Fly Fusion Forums

Shout Outs

Well I am hoping this thread gets lots of inputs like the jokes to share thread! There are many opportunities to give a "shout out" or "thanks" to those that contribute to our fisheries and waterways. Many of these folk do so unselfishly, quietly, and never for themselves. They are giving, hard working and committed individuals that not a lot of people even know the efforts of these folks. People like this could include: guides who give back to the river, or go out of their way to make someone's day even greater, Fish & Wildlife Officers that do more than we know, all those who have helped someone new enter the world of fly fishing, those who are always trying to enhance our fisheries, and our lands. Those that are part of study groups so that we all can learn about our impact on our rivers, etc. I hope you get the idea?

In this thread, I would like to give a Shout Out to JPinkster for his recent involvement with the Oldman River Poachers. You really raised the awareness of poaching in general, you also raised public knowledge of our fisheries, and did so in a way that was respected, and professional! Here's a toast to you Jordan! Nice work!

C'mon folks, let's give these folks the recognition that they never ask for, but so deserve to be mentioned!

Cheers

• Like 3

Well I am hoping this thread gets lots of inputs like the jokes to share thread! There are many opportunities to give a "shout out" or "thanks" to those that contribute to our fisheries and waterways. Many of these folk do so unselfishly, quietly, and never for themselves. They are giving, hard working and committed individuals that not a lot of people even know the efforts of these folks. People like this could include: guides who give back to the river, or go out of their way to make someone's day even greater, Fish & Wildlife Officers that do more than we know, all those who have helped someone new enter the world of fly fishing, those who are always trying to enhance our fisheries, and our lands. Those that are part of study groups so that we all can learn about our impact on our rivers, etc. I hope you get the idea?

In this thread, I would like to give a Shout Out to JPinkster for his recent involvement with the Oldman River Poachers. You really raised the awareness of poaching in general, you also raised public knowledge of our fisheries, and did so in a way that was respected, and professional! Here's a toast to you Jordan! Nice work!

C'mon folks, let's give these folks the recognition that they never ask for, but so deserve to be mentioned!

Cheers

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words. I'm so thankful to have a wonderful network of people here that have WAY more knowledge and understanding about our fisheries than I could ever hope to have.

My shout out is to our wonderful fly fishing community; first class!

• Like 2

Don Anderson

• Bamboo rod maker extraordinaire
  • Watcher of the waters
  • Advocate of threats to our resource
  • Vocal spokesman for our resources for longer than some of our forum members have been alive.

Have to agree with the above. Don always took the time to answer my sometimes dumb questions back when i was a noob to fly fishing. It was always appreciated.

• Like 1

I would have to say that Don Anderson for sure. Barry Mitchell ranks pretty high on my list too. Bob Scammell I love Bobs column been reading it for ever. Finely Dave and Amelia Jensen I can't thank them enough for how much I've learned from following their adventures.

• Like 1

I'll give one to Don Anderson

It was his rant about plastic rods ( god I wish I would have saved it so I could share with you guys )

That got my interest in cane and cane restoration many years ago.

Also his way of keeping the gov. On there toes.

Folks,

Appreciate the kind words.

Alberta owes a huge thank you for many of the folks who have worked to keep our fishery healthy.

The private sector guys who include Bob Scammel who while President of the Alberta fish and Game Association got the Buck for Wildlfe off the ground, Lloyd Graff whose efforts to get bank stabilization work on Prairie Creek was the forerunner of stream reclaimation work, Elmer Kure who was the Man of Water for many years, Martha Kostuch the champion of clean air and water,

Barry Mitchell whose fisheries activities are the stuff of legend, Tony Blake whose efforts got Bull Trout the protection and status deserved,

And I could go on and on.

And there are Govt folks who deserve recognition. Thiese include Mel Kraft, who put the Buck for Wildlife $'s to good use protecting Stauffer Creek, for his lead in the N. Ram C&R & his work with the Bull Trout Taskforce +, Carl Hunt for a long list of trout things, Jim Stelfox for Bull Trout and his efforts restoring native cuts, Lorne Fitch for the Cows and Fish program plus a sack full of very decent people who care about our fishery.

I hate doing these listings. I know I'm missing a pile of folks and I ask their forgiveness.

I have to recognize my wife of 47 years who without her support and understanding very few things would have been accomplished.

Regards all,

Don

Behind every great fishermen is a very understanding wife.

Great work Don.

My wife just said to me the other day "I feel like I'm missing out on something with this fly fishing thing." Think she may be moving from a quiet supporter to eventually joining me on the water.

Now on to my shout out. To Murray and Lornce for giving of their time to teach youngsters (and some not so youngsters) the art of tying. My son spent some time with Murray (at the Expo this year) tying his first fly, and he has done several more since. Heck, he even taught this south-pawed-clumsy how to whip-finish! As an "old" novice to the sport, my one regret so far is that I did not discover this gig as a kid, or at least as a young adult. I think the time spent at the tables at Expo will fix that for a lot of young lads and lasses. Appreciate that there were probably others who volunteered there too (kudos to you as well!), though I only met those two fine gentlemen when we were there.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Big Dirty (Streamer tips) and Big Foamy (photo step by step fly tying assistance). Both of you really helped me advance my fly fishing skills this year!

Finally to David, Nancy and the fantastic staff at FishTales for their patience with my questions and assistance throughout the season.

I was lucky enough to fish with Jay Jones, the Humble Fisherman exclusively for several years, that time took my fly fishing for trout to many new levels. In those several hundred days we fished I feel I was given the education of many life times. Although him and I don't see eye to eye every fish I catch is an extension of the time he mentored me.

These fellows deserve a well rounded thanks.I'll probably miss a few,they had a share in helping develop,moderate,watch over.A lot of our quality lakes they wouldn't be in existence,for not these guys .Don Andersen,Allan Caldwell,Clive Shaupmeyer,Jim Stelfox,Peter Little,Jeff Wilson.There are more unsung fighters for our fisheries..Thanks

• Like 3