Fly Fusion Forums

Whirling Disease In Alberta

krk

Is it possible there is flow through a little power station right on Hwy 1 and then off to the Bow? Looks like most flow comes from Two Jack lake to the power plant.

Does anyone know if water goes from Johnson to the power plant via a gated pipeline?

At least there is Sebee, Ghost and Bearspaw in the way

Water out is Johnson Creek down towards TCH and the beaver ponds along the hoodoo area then percolates. Don't think there is a direct connection to the Bow via Johnson Lake, but I'm ready to stand corrected.

This is potentially a devastating event, but hopefully CFIA that has jurisdiction over the control of movement of both fish and humans, we will see containment of the disease. It is important for us to realize that the weather we have encountered this year puts fish under stress. Low Bow River flows, high weed growth with higher than normal water temperatures stress fish populations. Add Whirling Disease and thing will only deteriorate.

Hope they get on this stat. Not good.

Some opinions:

• It is higher than the valley and water flows downhill.... :P Unless there is a definitive barrier, the water will connect to the Bow drainage one way or another.
  • Origin? Who knows? But probably a tourist angler...just a few hours from MT. Or something else.
  • Totally agree with Bron. Nuke the lake ASAP with rotenone and federal eco regs be damned. No time for committee meetings and budget approvals.

OMG, I fished Johnson from circa 1957 to ~1961 .... used Black Gnats and McGiintys with a torpedo bubble and spinning rod. We used to drool at the occasional pig trout that would leap clear of the water out in the middle ... no craft allowed then.

I hope they get after this post haste.With this identified in Montana years ago,i am surprised that it has taken this long to rear it's uglyness here.Other countries that have it or even have had rumors of it.Have been very proactive NZ,Australia,etc.

Even more reason for us to all get behind,these inspection stn's & support the efforts.

• Like 2

As much as I hate to say it . After all the testing. If it is contained there " Yes nuke it " But as one of the many locals that start there float tube and canoe season in Johnson lake . I'm more concerned on how far has it already spread. Would be quite surprised if it is only contained to that water shed.

In that its in a lake that has been stocked its likely the fish were infected prior to stocking which is the way it has been spread primarily in the past most notably in Colorado even after they knew the fish were infected at the hatcheries...... but continued to stock them

To my knowledge current population is self sustaining. Not stocked for years now.

While in NZ had a couple of conversations about wd and the spread. NZers now find that the spread is more by trampers who may cross multiple stream in a day than anglers.

As for R. Not gonna happen. Remember Black Thursday a few years ago? Parks took a serious hit over a poisoning plan.

Does rotenone kill the parasite or just the fish it is infecting and the parasite lives on in the mud and continues to spread? I would like to know if this is a viable solution or a knee jerk reaction. As for how far it has spread I guess that would depend on how migratory the fish are..

Mike

• Like 1

Does rotenone kill the parasite or just the fish it is infecting and the parasite lives on in the mud and continues to spread? I would like to know if this is a viable solution or a knee jerk reaction. As for how far it has spread I guess that would depend on how migratory the fish are..

My thoughts exactly....From anything I've read, a dead fish infected with whirling disease is a much greater threat than a live fish with whirling disease. From my understanding, it is once the fish dies, that the disease multiplies and spreads. As far as I know, there is no known solution to completely eradicating the parasite. Tough situation.

Guys,

I attended the first WD conference in Alberta.

The Montana Biologist reported that he knew the fish in the Madison were in trouble for some years before he detected infected fish.

While he was concerned about the fish, FF types were rejoicing in the number of larger fish they were catching.

He also described the bug this way. " if an eagle ate a diseased fish, *hit on a river bank where the *hit dried out and 25 years later the *hit washed into the river, the disease bug would still be alive.

Browns are not effected as bad as rainbows. They grew up with the disease in their native lands.

Don

As far as I know rotenone will kill the worm host. How well it kills all of them, I have no idea. That being said, eliminating fish eliminates the things spreading the disease (people/fish). By suppressing the amount of worms/parasite in the lake to potentially be moved by waterfowl helps in that aspect.

But I'm totally talking out of my ass