Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

When two Canadian teams face off, the refs have no clear agenda so they tend to do a piss poor job of reffing the game. This last CGY VS EDM game, I don't think any team was really favored. I saw missed calls on both teams. Crossckecking on Calgary's first goal setting up a 2 on 1 which resulted in a short handed goal for Calgary. There's no way the refs didn't see that. I'm not going to bother listing them all, but I'll say if you're going to call a 4 min high sticking call for drawing blood on one team then it should be called on both. Why should an Edmonton player get away with the same offence just because Calgary has a lead. Why should the ref get to decide calls like that based on the score. It's utter crap and totally manipulates the flow of the game. In the last 4 games I've watched, in two of them the announcers have said to each other "well if you're going to call that on one team than you should call it on both". They're not from calls that the reffs didn't see and that's why I say its manipulating the game.

Now I'll be the first to admit that the Refs have a tough job to do. But having a hidden agenda makes it a lot tougher. I hate to break it to Gary Bettman but there's never going to be any Michael Jordans or Tiger Woods in hockey. Sure if Wayne Gretzky went to Disney Land there might be a few Canadians there that might recognize him. You can't make people love hockey its never going to be in the same league as baseball, football, or basketball in the lives of mainstream Americans.

Why do I watch, well for the same reason as Rehsifylf. Every once in a while you watch a game that no matter who wins, you walk away saying "man that's what hockey is all about".

Being an Oilers fan.. I felt that was a big momentum shift in the game. But in the end, we had 8 powerplays to your 3, so I couldn't complain really. I don't buy the whole conspiracy argument.. but I totally agree the refs are pretty brutal way too often! Like you said.. for both teams.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly though that tonight the flames played one of their most solid games of the year. they were hitting, dominating the boards, keeping the play in their own zone mostly to to the outside. Colorado had 3 chances all night... but they all found the back of the net... not really kippers fault on any of them either. calgary had no puck luck this game... but I thought they played VERY well... best played game of the season. Outshot the avs 32-14 or something like that.. outchances them 15 to 3 probably... Too bad it was a loss... puck just wouldn't come onto a calgary players stick near the net.... The stripes called a good game tonight even... nothing to say really. Chalk that up to bad luck. Next game!

.... The stripes called a good game tonight even... nothing to say really. Chalk that up to bad luck. Next game!

I'm getting my skates and stick ready, cause I'm pretty sure there's a shinny game about to start in hell. Cause, you know, it just froze over.

Just being a PITA, Brian. :)

Smitty

I honestly though that tonight the flames played one of their most solid games of the year. they were hitting, dominating the boards, keeping the play in their own zone mostly to to the outside. Colorado had 3 chances all night... but they all found the back of the net... not really kippers fault on any of them either. calgary had no puck luck this game... but I thought they played VERY well... best played game of the season. Outshot the avs 32-14 or something like that.. outchances them 15 to 3 probably... Too bad it was a loss... puck just wouldn't come onto a calgary players stick near the net.... The stripes called a good game tonight even... nothing to say really. Chalk that up to bad luck. Next game!

I heard two of the Flames cut themselves shaving and another had a hangnail - so last night's loss doesn't count. As for Stripes - not enough viewers on pay per view for them to try and take centre stage. They save the real shows for HNIC.

Anderson - 1st in Wins, 2nd in save percentage, 1st in shutouts, and tied for 2nd in GAA. Kipper - 3rd last in GAA (28th out of 30), 4th last in Save% (27th out of 30) but tied for 4th in Wins. This team is good and if they ever get goaltending, lights out for the rest of the NW.

good game for curtis!!!!!! was a good watching game! and the refs finally "won" us a game!!!!!!!!!!

The refs didn't help much in the first. That 5:3 was a joke. As for the puck over glass, the TSN guys got it wrong. The rule is when the player is in the defending zone, not the puck. While the puck was over the blue line, the player was clearly behind the line - watched it it slow motion. At that point penalties were 7 Calgary, 4 Dallas including a penalty shot so I wouldn't say the refs won it for Calgary. Our goalie was the difference.

Puck over glass penalty is a stupid rule. As someone said, if you can shoot the puck down the ice intentionally to stop play (icing) what is the difference with shooting it over the glass - both delay the game.

Puck over glass penalty is a stupid rule. As someone said, if you can shoot the puck down the ice intentionally to stop play (icing) what is the difference with shooting it over the glass - both delay the game.

I never thought of it that way. That is a very vaild point.

One thing about last nights win over dallas... DAMN did that feel good as a flames fan to watch the OTHER team finally get SCREWED on a call!!! LOLOL Beeeeeyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!

Thought they played with more intensity, but MAN do they give up a lot of shots. Curtiss was a rock in net.

Well when the puck is iced theres still a pretty good chance that it will be blocked or some how kept in play. You see it all the time a poor icing attempt that results in a goal or at least a good scoring chance. Over the glass is definitely a cheap move and should be called when appropriate.

Well when the puck is iced theres still a pretty good chance that it will be blocked or some how kept in play. You see it all the time a poor icing attempt that results in a goal or at least a good scoring chance. Over the glass is definitely a cheap move and should be called when appropriate.

I also think calling the icing the same way would be to much of a judgment call. There are times when a player obviously turns and ices the puck intentionally and other times when a pass is missed on a break out which should not be penalized. Weather it clears the glass without touching it makes it a clear call.

Before this rule it was an easy way out, so i'm all for it

Nice shutdown game in the third period. Kipper was solid but Jokinen is still a liability, but with 3 semi consistent games resulting in wins, I can't complain too much. The questions about the Glencross on Drury hit will rage for a while but from what I saw it did not look dirty just unfortunate for Drury. Avery getting hit by Dion, priceless :)

Joki has lost his hands. If anyone sees them, plz return to the calgary flames hockey club asap.

Pretty solid effort all around from the flames. Watched the press conf after the game and tortarella was saying it was the best the rangers had played all year, and they got beat. So that's a big positive step in the right direction from the flames. I saw a lotta hustle over the last 3 games... startin to LIKE what i see now. Not too much to complain about ... woot! :)

again, wow. what an effort. great to see the flames playing this way. Kipper's back and that's not what the rest of the NHL wants to hear. He's startin to look like the good ol' kipper. :)

Yes Kipper has played his two best games of the past couple of seasons - in a row. Funny how it was right after Curtis went in and played a stellar game. That hasn't happened since another Curtis went in and played great a couple years back. Kipper needs to be pushed and maybe now he will be.

finally a good complete game played and a win. the boys looked pretty good even though they did give up a fair number of shots and some pretty good chances to the habs (cammileri and gomez for example).

one drawback was the o-fer on the pp. especially the last one. some decent control but not enough quality scoring chances.

let's hope they can keep it rolling esp vs. the leafs on saturday.

well chalk up two more wins on the back of kipper. Would have been losses if kipper would not have been spectacular both of those games. I'm pretty excited to see him playing the way he is... I feel with him playing that well this team can do anything.

Love watching the Flames on Hockey Night in Toronto. Kipper played great, but the team also scored five goals and came close another 6 times. Other than the 5th goal, none of those goals were weak ones. TO had a large number of shots from near the blueline with no traffic. I so enjoy a Vancouver Homer anouncer with an Edmonton Homer colour guy on HNIT. The only thing worse was when Maguire was doing the Flames-Hawks series last year. Last night, Price stopped 53 of 55 shots - a better performance than Kipper who stopped 36 of 38 - but guess what, Montreal lost.

Tuesday's game against Col will be for first place. Too bad Col got clobbered last night, it's never good to face a good team that just got whooped.

PS - Anyone seen the Oilers Official Thread? It must be way down near the bottom, like the team. I just picked up some awesome tickets to see the Oilers next spring - third row right beside the 18th green.

Tuesday's game against Col will be for first place. Too bad Col got clobbered last night, it's never good to face a good team that just got whooped.

PS - Anyone seen the Oilers Official Thread? It must be way down near the bottom, like the team. I just picked up some awesome tickets to see the Oilers next spring - third row right beside the 18th green.

Yes colorado scares the crap out of me right now, it's going to be one heck of a game. I got my mens league game at the same time so I'll have to PVR it and force myself to NOT find out the score!

as far as your other comment... you owe me a new computer I just covered mine in spit out coca cola. :lol:

PS: HNIC stats showed kipper made 38 saves... and that TO had 40 shots, did they change that?