going to try that next game.

Good idea! I can and will do that next time they're on CBC. I am getting tired of lame play by play game calls.

Yeah - I was thinking the same thing. It's so obvious to fans that are watching that just getting the puck out of your zone when you're up might work in Pee Wee, but in the NHL it is a recipe for disaster. Yet the Flames do it all the time. The only time they play well in the 3rd is when they are down or tied.

The colour guy with Cuthbert on TSN is usually Ray Ferarro. He's on right now with Cuthbert on TSN doing the Canucks v. Capitals game.

Was it someone else?

The colour guy with Cuthbert on TSN is usually Ray Ferarro. He's on right now with Cuthbert on TSN doing the Canucks v. Capitals game.

Was it someone else?

No - it wasn't Ray - although he is pretty good.

Just watching the game - another brutal PPG against. Bowmeester standing around watching the play again. The more I see, the less I am impressed with that guy in his own end. Give me Pardy or Gio on the PK any day.

Post Game Edit - what exactly will it take for Jokinen to score? The guy is brutal. Seriously, Dave Semenko had better hands. Maybe next game Jerome can fire it off of Jokinen's head and into the net. That would solve two problems.

No way they should lose a game they dominate like that.

Kipper had his first weak game in quite a while... it was the difference in this one. I didnt think the flames dominated the game... the first period they got owned. second was a bit more flames , third was more nashville till last 10min then the flames poured it on. why dont the damn flames play the way they played the last 5 minutes all bloody game??? They do this all the time... get a lead.... *foot comes off gas* .. LOSS!

maybe someone should pay me 2.5 mill a year to coach this team... I can see what needs to be done as a fan. Gonna send all these boys to get a serious whipping when they fail like this.

ay carumba what's with the inconsistency in the flames play. great november and a terrible december. was at the blues game last week. the first period was ok with some good scoring chances even though they were outshot. but then next 2 periods the flames could never muster any kind of sustained attack.

going to the game today and unless the flames pull up their socks it's going to be pretty tough to beat the canucks esp now that they are playing well. i don't like the thought of seeing the hated canucks beating us in the dome....hopefully the flames will get their *hit together today.

going to the game today and unless the flames pull up their socks it's going to be pretty tough to beat the canucks esp now that they are playing well. i don't like the thought of seeing the hated canucks beating us in the dome....hopefully the flames will get their *hit together today.

Rare to see a goalie that out of it - I mean, he couldn't find the puck at all. I'd have pulled him after the third goal - it was clear he was in early season form. No way I'd play him against Edmonton.

I'm sure after the game, they'll talk about defensive breakdowns etc - but the only difference was between the pipes. Last three games, Flames should be 3-0, but Kipper has been the old Kipper.

Rare to see a goalie that out of it - I mean, he couldn't find the puck at all. I'd have pulled him after the third goal - it was clear he was in early season form. No way I'd play him against Edmonton.

I'm sure after the game, they'll talk about defensive breakdowns etc - but the only difference was between the pipes. Last three games, Flames should be 3-0, but Kipper has been the old Kipper.

Can't expect to win a game scoring only 1 goal

no doubt that kipper was not playing well but the defense totally sucked too....and yes 1 goal rarely wins games.

boy did they look bad last night. no one looked like they were up for the game. not one player really stepped up and tried to get it done.

it was no fun sitting there with all the canucks fans cheering all night long....

If its any consolation, you now get to play...the OILERS!

The Oilers are the perfect Rx for any team close to sucking right now.

Though, be warned, especially Hawgstoppah, that word on the streets is that the refs have been instructed by NHL head office to 'help' the Oilers out.

:)

Smitty

Though, be warned, especially Hawgstoppah, that word on the streets is that the refs have been instructed by NHL head office to 'help' the Oilers out.

if you just watched the flames vs kings game, you'd agree. A phantom 5 minute major and a game suspension for playing the game of hockey, for phanuef (since when did good solid bodychecks get outlawed?), and a phantom penalty shot for the kings too. As usual the flames have to beat two teams, the one's wearing the opponents jerseys and those asshats wearing the black and white striped jerseys.

if you just watched the flames vs kings game, you'd agree. A phantom 5 minute major and a game suspension for playing the game of hockey, for phanuef (since when did good solid bodychecks get outlawed?), and a phantom penalty shot for the kings too. As usual the flames have to beat two teams, the one's wearing the opponents jerseys and those asshats wearing the black and white striped jerseys.

I don't think that hit was a phantom call - borderline, yes, but the ref didn't pull this out of his ass. Kopitar was thrown into the boards violently from a hit a few feet off the boards. Boarding is usually not an intent to injure but a regular body check on a player in a vulnerable area in respect to the boards.

Definitely sucks at this level of hockey when a guy gets ejected for this kind of play though. In my opinion just as much fault lies on the guy who got hit for putting himself in a vulnerable position, but those are the rules i guess

I was there. Funny how that phantom hit slammed Kopitars head into the boards. And can someone explain to me how when two guys are racing for a puck on an icing situation the guy in front put himself in a vulnerable position? This stupid rule is going to get someone seriously injured one day. Hell, even Cherry thinks so. Not often anyone from outside Canada agrees with Don, but he's right on this one.