Fly Fusion Forums

Brown Versus Rainbow

At the end of the day, all fish feel good.

However, considering your question, I would have to say brown. The main reason is because in my history of fishing on the bow, I've caught about 3x as many bows as browns. That's why, whenever I get a brown I'm a bit more excited. I remember one day this winter where I caught 3x as many browns as bows and think the universe reversed that day or something. Having said this, I LOVE catching bows and think they fight much better. For some reason I feel they run more, jump more and are just harder to land. The browns, for me, are harder to find.

Anyone know what the ratio of browns to bows to whities are?

In Barry Mitchell's "Fishing the Forestry Trunk Road" he explains in one of the first chapters about a study done in a lake with various types of trout. If memory serves me correctly, Bulls and Cutts were the statistically the easiest to catch. All things being equal, for every five of those you catch, you could expect to catch one Rainbow. For every five rainbows you catch, you can expect to catch one brown. Soooooo for every brown, you should expect to catch 25 cutts.

I'm not sure how reliable the "scientific" data for these findings are but if they are even remotely accurate (and I'll assume there is some truth here) then catching a brown is statistically more rewarding. I would also have to say that for me, there is just something about a brown that I love. Can't put my finger quite on it but brown's are really what get my heart pumping.

Cheers.

I have never fished the Bow. I hear it is a good river for trout! C'mon SJW!! No really..............I have never fished the Bow!!..REALLY!!!!!

Who wants to show me how?

P.S I don't "bait fish" as a rule but I would like to learn,.

Browns and whites are strong fish and whill leave your reel screaming, but the rainbows are the true acrobats. I find if you are getting into rainbows on the Bow, you can usually throw on another split shot and hook a whitefish. As for Browns they are a little more shy, hiding under cover lika a bank or fallen tree, o rjust in the shade. For that I think its pretty hard to guess population based on fishing numbers. But a catch ratio is probably 5:1:1 Bows, Browns, whites

Matt

Whitefish biomass is something like 5x that of bows in the Bow, even if you don't catch many. I generally try not to catch rockies, although they can be a blessing on a slow day. Big brownies are where it is at because of the stealth involved in targeting them, and the way they bulldog straight to the bottom and hang in the current.

Personally I catch more browns to rainbows about 3-1, I will have to crunch numbers from my journal to get an exact ratio..... I wish it was the other way around but I tend to find I am always a few browns in for the day and left searching for bows. Maybe that will change for me this season as I am spending WAY more time on the bow lately...... damn bow with it's addictive super awesome feesh. I can't imagine a place in the world where I could be surronded with garbage and have as much fun

Tough question. After catching several of either species, I always want to catch the other just for the diversity. But if you told me I could only catch one? Give me a big rainbow when they are at their peak. I remember a 22" during runoff last year that hit my backing in like 5 seconds. Like hooking onto a rocketship. They are just a riot to catch.

Out with bhurt the other day and hooked a bow quite a ways out and it just took off. The first time ive actually had my fingers burnt! The way this thing pulled i thought i was for srue on a two footer, but when i got it in close is was maybe just over 20. Love the jumps and runs the bows make, but nothing beats a mean ass lookin brown!

Both are good fighters in my experience with the overall edge going to the rainbow. However the absolutely most explosive fish I've taken have been browns. They're the ones that hit the air five times in the first five seconds and rip off the entire flyline before slowing a bit. Most of the browns are a slower paced fight than the average bow, but it's those occasional dynamiters that keep you guessing. I usually feel just a little more cagy about fooling a big brown, so I'd say that browns are my favorite overall.

For me I love all fish, but my fav so far is without a doubt the browns. Browns are always pretty to look at espically the hawgs with the big narly look. Love the way the fight, big strong headshakes and huge runs.

Bows are a great fight also, I love how they twist and turn and take off in all diffrent directions.

Does anyone get a tinge more pleasure landing a rainbow or brown on the Bow? if so why?

I get more pleasures from brownies :o) (or brunettes;)), because they are livelier... they are also more difficult ;) to get here, where I live. ;) hehe

(Some more smilies were added.)

I get more pleasures from brownies (or brunettes;), because they are livelier... they are also more difficult to get here, where I live. ;)

wheres that? cause here the browns roll allot, and the bows tend to be more acrobatic. therefore, the rainbows are typically more fun to catch.

wheres that? cause here the browns roll allot, and the bows tend to be more acrobatic. therefore, the rainbows are typically more fun to catch.

I guess I should have put more smilies... but I am sure you will get it. :D

Talking about trouts :o), rainbows are more difficult to catch and they jump more often. However, I think cutts are even more acrobatic and we lost more when they were planted in one river. I note again, that we have less brownies here, so we prefer catching them. :) Also, I noticed that when were hooked and broke off, they are more cautious and require more time "to rest" before any success with them. Rainbows sometimes are just pretty hard headed and will hit the fly again and again.