Fly Fusion Forums

Your Favorite Dry Fly Rod

What would be your favorite rod for dry fly fishing.

I've been running a Sage SP + 490 since 1996.

I think it's great only because it's what I've gotten used too.

Messed around with a few others the last 10 years & always back to the Sage.

I've been interested in trying a glass rod but know zero about them. Love to cast one but none of my buddies have one.

I should say that 90% of my fishing is on the bow.

Let's hear what you fish & why.

I have to agree with its what you get use to.

I got a 5wt fenwick that I payed $200 for 20 yrs ago and it is still my favourite plastic rod.

It can fire out a ton of line or put it 2' from its target.

Custom cane 9' 3/2 5wt with new Hendon taper black beauty blanks - classic black beauty wraps - rose wood reel seat and fighting butt. It flexes almost tip to tail and is always the prettiest stick on the water.

• Like 1

I'm really liking my new glass rod (epic 686), if you would like to try it send me a pm. There is a field right by my house where you can make some casts. As you can see from the various responses, some guys like a fast rod like a z axis and some like a more moderate action.

Im gravitating to slower rods now. Its easier for me to feel glass and bamboo rods load. They have great tippet protection, and it's easy to cast in close with only a foot or two of line out. Plus when you hook a fish, they really bend and you feel every head shake.

It would be good to head to a shop like fish tales and get them to line up a bunch of rods with different actions in your price range (they do carry some glass rods as well). Then try casting them at the distances you typically dry fly fish, which is really important. Go on a slower day and place some targets out or try to pick off some dandelions. There will be rods that just work better for you.

I'm really liking my new glass rod (epic 686), if you would like to try it send me a pm. There is a field right by my house where you can make some casts. As you can see from the various responses, some guys like a fast rod like a z axis and some like a more moderate action.

Im gravitating to slower rods now. Its easier for me to feel glass and bamboo rods load. They have great tippet protection, and it's easy to cast in close with only a foot or two of line out. Plus when you hook a fish, they really bend and you feel every head shake.

It would be good to head to a shop like fish tales and get them to line up a bunch of rods with different actions in your price range (they do carry some glass rods as well). Then try casting them at the distances you typically dry fly fish, which is really important. Go on a slower day and place some targets out or try to pick off some dandelions. There will be rods that just work better for you.

Appreciate the offer, I will take you up on that.

I didn't realize the shops were carrying glass rods.

I'll have to try one for sure to see if it's what I'm after.

Dry fly only Ouch, that is a really tough one, Bought and sold quite a few rods over the years. Wrestled with this one as I have a few sticks; I think you would also have to break it down to the water you are fishing. Dry fly rods for the large rivers like the Bow or Colombia or for smaller intimate streams. Then again Lakes provide another challenge. Couldn’t possibly be a single rod for me, and I’m leaving out a bunch. But these end up in my hand the most and I would not sell, only because they suite my style of casting.

Bamboo
Lee Wuff Classic Midge 6’ 5 wt.
Montague Red Wing Light Trout 8'6" 5 wt.
Leonard Baby Catskill 5' 2/2

Fiberglass
Fenwick 7.5′ 5wt Feralite
Phillipson 8.5′ 5/6wt
Mountain Brook 3 wt.
Berkley Parametric Curt Gowdy Signature 4 wt.
Phillipson Challanger 7.5 ft 4 wt.

Graphite
Loop Opti Stream
Loop AEG 5 wt

• Like 1

I have an 8'6" 5wt TFO BVK for the Bow, and an 8'0" 3wt TFO BVK for the small streams.

I have to say, I love them both. Particularly the 5wt. I love the feel of the 8'6" length for casting. It was one of the first things that I noticed when I learned how to fly fish and tried a number of different weights and lengths during the class. They recommended trying different sizes and the 8'6" just felt the best to me, and it just suck with me ever since.