Fly Fusion Forums

Bass Pro Soft Opening

And i'll beg to differ with you,

Lower end rod's are usually a slower action, which gives the user a much easier time using them if their timing isn't perfect, giving the illusion of it being a better rod, when it is usually hide's the caster's faults . A top end brand name rod, will normally be a fast to ultra-fast action rod which will work far better for someone who has a quick casting stroke, and their timing down with the use of double and single hauls (aka, usually a more experienced angler)... There are reason's the best casters in the world don't use hundred dollar rods....

The reason the best casters in the world dont use $100 rods is becasue they are all sponsored by the big companies to use there rods. I disagree %100 that lower end rods are slower action. There are as many cheap faster action rods out there as there are expensive slower action ones.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Bow Fly & Tackle is a new shop opening up.

I believe the owners are Mike Mailey and Dave Cunnings

I'll be doing a review soon.

Its off of dunbow road. Its basically on your way to policemans flats if you turn off of mcleod onto dunbow.

oh, shes got my attention. lol

back to the net thing, string diped in rubber and tied to some wood will never be work $130. It doesnt matter how it is made either because i miss step kills a $20 net just as fast as $130 and last i checked the less wood you have to weaker it is, this isnt metals.

rods are a different story and i have no place in that conversation.

Well if your that worried about breaking your net then what you need is the william Joseph Wave Net http://www.flyfishusa.com/nets/william-joseph-net.htm. Its carbon fiber, will still cost you over $100 though

Heh, this thread has really gone all over the place. Nets, rod actions, ex-wives, Oakleys, stuffed fish, South Bow, and April Vokey...

If a net isn't worth $130 to you, then don't buy it. Same goes for overpriced rods, reels, lines, Oakleys and whatever else. My expensive rods and reels don't make me a better caster and I'm sure there are people out there with less expensive gear that cast better than me. But for me, there's a perceived difference and I enjoy using my expensive stuff so at the end of the day that's all that matters to me. Plus my $100+ Fisknat net looks real nice when I take a picture of a fish in it.

So just to keep this post on topic, did anyone who went to Bass Pro notice if they had Water Master Grizzly or Kodiak inflatables there? They have them on their website and it's likely the only thing I'd buy there since nobody else in town carries them thatt I know of.

Well if your that worried about breaking your net then what you need is the william Joseph Wave Net http://www.flyfishusa.com/nets/william-joseph-net.htm. Its carbon fiber, will still cost you over $100 though

True, Wes. One of our fishing buddies has that net, but when William Joseph was doing their R&D perhaps they should have fished better waters. The net is super cool, but the fabric isn't deep enough and anything over 18" has an easy time of popping out. Sure is cool though

Ok, pardon my ignorance but who is the "REAL Jay Jones"? I don't know him...

Part of the reason I'm hoping they have Water Masters at Bass Pro is that I'd also like to see one up close and in person before I lay down my money. Otherwise I would've just ordered direct from Big Sky Inflatables.

back to the net thing, string diped in rubber and tied to some wood will never be work $130. It doesnt matter how it is made either because i miss step kills a $20 net just as fast as $130 and last i checked the less wood you have to weaker it is, this isnt metals.

Agreed, a wooden net wouldn't last a week in my boat, not worth it. My lucky net is a 30 dollar canadian tire metal handle. A winter a few years ago I was fishing a river down south when the wind blew it into the water and it sank out of site. How is that a lucky net you ask? Well, a few weeks later I see this young punk posting pictures on a forum with my net in the background. So I give him a phone call and sure enough apparently he was streamer fishing and got snagged and up comes my net. Thanks for returning it Maxwell :)

See lucky.

Ok, hijack off. Back to Bass Pro, I'm not much for soft openings and since April would want it this way I'm going to wait until it gets hard. :)

Yes they do they also have an exclusive olive mid arbour only available though bass pro shops.

How much were they asking for the mid-arbour reels? In late February I was on a course in Nashville and stopped in at the Bass Pro store there. They were right in the middle of a big sale and had those reels on special for 99.00 US. The regular price was 129.00. I thought long and hard before I walked away. As with all of the Orvis reels, I thought it was a real nice piece of equipment.

Murray

How much were they asking for the mid-arbour reels? In late February I was on a course in Nashville and stopped in at the Bass Pro store there. They were right in the middle of a big sale and had those reels on special for 99.00 US. The regular price was 129.00. I thought long and hard before I walked away. As with all of the Orvis reels, I thought it was a real nice piece of equipment.

Murray

I don't i have not been. But i will be getting me a 28 cup coffee perculator, love camping coffee.

Was there today with the wife and kids...and we all really enjoyed it...That beast of a rainbow was chasing some of the smaller guys around and then it just jumped half out of the water and it splashed my son! I could definately see a fish jumping out of that tank. Anyway, I don't think I've ever walked into a store and been in awe right out of the gate....We walked in and just stopped and looked up for a couple minutes before we even moved! Fly fishing area is a little sparse for sure, but I would imagine it will grow with increased demand! That shooting game is fun too!

I went today, the store was impressive, the fish tank awesome, the fly fishing area was terrible, and I thought the prices were really high for most items. I figured because it's a huge chain store the prices would be low due to the amount of stock they have to buy, I was wrong.

It's worth a visit, however unless they ungrade their fly fishing section, the local stores have nothing to worry about.

The store is unreal. Only had about 40 minutes to look around, just wasn't enough time to look at everything. Next time I'll make sure I have a few hours free. As far as the fly fishing section goes, I thought they had just as good of selection, if not better, of fly tying stuff as the stores in Calgary. The employee said they didn't have all of their stock up yet. I was in Calgary Wednesday looking at a truck and went through a few of the fly shops, bought some FT matierials and I thought the prices where competitive and some items were less and some items were more and trust me my wife is right on top of that stuff.

I didn't compare the prices of the reels, rods, and gear because I've never felt the need to own the most expensive stuff to go out and catch trout. They had a set of waders that was over $800! yeah they were nice, but I haven't spent half that much on all my waders over the years.

Definitely worth the trip, but make sure you have lots of time to enjoy the uniqueness of the decor.

I was there yesterday for an hour or so. Nothing much happening in the aquarium, too bad.

Fly fishing area:

I'm not so sure terrible is the right word. They had TFO, Sage, Loop, Loomis, Lamson, Tibor, Orvis, Ross etc. as well as their own line of rods and reels. I thought some of their own rods (White River?) looked and felt ok for the cost. They also had some very low/entry level gear of their own as well. Fly rods from $50 to $800 (High end sage), reels around the same. I'm not much of a reel guy, but they had a Tibor for like $850 that was one pretty piece of work, though I can never see myself buying something like that.

Fly selection left something to be desired, though some of the packs were ok I guess. Prices were definitely not low, but reasonable for most things. Flies were overpriced I thought. What they do bring is some pretty good prices on non-name clothing. Their line of fishing apparel seems much like the Magellan stuff I buy in the states. Built to directly compete with Columbia at around 1/2 the cost.

Everything was ok, basically just like every other Bass Pro. They will figure out what works here and sell that. I'll go about as often as I went to the one in Houston. Maybe once a year.

Can't beat a pair of breathable waders for $99 (the White River stuff)....also they had some Simms guide jackets (G4 I think...orange with grey) for $319, which I thought was cheap.

I forgot about the waders. I bought a very similar pair for my son like 3 yrs ago, with nary a leak yet. No lifetime warranty, but who the hell cares. They cost 100 bones, and they last.

Can't beat a pair of breathable waders for $99 (the White River stuff)....also they had some Simms guide jackets (G4 I think...orange with grey) for $319, which I thought was cheap.

They G4's are completely mispriced, they were on the same rack and same price as the Freestones..they haven't started off so well!

South Bow Fly & Tackle is a new shop opening up.

I believe the owners are Mike Mailey and Dave Cunnings

I'll be doing a review soon.

Its off of dunbow road. Its basically on your way to policemans flats if you turn off of mcleod onto dunbow.

Thanks. thats awsome that will be so handy for me!