Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

im with jj here.. i dont really fault kippers play at all.. how many games has he kepts us in a 2-1 (3-1 with a empty netter) till we get the empty netter.. every couple of games he does let in some weaker goals.. but he dosnt play positional as much as tries too track the puck.. if he cant see it he dosnt really react (like other butterfly golies who just play angles regardles if they see the shot or not) with that style he does let in some goals that make u want too smash teh tv! it can be frustrating too lose a game like we did against colorado and a few other teams this year.. but kipper has won us more than a few games this year and will continue to do so.. by far our most consistant player all year!!! imho he is worth teh cash money!! if kipper went down te flames would be F*CKED so why harsh him so much?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with max in regards to his play DURING the game. He has been very good. The flames wouldn't even be able to sniff the last playoff spot right now without HIS tremendous play this year so far.

Having said that - I find him to be one of the weakest goalies in the league for shoot outs. All I was stating in my "trash kipper" post above, was simply that he sucks in shootouts, which I am sure no one will argue. Does anyone know if the flames are allowed to change goaltenders for a shootout or does the goalie who played (barring any injury) have to also play in the shootout?

I have to agree with max in regards to his play DURING the game. He has been very good. The flames wouldn't even be able to sniff the last playoff spot right now without HIS tremendous play this year so far.

Having said that - I find him to be one of the weakest goalies in the league for shoot outs. All I was stating in my "trash kipper" post above, was simply that he sucks in shootouts, which I am sure no one will argue. Does anyone know if the flames are allowed to change goaltenders for a shootout or does the goalie who played (barring any injury) have to also play in the shootout?

I can't see why not. I played in a game once when this exact thing happened. Wasn't the NHL of course........ they won too!

well if you watched tonights game you can see rehsifylf's points. yet another game where the flames badly outplayed the opposition, only to lose becuase the other teams goaltending was far superior. This DOES happen a lot it seems. Kipper and Iggy got to get back on a hot streak, becuase as they go this team goes. At least the team seems to be generating a lot of chances and throwing everything they have at the net now. Keep this up and great things will happen.

Saying that Anderson outplayed kipper is true to a point, however, how many crossbars and posts were hit in the game by the flames....a LOT,

you seem to have a personal vendetta to one of the goaltenders that many are placing in the top 3 of the year so far..

As I recall, Anderson faced 46 shots that didn't hit the post etc and he stopped 44 (.956). Kipper faced 21 shots and only stopped 19 (.904).

The difference between me and most media/fans in Calgary is that when Kipper plays excellent I point it out (read some of my earlier posts) but when he doesn't play well, including letting in a very soft goal in a very tight game that his team is dominating, I'm not afraid to say it, whereas most people won't say boo.

Tough for me to have a personal vendetta against Kipper - never met the man.

Telling weak coming up for the Flames - Col, Pit, Nashville - all good teams- and the Flames seem to play better agasint the good teams.

Brutal - three home Games - 3 goals, 3 losses, 1 point. They should have had 4 points at least (didn't see tonights game). We play Colorado 2 more times this year - hopefully Sutter gets the message and puts Curtis in.

How brutally offside was the play last night that anahiem scored it's 5th goal on??? am I the only one who was up screaming at the TV?? things like this are so crucial... and come at such bad times in the game... people wonder why I think the refs have a conspiracy... they only called what they HAD to call against anahiem... even though the sticks were on flames players hands all night.

How brutally offside was the play last night that anahiem scored it's 5th goal on??? am I the only one who was up screaming at the TV?? things like this are so crucial... and come at such bad times in the game... people wonder why I think the refs have a conspiracy... they only called what they HAD to call against anahiem... even though the sticks were on flames players hands all night.

Doesn't Matter. Unless you have goaltending - and Calgary does not have it right now, you will not win. Curtis terrible last night, Kipper brutal tonight. Last night the Flames outshot Anaheim 19-7 in the third and got outscored 2-0. Tonight Bryzgalov lets in 3 goals on 13 shots and he gets pulled. Kipper lets in 3 goals on 15 shots (4 of which resulted from juicy rebounds he sent right back (two of which ended up in the net) but you can't pull him, because his back-up is no better.

Flames absolutely dominate 3 of 4 games - lose all 4. Then tonight, they finally get outshot in a period, and the idiots on Sportsnot are falling over themselves about how badly the Flames played. There wasn't one goal in the first that a decent goalie wouldn't have stopped. The rebounds on the first goal and third goals were brutal and the Malholtra goal was weak as well.

I was going to make so much fun of the Flames last night...until I checked the Oiler's score. I have learned now to do that.

Only difference between the Oilers sucking and the Flames sucking is that one of those teams will make the playoffs. However, in consideration to keep the suspense, I won't spoil it for you and tell you which one...

:rolleyes:

So Brian, in a 9-1 game, can we blame it on the refs? Perhaps they were responsible for only the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 8th goals or something? :)

<--poke--<

Smitty

..........Only difference between the Oilers sucking and the Flames sucking is that one of those teams will make the playoffs. ..............

I'd rephrase that -- one of those teams might make the playoffs. And I'd add another difference -- one of those teams is going to get a top three pick.. :lol: Terry

Pretty freaking bad, and i won't blame it soley on Kipper. The defence was absolutely terrible. The offence was terrible..all in all, let's hope this rev's them up like last time they got wrecked by SJ

All around bad game. Consider though that Calgary outshot Colorado by virtually the same margin 42-21, and outplayed them as badly as San Jose outplayed the Flames last night, yet Colorado WON 3-2.

Flames deserved to lose last night, but should have be 4-1 at the worst.

...Oh, and Oilerz Fans are finding out why they had a big party in Montreal when Souray signed with Edmonton. :lol:

SJ has the best top line in the league.....be hard for them not to score 9 goals when the flames are playing that badly

8 different players scored so that theory doesn't wash. Did you watch the game?

Oh.... the party was bigger when Komo left but not as big as the party in NY when they traded Gomez!!

Funny how everyone gets so bent out of shape over the San Jose loss. It was a bad game. In my opinion, it was the first time they were outplayed badly in 12 games. In 7 of the 11 previous games, the Flames outplayed the opposition by a serious margin.

In 3 of the previous 4 they outplayed and badly outshot the opposition, but lost. Those are the losses that bothered me. The stinker against San Jose - it happens. They were outplayed, but no worse than Washington was outplayed last night (Washington outshot 46:23 won and the game) and as I said previously, no worse that Colorado was outplayed by the Flames last week (Colorado Outshot 46-21 and Colorado won the game). San Jose outshot the Flames 46:22 and with Kipper playing as well as the other goalies (Anderson and Theodore) the Flames would probably have still lost, but not 9:1 and certainly those other two games showed that a team can be horribly outplayed and win a game. The Flames did it 3 of the first 4 games this season, based on stellar goaltending.

So - the San Jose game really didn't bother me. They lost, but deserved to lose. It was the previous 4 losses that were really frustrating to me, but hey, it happens.

There was a team last year that was 27-25-5 after 57 games - The Flames are currently 26-19-6 (if you count the loss they will suffer to Chicago tomorrow). That same team from last year lost 8 of 10 games from Dec 27 to Jan 14th, including a humilating 6-1 home loss to the Florida Panthers (an 11th place team in the Eastern Conf at the time). The coach got fired on Feb 15th. That team ended up doing alright last year, ending up with a win in their final game on June 12th.

There was a team last year that was 27-25-5 after 57 games - The Flames are currently 26-19-6 (if you count the loss they will suffer to Chicago tomorrow). That same team from last year lost 8 of 10 games from Dec 27 to Jan 14th, including a humilating 6-1 home loss to the Florida Panthers (an 11th place team in the Eastern Conf at the time). The coach got fired on Feb 15th. That team ended up doing alright last year, ending up with a win in their final game on June 12th.

I understand what you're getting at, but please point out the 2 Flames forwards comparable to Crosby and Malkin. Not quite apples to apples, but hey, you can always hope.

Smitty

What does it take for the flames to get a 4 min penalty for high sticking drawing blood called for them. Last 3 high sticks against a Calgary player that drew blood netted the flames 2 mins in pp time, not that the flames pp is great. Getting a little sick of Calgary players heading For the bench with blood streaming down there face and no penalty called. First year I've watched hockey since the refs and review judges screwed Calgary when they scored the Stanley cup winning goal. Cant wait till the play offs when the refs really start sticking it to Canadian teams.

Am I alone in thinking that the Flames should trade Iginla while he's still worth something? I mean, they've gone through 10 wingers and God knows how many centres on his line, but they're still searching for the "right set-up guy for Iginla". Maybe it's time to question whether or not there really is such an individual.

What does it take for the flames to get a 4 min penalty for high sticking drawing blood called for them. Last 3 high sticks against a Calgary player that drew blood netted the flames 2 mins in pp time, not that the flames pp is great. Getting a little sick of Calgary players heading For the bench with blood streaming down there face and no penalty called.

Yup - Jay B looked pretty beat up. The thing about that was that the Flames were only about 20 seconds into their powerplay so it would have been 5:3 for 1min 40, followed by another 2 min 20 of 5:4. The Flames powerplay - Vancouver, Mtl, or Chicago it ain't - but it has been pretty good the past few games. The non-call on the high stick was the turning point in the game.

The last game I went to, Phaneuf got tossed about a minute in and then LA got that ridiculous Penalty Shot. Last nights Penalty shot was also brutal. I won't waste any more money on the NHL by going to watch that crap. Sutter has them playing his system perfectly - and it is brutally boring to watch. If your team is going to be horribly boring, the least they could do is win once in awhile. If Sutter can admit that it is his "System" that isn't working (not that they aren't playing his system), and HE needs to make some changes to how he expects them to play, then maybe they can turn it around and get back into a position to lose to Chicago or San Jose in the first round. I'll make my call at the Olympic break.

Not sure Iginla is worth much. Big contract and still has several years on it. If he has a good Olympics (and the Flames are still in the dumpster), much as I like Jerome, I'd trade him for a first round pick or a top prospect. In three years, no matter how bad the pick turns out, it'll be worth more than Jerome. Jerome deserves to play on a team that he can win with (Detroit or Colorado would be a good fit, but unlikley Sutter would let him stay in the West). He is one of my all-time favorites and it is tough to see him stifled by a system he obviously doesn't enjoy and is not successful in.

either change the system, or change the players. somethings got to give. Jarome's a great player, he just needs to get someone to light a fire under his a$$ again. seems he always says the right thing in an interview "oh yeah we need to bear down and work harder blah blah blah...." ... but do it on the ice for once. :$*%&: