Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

The complete BS calls happen on the flames wether or not were winnign or losing. It's a f**in joke this league. Ive never watched another team (and I do follow other teams) in ANY sport that gets jobbed by the officiating as much as the flames do. the Boston red sox are up there, but lately theyve been getting breaks (finally!!).

the last game against vancouver was a total joke. I could ref better, and I mean that in all seriousness. A call is a call. what about the columbus game with flames players getting hualed down on 2 on 1's???? No calls? come on... stupid.

glad I play hockey sometimes, so I dont end up watching the sh**tshow the NHL has become.

Flames - jobbed by the refs? Surely you jest.

Just because Columbus had 2 shots on net and were completely dominated before the ref called 5 straight penalties on the flames. Happens all the time.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course, no one complains more about sh***y reffing than insecure flames fans. You guys should have your own website solely dedicated to cataloguing the bad calls. You could have a database, and dissect each one, and then you could present it as evidence as a vast, masterful conspiracy against the Flames!

:)

Smitty

And of course, no one complains more about sh***y reffing than insecure flames fans. You guys should have your own website solely dedicated to cataloguing the bad calls. You could have a database, and dissect each one, and then you could present it as evidence as a vast, masterful conspiracy against the Flames!

Smitty

Your right, we could. If someone actually took the time to do that... they'd probably have a court case against the NHL reffing association or whatever they call that joke.

Smitty

All assume your an Edmonton fan. Well Smitty all put money on it that if Edmonton comes out strong and grabs an early lead you will see the refs do whatever they can to get Columbus in the lead.

Bitching about the flames? Christ, i'm a leafs fan. How do you think I feel?

Why doesn't Hamilton have an NHL team?Because then Toronto would want one.

What do the Toronto Maple Leafs, Toronto Argonauts and the Toronto Blue Jays all have in common besides being based in Toronto ?None of them can play hockey.

The general manager, coach and six Maple Leaf starters walk into a bar. Nobody is surprised.

What's the difference between the Toronto Maple Leafs and a triangle? A triangle has 3 points.

Why did Vesa Toskala interrupt two people having sex? He wanted to know what it felt like to stop someone from scoring

What do the Leafs and the Titanic have in common? They both look great until they hit the ice!

Why are the owners of the TML considering a name change to the Toronto Possums? A: Like possums, they play dead when at home and get killed when they play on the road .

What did Billy do after the Leafs won the Stanley Cup? He turned off his PlayStation.

All assume your an Edmonton fan. Well Smitty all put money on it that if Edmonton comes out strong and grabs an early lead you will see the refs do whatever they can to get Columbus in the lead.

I'd love to, but its an impossible bet, due to 1st person bias. Who would decide the refs are giving Edmonton legitimate versus illegitimate penalties.

But I'll do you one better; I think its pretty reasonable to assume that refs, being human, do engage in "even up" calls. Not necessarily related to whichever team has the lead, but when they've blown a call against one team, there does "seem" to be tendency to call a cheesy penalty against the other team, to 'even' things up.

My point is, that Brian is moaning about this vast conspiracy against the Flames, where one specific team is targeted. Totally different. So what I'd like to see him do is develop a stand-up routine suitable for the comedy network.

Its one thing to say the reffing is bad versus its bad targeted towards one team. My arm will be rubber if you want to convince me reffing is bad. But that's my point; its so consistently bad against all teams, it really is a non-factor in deciding games. The refs don't put the puck in the net, players do.

I will say there was one time I deeply suspected a conspiracy in a hockey game involving refs; Olympic Women's final, Salt Lake, 2002. I think at one point there were 13 penalties in a row called against us. It was an outrage.

Smitty

I'd love to, but its an impossible bet, due to 1st person bias. Who would decide the refs are giving Edmonton legitimate versus illegitimate penalties.

But I'll do you one better; I think its pretty reasonable to assume that refs, being human, do engage in "even up" calls. Not necessarily related to whichever team has the lead, but when they've blown a call against one team, there does "seem" to be tendency to call a cheesy penalty against the other team, to 'even' things up.

My point is, that Brian is moaning about this vast conspiracy against the Flames, where one specific team is targeted. Totally different. So what I'd like to see him do is develop a stand-up routine suitable for the comedy network.

Its one thing to say the reffing is bad versus its bad targeted towards one team. My arm will be rubber if you want to convince me reffing is bad. But that's my point; its so consistently bad against all teams, it really is a non-factor in deciding games. The refs don't put the puck in the net, players do.

I will say there was one time I deeply suspected a conspiracy in a hockey game involving refs; Olympic Women's final, Salt Lake, 2002. I think at one point there were 13 penalties in a row called against us. It was an outrage.

Smitty

You obviously havent followed the flames for years. You dont think the reffing stole the 2006 cup from edmonton? They certainly screwed calgary out of one in '04....Bias against canada? hell yeah. and amongst that bias the flames seem to be put in last place (if the flames play another canadian team, they still dont get calls). It's not how many calls, although if you look at it you'll see the flames on average take about twice as many penalties / game as their opponents on a regular basis (which is complete horse sh*t).. but it's WHEN the calls are made. The stripes will get the other team up 5-2 with power plays all game, and then with 30 seconds left in the game call a few against the other team so the final score sheet looks like they werent so one sided... maybe in the end it loks like the other team had 6 power plays to the flames's 4... when in reality they only got two while the game mattered. Complete and utter BS... like I said the NHL and it's refs are a joke.

You obviously havent followed the flames for years. You dont think the reffing stole the 2006 cup from edmonton? They certainly screwed calgary out of one in '04....Bias against canada? hell yeah. and amongst that bias the flames seem to be put in last place (if the flames play another canadian team, they still dont get calls). It's not how many calls, although if you look at it you'll see the flames on average take about twice as many penalties / game as their opponents on a regular basis (which is complete horse sh*t).. but it's WHEN the calls are made. The stripes will get the other team up 5-2 and then with 30 seconds left in the game call a few against the other team so the final score sheet looks like they werent so one sided. Complete and utter BS... like I said the NHL and it's refs are a joke.

Brian:

Ty Conklin stole the cup from us that year. :) If I see credible evidence the refs were out to get us for that series too, well hell, I just might need to take up drinking...regularly. ;)

We should take up a collection and pay a virtual assistant in India somewhere to test the validity of your assumptions. :)

Or, it could it be, the Flames are just a freakin' dirty team? :P (KIDDING!)

Smitty

People must be blind or just don't pay attention when they watch hockey games. I agree with Hawg 100 % Its the timing of calls and non-calls. So you guys think it was fair when the Columbus player was breaking to the net and the Edmonton player put his hand on the Columbus players arm for about 1/2 a second and gets a holding call. Two minutes later Penny is breaking in on the Columbus net and the Columbus player has his whole stick and arm around Penny and is pulling so hard that when he finally gets out muscled he spins out and wipes into the boards. No holding call WTF oh ya Columbus needed a goal to get back into it. The late penalties at the end of the game on Columbus pretty much had to be called and thats the only reason they where.

I played hockey all my life and reffed pretty much the whole time I played for extra coin lol. I stand right beside Brian.

Here is all I have to say, and this is coming from a Flames Fan.

I'm aam sick and tired of hearing the same old *hit from the same old people, we know what you think and you have stated your opion many times, some of us just don't want to hear about the same thing after every game, point taken and we now understand your veiws, howabout now we move onto something diffrent.

Instead of turning this thread into a fight or argument or debate lets talk about how the flames are WINNING, and how edmonton is not.......

Who's trying to turn this tread into a fight? What you're sick and tired of hearing doesn't concern me in the least. Yes lets ignore the real issues of hockey and just use this thread to get under people's skin when their favorite team doesn't win.

............Instead of turning this thread into a fight or argument or debate lets talk about how the flames are WINNING, and how edmonton is not.......

Huh????

Official NHL stats, October 23, 2009

Edmonton Oilers GP 9 W 6 L 2 OT 1 PTS 13

Calgary Flames GP 9 W 6 L 2 OT 1 PTS 13

Huh????

Official NHL stats, October 23, 2009

Edmonton Oilers GP 9 W 6 L 2 OT 1 PTS 13

Calgary Flames GP 9 W 6 L 2 OT 1 PTS 13

Yeah, I agree Brad, Huh? lol

I do believe Edmonton is currently on a four game win streak and just finished a three game home stand going 3-0.

But they aren't winning games......

Didn't watch the Spoilers game last night. Only looked at the boxscore this morning. Looks like Col was cruising 4-1 half way throught he second period, then 6 penalties for Columbus to Edmonton's 1. 3 PP goals later, Oilers win. Sounds like a typical NHL game to me.

And before the Oiler fans get on me, the same thing has happened to both benefit and hurt the Flames this year. I get that. The original point was that the NHL is a joke since the lock-out, because there is a concerted effort to artificially make every gaem close - and special teams (including the shoot-out) make the difference in more than 60% of the games.

Why do I watch then? Well, every now and again (say 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 games), I see a really good game where the refs aren't the difference.- that I enjoy. Sorta like living in Calgary and planning an outdoor event. 2/3rds of the time the weather is awful, but every now and again you get a really nice day, so you continue to plan and hope for the best.

If tomorrow's game has less than 4 powerplays (total) - I'll enjoy it, no mater who wins.

All this moaning about bad reffing and the no calls going to the fLAMES, but I do seem to recall that the Blue Jackets had TWO goals called back due to penalties being called to them vs. the fLAMES. This was the first game the fLAMES played them where they lost 2-1 to the Jackets in Columbus.

It seems to me that the fans have short term memory loss. fLAMES lost that game because they couldn't score. Period.

Reh:

Not going to "jump" on you at all. Just saying numbers don't tell the story. No comment on whether you thought they were good calls/bad calls?

So the 2 refs - say Jim and Bob - got together and conversation took place:

Bob: "Well, the home team's down 3 goals. We gotta do something here..."

Jim: "Just got off the phone with Gary Bettman (concealed earbud wireless transmitter to cell phone). They've crunched the numbers, based on pp%, pk%, the color of Quinn's suit, temperature of Mike Comrie's fever. Looks like we'll need at least 6 penalties".

Bob: "You want to start, or should I?"

Jim: "I'll do it. You did most of the heavy lifting last night when we @#$%^# the Flames. For a moment, I didn't think the Flames would lose. Whew!"

2 minutes later....

Jim: "HEY! HUSELIUS! 2 MINUTES FOR BEING AN EX-FLAME! SIT YOUR ASS DOWN!"

End of the game:

Bob: "Once again, the boys at head office were right. It did take 6 penalties. Looks like that operation to surgically replace Penner's hands with Mike Bossy's is working well"

Jim: "Yeah, no kidding. 5 points. And Hemsky, I wasn't counting on him pulling his head from his rear end. Anyways, good ending to a bad start."

Bob: "So what's are next game?"

Jim: "Edmonton vs Calgary. Bettman hasn't decided whose supposed to win, so for now, we'll call it fair"

Bob: -gasp- "Seriously! Are you sure??? I'm not sure I remember or am capable of that. We better pull the tapes from the pre-lockout, pre-conspiracy days".

Jim: "No worries, I got this game when Gretzky was playing for St. Louis and they faced off against the Avalance. Since I hate both Gretzky and Roy, I had to call the game very fair. Best reffed game ever..."

Smitty

Smitty,

Pretty funny conversation, but I think the reality is a bit darker. I did some internet research and found that the NHL has had the referees neurological systems altered to enable the NHL bosses to actually control the motor functions (gotta be able to make that right arm go up remotely) of their referees. The refs also have a device in their vocal cords that allow the NHL to make the call themselves, but make it SOUND like the actual referee is doing it. Genius! And I can't confirm this, but I think a couple of the refs might actually be androids.

All this moaning about bad reffing and the no calls going to the fLAMES, but I do seem to recall that the Blue Jackets had TWO goals called back due to penalties being called to them vs. the fLAMES. This was the first game the fLAMES played them where they lost 2-1 to the Jackets in Columbus.

It seems to me that the fans have short term memory loss. fLAMES lost that game because they couldn't score. Period.

I don't think anyone made the claim that the refs were the difference in that game FNG. I personally thought Columbus was the better team that night. Can't remember why the first goal was waved off but the second goal was a quick whistle by the ref. Had nothing to do with a penalty. Should have been a goal for sure.

This is to the people that think they can dictate to others what they choose to post about. I'll post anything I want about any aspect of any game that's played and there's not a thing you can do about it. So suck it up its a long season.