Fly Fusion Forums

Weird Wifi Router Issues

So anyone able to help with this strange situation...

I hope I can explain it well enough...

Our computers keep randomly shutting down when connected to our wireless network (but not when hardwired). So thinking it was my (previous) router (tenant was also having issues and had to keep resetting the router - a Hawking), I bought a new router (Apple Airport Base Stn) in the fall, in hopes that it would solve the issue but the issue still persisted. So then thinking it was the computer, I had someone look at it (known logic board issue with this model - '06/07 Mac iBook) and there were no issues found- seemed to work fine for him...

So last week for some reason it wasn't shutting down, which was strange as it usually shuts down pretty regularly, so I checked the signal and noticed it was connected to some random wifi signal from the neighborhood (not sure how that happened)... As soon as I connected back to ours, it would randomly shut down, again (so back to the random neighborhood wifi and it doesn't shut down). Also noticed that the Apple router will blink to yellow (normal is green) randomly as well, so need to reset it when this happens.

So anyone have an idea what is happening and why? I was told it could be the Shaw modem?!

Any thoughts or advice?!

Thanks in advance.

P

That seems really odd. Typically regardless of the router the wifi network should not have the ability to restart your computer. I would still feel it is more the computer issue but given what you said I would be curious about the wifi too.

Is your mac up to date on all the software updates? Also you can try checking your router and making sure it is running the most recent software version.

I had a similar thing happen to me. My laptop kept dropping sessions, when hardwired worked perfectly. Thought it was the wireless router, bought a new one, did lots of diagnostics, no one coulf find any reasons. Changed to Telus, still had issues but not as frequent.. So just sucked it up hardwired permanently. Then time for a new laptop which company sayswas due to policy & works fine now. So we think the internal WiFi antenna was the problem

Yes it's all password protected and secured...

I'm not a geek either but did you reset the default username and password before you put it into service? Some one may be using your service bumping you off.

Do a full system update on your os and also maybe check for a new set of drivers for the wifi antenna. Jdungler had a good point is may be the wifi antenna itself causing system issues.

Both older macs, so I can only update so far (which also may be the issue - and indicative as to why the neighbors Linksys router works without issues). Going to be purchasing a new MacBook in the next couple of weeks...

Do a full system update on your os and also maybe check for a new set of drivers for the wifi antenna. Jdungler had a good point is may be the wifi antenna itself causing system issues.

Oh okay, that could be a possibility. Hmmm maybe worth waiting to see how the new mac runs.

I imagine you can get an old linksys router off Kijiji for next to nothing. Come to think of it I may have one at my place.

I will check tonight.

We have the same lap top and ours does the exact same thing. Even the connect to a neibhors router and it works fine. I think you would have to upgrade to a new OS something after 10.4 but even then who knows if that will help.

I will refer to this situation as the Uberfly technology curse.

Do you find lots of things electrical fail around you? Perhaps you are a moving Bermuda Triangle of technological doom.

Sean, Yeah that has to be it!! But still doesn't explain why the base stn needs to be reset (randomly blinks yellow, and not steady green)?!

Yeah that doesnt really make sence either, but i do figure we both have the same problem, every so often the wifi signal will go on and off sporadically for a while, restarting the computer never seems to help. But connecting to a another signal seems to work. I have just been dealing with it as i dont really want to pay to upgrade a computer that old. Mainly a PITA that forces me to use a different computer.

I suspect the router. The home router has been replaces once and the business ones twice. Same issues both times - blinking yellow. I lived with the home one for about year till it was landfill time.

The business ones were a much larger issue as the router was dropping data making backups tough when dealing with multiple machines. A few minutes of yellow blinking light got it turfed quick.

Regards,

Don

So anyone able to help with this strange situation...

I hope I can explain it well enough...

Our computers keep randomly shutting down when connected to our wireless network (but not when hardwired). So thinking it was my (previous) router (tenant was also having issues and had to keep resetting the router - a Hawking), I bought a new router (Apple Airport Base Stn) in the fall, in hopes that it would solve the issue but the issue still persisted. So then thinking it was the computer, I had someone look at it (known logic board issue with this model - '06/07 Mac iBook) and there were no issues found- seemed to work fine for him...

So last week for some reason it wasn't shutting down, which was strange as it usually shuts down pretty regularly, so I checked the signal and noticed it was connected to some random wifi signal from the neighborhood (not sure how that happened)... As soon as I connected back to ours, it would randomly shut down, again (so back to the random neighborhood wifi and it doesn't shut down). Also noticed that the Apple router will blink to yellow (normal is green) randomly as well, so need to reset it when this happens.

So anyone have an idea what is happening and why? I was told it could be the Shaw modem?!

Any thoughts or advice?!

Thanks in advance.

P

Peter, it is your computers way of telling you nicely to get off the computer and to go outside and take the dog for a walk.