Fly Fusion Forums

Treat Our Alberta Headwaters Like The Treasures They Are - Petition

If you support this initiative, I encourage you to sign the petition below, if you don't, don't...

A century of clear cut logging, oil and gas development and out-of-control off-road vehicle abuse has left the headwaters of the South Saskatchewan River fragmented and scarred. Natural river flows are 12% lower than in the mid twentieth century. Climate change will only make things worse.
Alberta is about to release a South Saskatchewan regional land use plan that was prepared with wide citizen consultation. But special interest groups with a stake in business-as-usual want to ensure it contains no limits on off-road abuse, increases clear cut logging, and promotes more development.
Those who care about healthy landscapes, clean rivers and future water security need a chance to inform the government that they support a plan that keeps the mountains and foothills green and healthy by establishing new parks, restricting off-road vehicles to official trails, replacing clear cutting with restoration logging, and repairing landscapes damaged by past industrial and motorized abuse.
Healthy intact headwaters don't just produce more and better water - they yield better fishing and hunting, more secure and productive habitat for elk, grizzlies and native trout, and the aesthetic and ecological qualities that yield the finest of recreational environments.

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Treat_our_Alberta_headwaters_like_the_treasures_they_are/

• Like 3

I filled out the survey from the government on this last fall. Now there are people that said they werenn't aware of the plan. Must have been too busy drinking beer and riding on their quads. I am afraid with the current cutback climate on the government side that a lot of the proposed changes and recommendations will be put in the "do later file". A lot more voters on the anti-change side.

• Like 1

I have submitted a lot of feedback on this plan, but the quad lobby managed to get a lot of input as well. I hope the province hits the off roaders hard (i even have a quad, just dont like using it for destructive purposes).

I hope plans like this can be established accross the province soon enough. A few examples to justify the need can be found in about 2 minutes on youtube.. The video below is an example, is mostly taped on the most sensitive bull trout spawning creek in central Alberta. We need the government to step in before these idiots destroy whats left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Rftp-fF_k

Wow that video is angering to watch.

And whats more, the creek is permanently closed to angling to protect the bull trout... Ive had enough of seeing it so have been on a bit of a crusade against this activity. Last fall, i watched quads run up that creek, later noticing they destroyed several redds that were visible the day before. Enforcement and strict rules are desperately needed province wide.

• Like 1

Hope you did more then just watch, and took note of their licence plates etc. It is a federal offence to harm or destroy fishery habitat. (Harps can probably go into this more then any of us on here)..

Couldnt get the info, they go by so fast and you cant even tell where they come from or where they stage from. Im fully aware its not legal, but the trail in also has about 10 stream crossings which are in such bad shape there's no way there should still be access. I hike the area lots and you can hardly even use the trail for that in sections its so torn up. The lack of cell service means there is no way to contact Fish and Wildlife before the groups move on and disapear. I know they try but there's a lot of creek and country to cover. Sorry if i hijacked this thread at all, just trying to remind other fisherman why we need to get input (preferably written letters) on land use planning and management.

I wouldn't know how to send the video through to the powers that be, but maybe someone in the know can!

And whats more, the creek is permanently closed to angling to protect the bull trout... Ive had enough of seeing it so have been on a bit of a crusade against this activity. Last fall, i watched quads run up that creek, later noticing they destroyed several redds that were visible the day before. Enforcement and strict rules are desperately needed province wide.

I wouldn't know how to send the video through to the powers that be, but maybe someone in the know can!

Im pretty sure 3 years old is simply too long ago to be meaningful. Fish and Wildlife is fully aware how bad it is in the area, i know they've been back there as i noticed a bit of signage appear since this video was uploaded. There are literally dozens of videos like this (or worse) on youtube though, this is not what id call an uncommon occurence.