Fly Fusion Forums

Rod Advice Sought....

Sage

New here, so will start with seeking some experienced insight.

Relatively new to fly fishing, started back in the Fall 2014 after 20+ year absence (due to a Golf obsession).

I bought a 6wt 9' rod late in 2014 that I plan to use for streamers and nymph fishing.

My dilemma is on the 5wt........

If I'm going to use a 5wt for mostly dry fly and light nymph fishing, should I grab a 8.6' or 9' ? or is there so little difference it does not matter?

Useage: 99% of my fishing will be on the Bow from shore/wading.

Veteran advice appreciated.

My person preference, for me, and only for me is an 8'6"....for the type of fishing and locations you mention.

I find I am more accurate with an 8' 6", and it seems to load better, for me, at shorter ranges. When I am in a boat however, for me, the 9' kind of comes into it's own. On shore, walk and wade stuff, the 8'6" works better.

You need to cast both lengths before deciding for yourself. When you test cast, make sure you aim at some targets, at 2 ranges, suggest 30' and maybe 45'.

Also suggest you just use your 6 wt for now and decide later once you get some time on it. Suggest lawn casting at targets as well, which you can do right today if you wanted.

• Like 3

The 9' footer will help if you're planning on doing a bit of light nymphing. the 8'6" will be better if just doing a dry rod.

Personally, unless I'm in a boat, I'm only carrying one stick, so it's going to be my 9' 5 weight. Carrying two rods is too much work to be much fun. And yes, my quiver includes pretty well everything from 3-8

I have an 8'6" 5wt that I use for dries on the Bow. Regardless of weather I am floating or walk and wade. I just prefer the feel of the 8'6" vs the 9'0".

My nymph rod is a 9'6" 6wt. I like the extra length for mending and roll casting. I have also recently discovered that it chucks streamers pretty damn well too.

May need to sell my 10'0" 7wt that I currently use for streamers......

• Like 1

I have a 9'6 Sage one 5wt, and it sure does a better job casting double streamer rigs, with a streamer tip line then any Loop, or Loomis 7wt i've owned. Jayhad can attest to that.

Im pretty sure it could do anything. It nymphs beautifully with an indicator line and with a rio gold i bet it drops dry flies into a teacup.

When I first read this, I wondered why you would drop down to a 5 weight rather than drop 2 full sizes down to a 4 weight. The 4 weight will Handel most of the fish you will catch on the Bow and will cast dry flies all day long. It will also be a good rod for the smaller mountain streams. The six weight will be a good all roun rod capable of nymphs, streamers and windy conditions.

• Like 2

Thankyou for the replies and advice so far......I had not considered a 4wt before. So if I was to go to 4 wt, do I go to 9' or drop to an even shorter length?

Still undecided on my end but have time to consider ( and cast ) all options at this point in the season.

Do most of you use a 6wt then as your Bow River all round rod?

As bcube noted, perhaps lugging two rods up and down the river banks might be a bit arduous.

I agree that packing two rods is something that I don't do. Almost lost my 4 weight doing just that. I do on the other hand always have a backup rod in the vehicle in case I break the one I'm using. At least then, I can continue to fish. As for length of a 4 weight, I would suggest a rod shorter than 9 ft. Maybe 8 1/2 ft or 8 ft.

If you would like to meet up on the river, I can bring my 4 wt.and 5 wt. you cast them all.

8' - 3 wt

9' - 6wt

9' - 8wt

Primary rod and a back-up in the truck or boat.

Bow, 6wt with a 3wt in the boat (or the 8 on windy days) 3 and 8 in the truck when wading

Streams, 3wt with the 6 in the truck

Lakes and pike, 8wt with the 6 in the boat

Works for me.

• Like 1

Rocky road fly rods...wait'll you look over and realize you now own one 2wt, two 3wts, three 4wts, four 5wts, at least six 6wts, a 7wt 8wt 10wt and can't think of a single good enough reason to shed any of them.

• Like 1

My first setup was a 6wt with plans to get a 4 next (which was officially added on Dec 25th). Meanwhile I picked up a "used" 5wt from a friend, which had never seen the water; probably won't fish it much, as I primarily bought it for a backup. Next up, I need an 8 for slough sharks, and thanks to the fellas here now have a 2wt fiberglass on my shopping list too. After those two are added, then probably another 6wt in a 10', primarily for stillwater. Hence my meme post on superbowl day.

All that said, it is tough for me as a novice to tell the difference between an 8.5 and a 9'. Maybe a 9 is a little easier to mend, but even that's a stretch for me to say at this point. I went to an 8.5' for my 4 wt... was shooting for an 8' I think, but the deal on the 8.5' was too good to pass up. Thinking my 4wt will be used primarily on the Crow & Castle, wanted something better suited to some of the tighter spots I'll be fishing there.

From your post , dry fly rod , but as you stated you might also use it for light nymphing ,

If I had to pick just one rod in 5 wt for the bow , it would be a 9 ft ,

I think a person is limiting himself to just one rod , nothing wrong with trying to pick up a few extra ones ,

My choices in rods to fish the bow ,

Streamer rod in a strong 6 wt , if you like casting double streamers then a 7 wt

Nymphing stick in 10 ft & 5 wt

Dry fly rod would still be a 8 to 9 ft bamboo in a 4 or 5 wt for light drys and even lighter tippets

And if you like swinging with a two handed rod , a nice switch or light trout spey rod in a 4/5 wt

Contrary to the first reply and aaa's preference,if I had to choose,I'd much rather have a longer rod for wading,and a shorter rod in a boat.Truth be told,I'd rather have a longer rod in any conditions,including tiny brush choked streams where casting is irrelevant,but reach is often an advantage.The difference between an 8'6" and 9' rod of the same model is so minuscule that it's hardly worth debating,but I can't think of a single advantage that the 8'6" would claim over the 9',but the longer rod holds a slight edge over the shorter model IMHO....ie;longer rods pick up more line with less effort,mend better,and for the wading angler,generally are able to aerialize more line when wading deep without slapping your backcast.Again,it's hardly worth arguing over 6",but say comparing the same model 10' to an 8'6",the 10 footer is the clear winner for mending and distance casting for 98% of angler's casting abilities......the other 2% can throw a 100' line with either a willow switch or a broom stick equally well.