Fly Fusion Forums

Still Water Boat

Birddog

depends what you mean by rough.. I have never had any issues.

I have 12'....36" floor Crestliner, love it. I would definitely get a 36" floor, 32" is not enough in my opinion. Extra 4" helps with stability. I usually fish in my boat alone as doing the two rod chronomid dance in BC.. with that said 2 guys can be done, just a little tight with gear. If you are going to fish with two in the boat majority of the time I would consider going to a 14'... you are however of course adding weight which can be a downside. Something to consider if you are putting on the roof of your truck or have a trailer.

Either way best way to still water fish, you won't be sorry if you pick one up

• Like 1

If you can trailer the boat instead of having to put it in the back of a pickup or on a topper / rack, I really strongly suggest a driftboat. Get a used low profile (for lake wind) and it'll be the most comfortable thing you've ever fished from. Plus if you rig a double anchor system you can position the boat just exactly the way you want it for casting to weed beds, etc

A drift boat?Really?

As for Jon boat this really depends on motor size.Flat front and a 20 hp on a 14' boat will knock your teeth out in a 1' chop.Slow the boat down say with a 4hp and its not to bad a little slap.Also when anchor you get the slap.If you plan on getting up on plain then a modified V hull is the better choice.Still rough in chop but a lot less then a flat bow.

If its something that your just going to row around in or use electric then look for a boat that is more open or isn't full of benches .Pole seats with the ability to walk around in and a deck up front for sight fishing is the shizza when it comes to still water fishing

I would never recommend a drift boat for lakes. I have used mine (a LP) for lake fishing numerous times, and they are hell, plus damn dangerous in a big wind. I hate taking my drifter in lakes, and rarely bother anymore. Not worth it

They're comfy, but super inefficient in lakes.

I've used my XL Hybrid on lakes many times and love fishing out of it. I set it up with a front anchor mount from Hyde and pyramid anchors on both ends and have comfortable fished in high winds no problems. I Hardly even notice the waves in my Hyde and I've fished in 50 km/h winds a few times lol.

• Like 1

Similar to green drake, I own the XL low profile, outfitted with anchor systems on the front and back, along with a motor mount, and powered by a minnkota 80lb thrust. I also own a 10' Harbercraft fly fisher. While i wouldn't recommend the drift boat for one man, i would take the drift boat for multiple people any day. I have fished out of 1236 jons with 2 people and hate how unstable they are. Then you're next boat is the 1436-1442 and then you likely have to trailer it... yadda yadda yadda, drift boat always wins IMO.

That being said, for one man boats, i like a short pram in the bed of a truck. More then one person, i'll take a properly rigged low profile drift boat any day.

Keep in mind... welded vs riveted... towing a riveted boat on a trailer down a gravel road is a good way to ruin your boat. Lots of leaks in no time. Riveted is way lighter, and perfect for small boats to drop in the bed of a pickup, or roof rack, but not so good for towing down bumpy roads. Welded will be heavier and more expensive and hard to handle by yourself, unless its on a trailer. But far less prone to leaks and even usable in rivers... provided it is set up correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree! I have a 1648 with a 30 hp jet and have used it in bC on lakes like Whitetail, Premier and Whiteswan Lakes. I find my boat very very stable on the flats. Easy to stand up in, not a lot of wind resistance, and overall comfortable. Only thing is you need a trailer and its always nice to have someone to assist you putting in and taking out. River fishing is awesome in these boats as well.

My 2 cents worth...

Cheers

Cgyguy