Fly Fusion Forums

"camping" Suggestions

My wife and I just found out the hard way what it's like to camp with a 6 month old! Next time we're going to rent a camper trailer to make it easier.

Do you have any suggestions on provincial (or national) campgrounds within 3 hours of Calgary? My wife really wants to go somewhere that would allow for swimming. I wouldn't mind taking cast or two if time permits.

We are looking at Dinosaur Provincial Park, I was also looking at Dutch Creek. Any other places we should look at?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Old McDonald Farm on Buffalo Lake:

(Hopefully there is no blue green algae warning).

http://www.olmacdonalds.com/rates.html

I think there's fishing for pike.

Or, maybe a bit cold for swimming, but Kananaskis country, Mt Kidd is family friendly (and booked waaaay in advance):

https://www.mountkiddrv.com/

Can try fishing Upper / Lower K, there are some creeks in the area too,

Of course, Sylvan Lake. Great fishing lake, by the way, hear it is fishing well. Pine lake too, lots of family related activities.

Do you want to be close to the mountains? Go with Kananskis or Beaver Mines suggested above. Or try Waterton.

My only issue with Drumheller area - well, any area in Eastern AB - is that the heat can really settle in during July / August. Without A/C in the trailer, I find sleeping difficult. :) When you're close to the mountains, at least it cools down in the evenings. :)

Smitty

• Like 1

I second Old Macdonald. Great fishing for Pike. They have a nice beach. I haven't ever heard of a blue green algae problem there its a really big lake. Our kids get mad when we go anywhere else, they would live there if they could.

• Like 1

We really like Chinook Lake... Water is a little cold for my liking for swimming, but our kids never seemed to mind. There is a small swimming area that always kept our little ones entertained for hours. Our favourite camping spot when our kids were pre-school age was Kikomun Creek.

• Like 1