Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

I was there. Funny how that phantom hit slammed Kopitars head into the boards. And can someone explain to me how when two guys are racing for a puck on an icing situation the guy in front put himself in a vulnerable position? This stupid rule is going to get someone seriously injured one day. Hell, even Cherry thinks so. Not often anyone from outside Canada agrees with Don, but he's right on this one.

Phanuef was just a little pissed off because he didn't make team Canada.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you just watched the flames vs kings game, you'd agree. A phantom 5 minute major and a game suspension for playing the game of hockey, for phanuef (since when did good solid bodychecks get outlawed?), and a phantom penalty shot for the kings too. As usual the flames have to beat two teams, the one's wearing the opponents jerseys and those asshats wearing the black and white striped jerseys.

How do you figure? PIM CGY- 18 LA- 23. If you include the 10 min misconducts it was CGY- 38 LA- 43. I admit the penalty shot was pretty weak. Pretty bold statements you make about the reffing. That was a vicious hit/head shot on LA's premier forward. Im sure you would be singing a different tune if it was Iginla who got laid out. No?

Phanuef was just a little pissed off because he didn't make team Canada.

That's exactly what we said at the game! But we thought it was strange he would try to take out Kopitar. We thought Doughty should have been the one with his head on a swivel, what with three spurned Flames defencemen skating about.

And can someone explain to me how when two guys are racing for a puck on an icing situation the guy in front put himself in a vulnerable position?

When your beside a guy, both going at a high rate of speed towards the boards and you reach to poke the puck, you have put yourself in a vulnurable position, imo.

I do agree with you (and i am sure 90+% of hockey fans) on the stupidity of the icing rule.

One guy hit another guy, weather they were wearing different colors is of no cosequence. That and a phantom penatly shot. Im not saying the boarding call could have been or not called... fair enough... BUT A GAME MISCONDUCT??????????? Since f***ckin WHEN do guys who get a boarding call go off for the game? Find me one this year. And to top it off a penalty shot on a play where there was NO CHANCE the guy would have been alone and AT BEST it would have been a two on one for LA.

THAT's the kind of bullsh*t that gets me riled up.

and yes the flames got some PP chances and they suck at the PP we can all agree there. I think they were make up calls for the freekin crap going on... sometimes I swear one ref has an agenda and the OTHER ref starts evening things out.

PS: GO CONNIE!

The Flames are an average team with a bunch of above average players. When they get KO'ed in the first round again this year I think finally the Sutter clan will be sent down the road. 5 coaches in 6 years; the problem is not the players..

My prediction is they will finish 15th in the league standings and be golfing by the first week of May.

I was there. Funny how that phantom hit slammed Kopitars head into the boards. And can someone explain to me how when two guys are racing for a puck on an icing situation the guy in front put himself in a vulnerable position? This stupid rule is going to get someone seriously injured one day. Hell, even Cherry thinks so. Not often anyone from outside Canada agrees with Don, but he's right on this one.

I was there as well. Anyone who'd like to judge for themselves can go to youtube and watch the hit. After watching it several times at the game and aftewards, I can say that Kopitar's back hit the boards and his head hit nothing (not Phaneuf, not the boards, and not the ice). His helmet came off the after the hit - cause, like many NHL players, he is too cool to fasten the chin strap properly. Anyone in the NHL racing an icing (especially against Dion) needs to be ready for a hit, the fact that he wasn't is his fault.

Phanuef deserved 2 for interference. Since we are referring to Cherry, ask Don what he thinks of guys that lay on the ice after a hit trying to draw a major penalty, and then come out on the ensuing powerplay.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Click here if the movie does not play.

Definitions:

Boarding: ....Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player being knocked into the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

42.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of boarding an opponent (see 42.5).

42.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

<--poke--<

Maybe a game misconduct was not deserved...but rules were followed

Definitions:

Boarding: ....Any unnecessary contact with a player playing the puck on an obvious “icing” or “off-side” play which results in that player being knocked into the boards is “boarding” and must be penalized as such. In other instances where there is no contact with the boards, it should be treated as “charging.”

42.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player or goalkeeper guilty of boarding an opponent (see 42.5).

42.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

<--poke--<

Maybe a game misconduct was not deserved...but rules were followed

Except that the linesman had waived off icing (one of many bizzare calls in the game) - so it was not boarding. Neither player was near the puck.

Bottom line is that Phaneuf has demonstrated repeatedly that he really doesn't care if his hits are legal, borderline, or dirty. Good on the refs to try and rein him in.

Smitty

P.S. How's that database coming along, Hawg? :)

Nice game last night.

Other than the weak Flame powerplay and excellent Vancouver powerplay - total domination of play by the Flames. They really need to figure out how to get the puck in the net though.

Canuck fans show just how low they are with the laser in Kipper's eye thing.

Telling weak coming up for the Flames - Col, Pit, Nashville - all good teams- and the Flames seem to play better agasint the good teams. The only loser team they seem to be able to beat is Edmonton. Like last year - there is no rivalry with Edmonton, it only lasts for the first few weeks of the season before Edmonton drops so far down that it is just sad. Vancouver-Calgary rivalry is going strong though

I agree, the Edmonton rivalry is weak, but for some reason the Edmonton fans seem to think it is still competitive...that's like saying the Washington vs. Carolina/ Maple leafs rivalry is strong.

I think Vancouver is gonna be tough this year, especially in the playoffs.

Calgary really does need to get there act together on the PP, it's pathetic AGAIN (just like last year). If Calgary wants success in the playoffs and not another early exit they are gonna need stellar Goaltending, strong special teams and consistent secondary scoring.

Go FLAMES!

Frustrating loss. Colorado is brutal again but gets lucky.

Someone tell me just how pathetic Kipper has to play before the announcers will admit he was the difference. The second goal ranks in the top ten weakest goals this year - 5 of which I think Kipper has let in. Talk about Anderson all you want, but the Flames staked Kipper to a 2 goal lead and he let in two weak ones or it doesn't matter how many stops Anderson makes in the 3rd.

The only reason Col is even close to the top of the division is that Kipper has been outplayed by Anderson 4 times in a row - Col deserved to lose all four games. And all the idiots on Sportsnet can say is how good the Colorado team is playing. If the Flames had played the game Colorado did tonight, they would have lost 8-1 (all eight goals of which Kipper would have had "no chance" on) and all anyone would have spoken about is what a poor game the team played, how they aren't playing the system etc. etc.

The Flames absolutley dominated Colorado...again. Maybe one of the morons on Sportnet could just tell it like it is. Flames played great (including the PP) all night, Colordao terrible all night, Anderson played great AND Kipper played poorly.

Someone tell me just how pathetic Kipper has to play before the announcers will admit he was the difference. The second goal ranks in the top ten weakest goals this year - 5 of which I think Kipper has let in. Talk about Anderson all you want, but the Flames staked Kipper to a 2 goal lead and he let in two weak ones or it doesn't matter how many stops Anderson makes in the 3rd.

The only reason Col is even close to the top of the division is that Kipper has been outplayed by Anderson 4 times in a row - Col deserved to lose all four games. And all the idiots on Sportsnet can say is how good the Colorado team is playing. If the Flames had played the game Colorado did tonight, they would have lost 8-1 (all eight goals of which Kipper would have had "no chance" on) and all anyone would have spoken about is what a poor game the team played, how they aren't playing the system etc. etc.

The Flames absolutley dominated Colorado...again. Maybe one of the morons on Sportnet could just tell it like it is. Flames played great (including the PP) all night, Colordao terrible all night, Anderson played great AND Kipper played poorly.

ve liabil

l agree totally good statement, one thing l would like to see happen is Phaneuf traded he's the biggest defensive liabilty almost everygame l watch, far 2 overrated

I agree, the Edmonton rivalry is weak, but for some reason the Edmonton fans seem to think it is still competitive...that's like saying the Washington vs. Carolina/ Maple leafs rivalry is strong.

I think Vancouver is gonna be tough this year, especially in the playoffs.

Calgary really does need to get there act together on the PP, it's pathetic AGAIN (just like last year). If Calgary wants success in the playoffs and not another early exit they are gonna need stellar Goaltending, strong special teams and consistent secondary scoring.

Go FLAMES!

The Edmonton vs Calgary rivalry is weak, its now us vs Van thats the new rivalry, Anyways l getta kick outta all my edmonton buddys that are fans of the oilers. Every year at the beginning its were going to win the cup and kick calgarys butt. Then rate about now in the season there like wait till next year its like a cd that just keeps skipping lol

Saying that Anderson outplayed kipper is true to a point, however, how many crossbars and posts were hit in the game by the flames....a LOT,

you seem to have a personal vendetta to one of the goaltenders that many are placing in the top 3 of the year so far..