Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Help

Guest Apple

Guest Apple

Hi guys,

I was recently laid-off from a camp job, and have move in with my grandmother here in Calgary. I thought what the heck good time to pursue my lifelong dream of becoming a fishing guide. (this was my carreer plan 5 years ago but landed a sweet camp job that derailed my dream lol!) I'm in need to learn boat rowing, some casting (I m an OK caster but could use some pointers) and set up techniques asap. I called a few guiding co's that I found and I got lucky and found an outfit that requires a guide this season! I dont have a bunch of guiding experience (worked at a pike/walleye lodge as an assistant, dock hand 5 summers ago) Id be willing to row someones boat as they fish in exchange for the experience I will gain as well as seeing how you set up for different situations, rising fish, nimphing, etc.

Thanks!

Hi Apple,

Ah, welcomes to the forum...

No insult intended, but you say have someone willing to hire yours a guide and you have little (or no) experience?! Seems a little unrealistic... I am an ACMG (Association of Canadian Mountain Guides) certified hiking guide and we have numerous certifications that we require to even apply for membership and that's before a specific course and exam (with many hours of internship) before certification (I'll add that I have guided numerous rafting trips down in Idaho). I realize there is no legislation in AB currently to be a (fly) fishing guide, but I would expect that you need quite a bit of experience in order to ensure your clients are safe and enjoy their time on the water... At minimum a wilderness first aid course and swift water rescue certificate. If not, you are definitely setting yourself up for a lot of legal issues. Having a couple of opportunities to row a boat and set up various nymph rigs is definitely not enough experience on the water. I realize you have to start some where but are you sure you are ready to call yourself a fly fishing "guide". Southern Alberta rivers (The Bow) and streams are not easy to fish on your own, let alone with the pressure and expectations from clients for you to get them "into" fish...

In my opinion you are not even close to being ready as A LOT goes into gaining the experience you will need to do this job and you need many more years on the water.

Of course this is just my opinion. I hope a few fly fishing guides chime in.

Peter

• Like 3

Peter, I'd be more curious about who said they need a guide without ever having the guy on the river. However, this is hardly unheard of. So many guys buy a boat and decide that they're 'the deal'. Worse is the 'outfitters' that employe them with that lack of experience. There are virtually no requirements, it is completely self regulated. Hell, I know of a least one person who became a guide after three days behind the drift boat oars but could talk a good game...

I want to know who the outfitter is so I can point a big ol keep away sign...

During my guiding time, I fixed one broken finger, several broken hearts, saved one guy from a heart attack, another from having his wife throw him overboard, several hooks from body parts, a delightful guy form Tokyo from a large Grizzly, and many guys from themselves. I endured brow beatings, I told you so's, one actual beating, some tearful reunions, witnessed parental bonding and helped along one marriage proposal. Been bit by kids, bit by horses, bit by clients and bit by flies. Enjoyed professional and amateur anglers alike. Made lifelong friends and saw some pass. I've never been diminished.

Wouldn't have traded it for the world.

• Like 6

Peter, I'd be more curious about who said they need a guide without ever having the guy on the river. However, this is hardly unheard of. So many guys buy a boat and decide that they're 'the deal'. Worse is the 'outfitters' that employe them with that lack of experience. There are virtually no requirements, it is completely self regulated. Hell, I know of a least one person who became a guide after three days behind the drift boat oars but could talk a good game...

I want to know who the outfitter is so I can point a big ol keep away sign...

No $hit Sherlock

BK

Peter, I'd be more curious about who said they need a guide without ever having the guy on the river.

To be fair he only said that an outfit was looking for a guide this summer, not necessarily that they were going to hire him.

I will agree with the sentiments expressed so far. I have friends who are guides, I've been guided, I've rowed a boat (once), and I've been fly fishing for over 20 years. Guiding is not as easy as it sounds and can't really be learned or taught in just a month or two.

I think the word "guide" is perceived to be someone in the know, someone that can be trusted, someone that is old and wise, not in years, but experience. When I drop 500 bucks to go fishing, my expectation is that the guide should know more than me! He should be aware of where the holes are, weather, rigs, food for the day, safe boating, in essence, he/ or she takes all of the worry out of the day, and allows that client to have a thoroughly enjoyable day, even when the fish are "off". I am not interested in spinning down the middle of the river chucking worms with a bobber I used to use with real worms! I look forward to the guides knowledge, and hopefully to come away at the end of the day, having learned something, and had a great experience. I myself, thought about guiding, but after a couple years of rowing my buddies down the river, because they couldn't row to save their life, I have decided that it takes an awful lot of knowledge, patience, be a great talker, know entomology like the dickens, and being on the water everyday during storms, winds, rains, snarky clients, good clients, and all of the rest of the endures needed to be a great guide, that I am just not one of those special persons. I certainly appreciate them and expect them to be held to the highest standards as a service provider. Cheers to guides!

• Like 3

Hi guys,

I was recently laid-off from a camp job, and have move in with my grandmother here in Calgary. I thought what the heck good time to pursue my lifelong dream of becoming a fishing guide. (this was my carreer plan 5 years ago but landed a sweet camp job that derailed my dream lol!) I'm in need to learn boat rowing, some casting (I m an OK caster but could use some pointers) and set up techniques asap. I called a few guiding co's that I found and I got lucky and found an outfit that requires a guide this season! I dont have a bunch of guiding experience (worked at a pike/walleye lodge as an assistant, dock hand 5 summers ago) Id be willing to row someones boat as they fish in exchange for the experience I will gain as well as seeing how you set up for different situations, rising fish, nimphing, etc.

Thanks!

I think you're on the right track. Pursue your dreams. Here's what you need to do...

Get out on the river fishing year round, at least 200 times a year for a few years and offer to row anyones boat spring/summer/fall. Failure will be your master instructor. The Bow will teach you many valuable lessons beyond mere fishing.

And one more thing.... you need to be able to spell "nimphing" correctly.... It's on the "Guide Test".

• Like 5

I think you're on the right track. Pursue your dreams. Here's what you need to do...

Get out on the river fishing year round, at least 200 times a year for a few years and offer to row anyones boat spring/summer/fall. Failure will be your master instructor. The Bow will teach you many valuable lessons beyond mere fishing.

And one more thing.... you need to be able to spell "nimphing" correctly.... It's on the "Guide Test".

Good advice, guy certainly doesnt need to be professionally flamed lol!!! Geez, talk about a harsh dose of reality and knowledge. I think he was just wondering how to get in the game :( its not to hard around here.

I would love for some guides to chime in here...tell us your story on how you became a guide, what steps you took and how you became a professional.

Might help this young guy out.

I am sure there are a million different ways that guys got into the profession and once they made that decision the million different paths that they took to become a professional.

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Thanks!

I think he is already on the right path and has a job. This is a good way to learn the ropes, with a guiding company to gain experience.

I would like to know how many guides on the Bow River are an ACMG. It got brought up like it should mean something so I would like to know? I don't care what your resume says, go post it somewhere else. Guy was just asking a question or making a statement, you really put them in there place though. That person will probably never come here again.

• Like 1

ACMG (Association of Canadian Mountain Guides) has nothing to do with fly fishing. I brought it up as an example of the certifications and training required for other "Professional" guiding streams, i.e., Mountain Guides/Ski Guides/Hiking/Climbing Guides, etc. There are organizations that do certify fishing guides and raft (rowing) guides, however and Alberta needs to start requiring a decent "minimum" standard like some other provinces and states where fly fishing is popular.

*EDIT* And I would go so far to say that the majority of "Professional" Fly fishing guides in Alberta that work within a Provincial Park (e.g., Fish Creek, Kananaskis) don't even get the proper permits to do so legally (ethically). So resume, no, Soap Box, yes!

P

I would like to know how many guides on the Bow River are an ACMG. It got brought up like it should mean something so I would like to know? I don't care what your resume says, go post it somewhere else. Guy was just asking a question or making a statement, you really put them in there place though. That person will probably never come here again.

During my guiding time, I fixed one broken finger, several broken hearts, saved one guy from a heart attack, another from having his wife throw him overboard, several hooks from body parts, a delightful guy form Tokyo from a large Grizzly, and many guys from themselves. I endured brow beatings, I told you so's, one actual beating, some tearful reunions, witnessed parental bonding and helped along one marriage proposal. Been bit by kids, bit by horses, bit by clients and bit by flies. Enjoyed professional and amateur anglers alike. Made lifelong friends and saw some pass. I've never been diminished.

Wouldn't have traded it for the world.

This was the best thing I've read all day.

Guest Apple

Thanks to those who offered the positive feedback. as well thanks for the PM's I will be in contact.