Fly Fusion Forums

10 Ft Rods

I have an Amundson 10 ft 5 wt that I bought for a lake (chironomid) rod, like Monger said, to help casting very long leaders. I use it a lot on the Bow. Easier to mend, high stick, roll cast, etc. I don't find the extra length makes me more tired. If I know I will be mostly nymphing of fishing streamers, it is pretty much my go to rod on the bow.

Wow!! how many rods do you people have?? I'm guessing most of you aren't married? How many do you really need?

Can somebody send me a template I could use to set up a business case for the purchase of hundreds of dollars worth of flyrods? I will have to present this to my wife, the Chartered Accountant... :unsure:

Wow!! how many rods do you people have??

20 Rods, 10 Reels, thousands of flies, two boats, more tying gear than I can keep track of.... And one semi-annoyed wife, who is NOT an accountant. LOL

I have 2 10' Pieroway Rods. I quite like the subtle action of the tip. When you do the hook set, it doesn't seem to startle the fish as much. My $0.02.

Wow!! how many rods do you people have?? I'm guessing most of you aren't married? How many do you really need?

I don't golf but I think you would limit yourself with only one club, I look at my rods the same. The many fish species, the water they live and the flys tossed regulate that you need something besides a 5-6wt.

I have a 2wt for small streams but I would really consider the purchase of a 0-000 wt for the same water. All though a lot of time I carry my 4 on the front range. I target bulls a lot and all though a 6 is more then enough to land a large one a 8 will cast the heavy flies and tips more effieciently. I have a 9wt for salt water and heavier applications but this may I'm headed to africa and I think I would limit myself with the tarpoon if i didn't have a 12wt or a 14wt. I also have a few duplicates of some rods... some for clients and some in case I wreck one and don't want any down time. There is really no limit to how many you can have, just excuses.

My wife isn't an accountant but I save a little each month so I can do a big hit and buy 3-5 rods and reels each spring.

Pushing over 20 rods.

But back on track...I have 2 amundson wind warrior 10' 5wts, an amundson wind warrior 10' 6 wt and a sage z axis 10' 6wt. I like the longer rods as I find if you pick the right rod, you don't notice the extra weight. I find the Amundsons and the Sage both to be light in hand, responsive, and not tip heavy at all (The Amundson 5wt is better at this than the Amundson 6wt though)

Love them for lake fishing. Can't remember the last time I choose a 9' over them.

I also have a 10' dan craft 3wt that I use for high sticking on the Crow in winter. Love how it controls the drift so much better than the shorter rods.

Just as everyone has said, longer rods are awesome for casting longer leaders and great line control. They are awesome sticks for nymphing, streamers and dries on rivers. As well many european techniques are better accomplished with longer rods. Like Tungsten said, a lighter rod is ideal for those long days on the lakes and rivers.

Only two 9.6' in my line up at this point. By choice they would have been 10' but deals presented themselves. Love the longer sticks. Only time I myself prefer something shorter when tossing drys from the boat. Other than that I see nothing but benifits

Anybody a fan of shorter rods? I'd like to hear some pros on less than 9ft sticks. Lighter, better accuracy, easier transport/bushwacking, easier fish landing. I'm sure there is more.

One of the big reasons I fish a 10ft (other than those mentioned) is the hook setting ability. You can pick up a lot more line with that extra foot off the end. Some belly boaters go long for the extra hang time on the back cast.

Now, I'm going to out myself. I have two rods that I use regularly, and an 8wt. One or two junkers I keep around for guests or the kids. I get on the water more than most (though not a lot, these days), and do just fine

I am guilty of having a ludicrous amount of tying material. I also have another expensive hobby that has been consuming my resource$ lately, otherwise I'm sure I'd have a few more rods.

Anybody a fan of shorter rods? I'd like to hear some pros on less than 9ft sticks. Lighter, better accuracy, easier transport/bushwacking, easier fish landing. I'm sure there is more.

All of the above,i have a 8'6" 4wt, when i first got it i thought its too short but its now my fav for dry fly.Very accurate.

Nearly all the rods I use are 8' or less as most are cane and they get heavy beyond 8' long.

When I use a longer rod, it is 9'. Got one 10'er maybe 20 years ago for all the reasons mentioned above. Doesn't cast worth a crap. Maybe the rods are better now.

And Osbornes - you should try to keep the rods and reels under 50. Storage becomes an issue otherwise.

Don

And Osbornes - you should try to keep the rods and reels under 50. Storage becomes an issue otherwise.

Don

Thanks Don... I'll keep that in mind. I have to admit, I do spend a lot of time looking at new rods. Sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, huh? You bunch of brainwashers almost have me convinced to go out and buy a 10 footer... :yoda:

I've got the standard 9' 6wt that I pretty much use everywhere, but I find myself nymphing more and more, I'm considering a switch rod @ 10'6" - 11' for my winter fishing. Anyone comment on pros/cons of these rods versus a standard 10'er? (Not trying to hijack by any means)