Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

Can`t blame Kipper for our dismal PP....

Calgary is a very average team from the Center line all the way back- right back to the GM`s office....

and since you are calling Kipper out what about Iggy.

He didn't play any worse than any other top forward would against Seabrook/Keith. Plus, the Chicago players knew better than to fight him.. it wasn't for any lack of trying on his part.

I'd have Iggy captain my team any day.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can`t blame Kipper for our dismal PP....

Calgary is a very average team from the Center line all the way back- right back to the GM`s office....and since you are calling Kipper out what about Iggy.

Before last nights game - spoke with a friend who said he was going. I told him - Too bad. He asked why and I replied "I guarantee Kipper will let one of the first three shots in". I would have said first shot - but couldn't guarantee it. Turned out it was the first shot.

Iginla had on okay series, and a very good regular season (8th in points out of 500+ players). He was tied for 35th in points in the playoffs out of 318 players (tied with other losers like Bobby Ryan, Henrik Zetterburg, Corey Perry, Marian Hossa..). Was it his best playoff round - no - but it wasn't horrible either.

Start of Rant

In the regular season, Kipper was 32nd out of 46 qualified goalies in GAA, and 32 out of 46 in Save%. In the playoffs - he was 14th out of 17th in GAA, and 14th out of 17th on save% (.844 Save % won't win many series). Who was worse than Kipper? Carey Price, Steve Mason, and Jose Theodore. Mason is a Vezina candidate for his regular season and played the highest scoring team in the league in round 1 (he may not have played great, but you can see why the Coach would stick with him), Price was bad (don't hear many Canadians fans saying he was good), and Theodore only played one game.

Also consider that Kipper was the 5th highest paid goalie in the league this year. Chris Osgood 34th, Jonas Hiller 35th, Tim Thomas 37th. Here is the intersting thing. You know who the 4th highest paid goalie in the league was? No peeking. It was Jean-Sebastien Giguere. How did he play in the play-offs? Easy - he didn't play because the Anaheim GM was smart enough to know that after sucking last year and sucking for 46 games this year (he finished just behind Kipper at 37th in save% 42 in GAA) - he wasn't likely going to suddenly get great lead you to the Stanley Cup. You don't keep playing the guy even if he is locked in for a very high salary; you get some back-up talent that you trust to play. By making it through the first round, Anaheim will more than pay Giguere's high salary. Wonder if that worked for anyone else. Hey - how about the Capitals? Theodore is the 13th highest paid goalie in the league at $4.5 M/year. He played poorly for one game and he was pulled - because, again, the GM was ready for this by having a back-up he trusted and could go with. What did we have? Answer: Nobody knows because Curtis never got a serious chance to play anything more than a throw away game (back end of back-backs or thrown in when the Flmaes were down by 4). And what about Mr. Khabibulin? He was stinking it up this year as well. The difference is that Chicago had a back-up that they would play. Had Khabibulin played in the 1st and second games the way he did in the 3rd and 4th games, Huet would have been in for sure. I think it would have required complete decapitation of Kipper before Sutter would have let Keenan start McEllhinney.

What about Vancouver? They had a back-up with far better stats than Kipper for Save% and GAA in Curtis Sanford, but they still went out at the deadline and got Labarbera. Even though their top goalie was playing great. How hard would it have been for Sutter to get Labarbera?

I agree that the PP is/was terrible. I put that on Keenan and Sutter - at the start of the year it was one of the best (after 40 games they were in the top 5). Failure to work on it, made it predictable, and weak. Sutter getting Oli only made it worse. I think that with the PP the way it was, this team was not going to make it through the Conference even with great goaltending. But - they easily could have made it through Chicago with one or two really solid goaltending efforts. The two games they won were not because Kipper played great, but rather Khabibulin played poorly.

Other than Detroit or Pitsburgh - no team can win without great goaltending.

As for the defence. Take 3 of the 4 top defensemen out of any line-up and I expect you would say the defence was average. you could argue that Phaneuf played most games, but when you hear about the injuries he had BEFORE the season ended, you can see why he might not be 100%

End of Rant - I feel better.

I expect that Khabibulin will fold badly against Vancouver - thats the luck that Vcr has had this year.

For next year, NW willl be the weakest division in hockey and likley only the winner will make the playoffs.

You guys make a good point about Iginla too.

I watched the games... he looked lame. Couldn't hang onto the puck, and got outmuscled at every chance. He sucked too.... if your star player can't battle through some decent defence pairings, then maybe it's time to make some changes.

EDIT: this doesn't mean I am saying he sucks, he doesn't.. this doesn't mean I am saying "trade iginla".. no freekin way... BUT... he did nothing during the flames most important games 5 and 6... he was freekin invisible.

• 1 month later...

There's an article in today's Herald about how Dave Tippett would be a good replacement coach for the Flames (provided the rumor about Brent Sutter being just that, a rumor). How cool would it be for Calgary, home of the Bow River, to have a coach named "Tippett".

lol

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey...8937/story.html

I figured a bunch of Fly Fishers would enjoy the play on words. :P

• 3 weeks later...
Alright we picked up jay bouwmester and got rid of leopold woo hoo, and we got Prust back good day for the flames... Did anyone here about trading heatley for phaneuf that wouldnt bother me any...

They didn't pick up Jay, they picked up the right to talk to him. That's it. Nothing guaranteed yet.

Heatly for Phaneuf isn't going to happen either.

That's alot of money to spend for a gaurenteed first round playoff exit.

So, you're saying that it's a waste of money?

Just like your parents wasted money on school & tutors for you...

???"gaurenteed"???

:angel:smail:<--poke--< <--poke--< <--poke--< <--poke--< :angel:smail:

that was obvious at the beginning teh year imho brian.. we cant afford him and i dotn think sutter was planning on giving hima contract in the first place.... bring in a kiler player for a cup run on his last year of teh contract light it up get fat deal elsewere n be set for life! it sucks but its a business

So no one cares that there just going to let cammy go for nothing? Stupid moves .....

It's not like they didn't try to keep him. They didn't want to trade him at the deadline as they needed him for the playoffs, all five games of it. They did try to sign him so that he would stay, but he opted for Free Agency. The fLAMES knew that there would be the possibility of this happening when they traded for him, it's not like this was unexpected. There were rumors in January about how Cammaleri was going to the Leafs as a free agent.

We watched the draft on Friday night - I bet Mike some $$ that the Flames were gonna try and get their hands on Bouwmeester. BUT there's no way this deal is gonna happen without either Iggy, Phaneuf or Kipper gone. They don't have the salary cap room for what he's gonna want. His girlfriend and family are here in Calgary but he's not gonna come without a high price tag. Frankly, I'd give up Phaneuf for Bouwmeester but how much further ahead are we gonna be in the long run if the guy wants a high $$ long term contract. Just trading a high priced defenseman for another one at this point - but one who finished the year in better shape than Phaneuf. As for Cammalleri - we all knew he'd be gone anyways. Ya...I concur...big loss for the Flames, but it's not a surprise. Not sad to see Leopold go...he needs a few more years to reach his potential still. BUT...we're still all missing the big point here. The Flames need to work on their goaltending situation BIG TIME. I am surprised we've heard nothing about how they're going to develop that - and that's the one area where they desperately need to for the coming year. Mind you, without Keenan the goalie killer around anymore (HOW FRIGGIN' HAPPY AM I ABOUT THAT!!!), it might be a whole different ballgame with the current players. I just hope there's something going on behind the scenes.

We watched the draft on Friday night - I bet Mike some $$ that the Flames were gonna try and get their hands on Bouwmeester. BUT there's no way this deal is gonna happen without either Iggy, Phaneuf or Kipper gone. They don't have the salary cap room for what he's gonna want. His girlfriend and family are here in Calgary but he's not gonna come without a high price tag. Frankly, I'd give up Phaneuf for Bouwmeester but how much further ahead are we gonna be in the long run if the guy wants a high $$ long term contract. Just trading a high priced defenseman for another one at this point - but one who finished the year in better shape than Phaneuf. As for Cammalleri - we all knew he'd be gone anyways. Ya...I concur...big loss for the Flames, but it's not a surprise. Not sad to see Leopold go...he needs a few more years to reach his potential still. BUT...we're still all missing the big point here. The Flames need to work on their goaltending situation BIG TIME. I am surprised we've heard nothing about how they're going to develop that - and that's the one area where they desperately need to for the coming year. Mind you, without Keenan the goalie killer around anymore (HOW FRIGGIN' HAPPY AM I ABOUT THAT!!!), it might be a whole different ballgame with the current players. I just hope there's something going on behind the scenes.

Lynn,

The flames are working on their goalies, they signed curtis for 2 years and if he gets to play more this year watch out I think he will be a bright star for us in the future.

Also you will never see phenuf go cause he played for brett in red deer and was very good so watch out I think he will light it up this year.

As for Bouwmeester, the flames have 11 million open right now so it is a possiblity to see him here and with rehguer and phenulf watch out.

As for losing Camillierie that was seen a long time ago but the flames picked up ollie to replace him, look at camiliere's goals after we got oillie.

I think for having no real big draft choices I think the flames came out of it pretty dang good, wanting to see this kid the flames pick up out of the sweedish elite league and see what he can do.

With 5 sutters in the organization and a complete overhaul of the coaching staff I am very excited about see how the flames will do.

If the Canucks can't sign the twins by July 1, look for them to take a run at Bouwmeester (unless of course the Flames sign him before then).

Without the twins and Sundin, the canucks free up $16 Million in cap space. That buys a lot of help. look for at least one top line forward and one top 2 defensman, plus a couple of mid range helpers.

Luongo, of course, stays. If the Flames are looking for a goaltender, Cory Schneider may be available.

Well I'll be willing to bet Cammi made his decision to leave after he saw who was going to continue to be behind him for the next 4 seasons. Who wants to play in front of a goaltender who can't stop the first 5 shots? and was among the worst in the league this year. I guess I can't blame him.

I'm sorry to say it guys but as long as we stay with Mikka the cup isnt coming. He had two GREAT years, but that's it. Goalies wash up. He's done...

Rumour now is Phaneuf for Heatley.......

Nah I don;t think you will see that, wishful thinking.....

Big reason why I say Phaneuf will stay in calgary is the simple fact he was brent sutter all star defenseman when he coached him in Red Deer.

I personally think all big deals for Calgary are done with.

Who knows what can happen IN SUTTER WE TRUST

The signing of Bouwmeester was HUGE for Calgary. I didn't think he'd sign, but he did. Good on em. My concern is that they now have about $50 Million tied up in about 15 or 16 guys on a 26 man roster, according to Peter Mahr anyway. So how are they gonna sign 10 solid, quality NHLers on only $6 Million? Sure, they'll have a good defence, but they only have Iggy and Olli up front to put the puck in the net.

Unless they send away some salary to fill some other holes, I'm afraid they might make another early exit.