Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fish Calgary Confessional

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I was young, I once fished for trout with Roe sacks and a fly rod (which was legal at the pond I was fishing) There was a C.O. fishing off duty with his Grand Children just down from me. I was nailen Nice sized trout and he was catching nothing. He asked me what I was using, and I said power bait (not wanting to share my secret) He must have then made a call, and within 20 min a C.O. showed up and came straight over to where I was fishing. He right away noticed I was using Roe sacks and said it was illegal, I argued, knowing it was legal, but that never helped. He then wrote me a ticket and took my gear...Knowing that it was legal to use roe, I talked to some higher authorities (took all afternoon on the phone) and got my gear back and my ticket was thrown out the next day...Sure wrecked my day of fishin and was pain in the ass tryin to talk to the right person to plea my case...I see and talk to The C.O several times a year, when Im out and about, but I dont think he remembers... :P

Cheers...Jeff..

When I was in middle school my friend and I used to play "baseball" with sunfish. My buddy was even crueler and would cut off one fin and throw 'em back just to watch them swim in a circle. Needless to say I've seen the light and feel much better about getting that off the chest!

Also, I watched all 8 seasons of "charmed" and am now engrossed in "dr. quinn medicine woman"....because the wife has it on:)

2) Was bragging about the hot day I had on one of the SE BC cutt streams a few years ago. I told the folks that I was using "hopper dropper" with more on the hopper. They reminded me that it's a one-fly province. Ooops.

My fishing partner has a saying "Bragging about catching fish on the Michel is like paying a hooker and then bragging you got laid"

When I was about 12 years old and started fly tying I may or may not have gotten the five finger discount from Jays Fly Shop in Cochrane on some elk hair due to not having enough allowance and a hard need for some elk hair caddis's. This is something I have always felt absolutely terrible about and the only time in my life I have ever really stolen something. And of course it was made all the worse by the tragic history of that shop. Im going to cry in the corner now and watch So You Think You Can Dance, which as another poster already said, is a bit of a secret pleasure. Wow, feels much better to say all that!

Gary said, My fishing partner has a saying "Bragging about catching fish on the Michel is like paying a hooker and then bragging you got laid"

That will go down as one of the site's top ten posts ever. Too funny. Thanks.

The irony of course is that some us don't like to pay the BC Whorehouse Madams $20 a day to play anymore. ;)

I was the youngest grandchild and growing up my grandparents lived only a few hundred yards away, so I was pretty spoiled. We had a pond and every summer my grandpa would put in 100 stocked rainbows and every winter they would winter kill. In desperation to catch fish, as young boys will often do, I resorted to a number of "techniques" to catch these said fish before winter beat me to it.

1. When I would catch one, I would immediately turn and run the other direction until I beached them, then run back and grab them before they slithered back into the water (I was having trouble landing them).

2. I had heard about people making their own flies so I made my own with my mom's sewing thread, a bait hook I found in my dad's tackle box, a pussy willow, and a feather I found on the ground. No glue, just a bunch of granny knots. And I actually caught a fish with it! But then it was wrecked.

3. We fed them fish pellets so in late fall, I would throw out a bunch of pellets and then toss out a piece of dog food with a hook in it. Worked like a charm.

4. In the winter my grandpa and I would snare them through the ice. Then we discovered that if we used fish pellets as bait, they would launch themselves up through the hole in the ice to get the floating pellets and land on the ice.... No more need for the snare!

5. Before ice-up, to get the last few fish out of the pond, my dad had heard that a shotgun shot in the water would stun them and they would float to the surface. So of course, we row out into the pond with the 12 gauge, and grandpa aims the gun into the water while sitting in the boat. He had to pull the trigger with his thumb because of the positioning of the gun. When he shot, the gun almost ripped his thumb off, he almost dropped the gun into the pond, and we both got absolutely soaked with the water spray from the gun. All of this would have been worth it if it had worked, but alas... no fish came to the surface. When my dad and grandpa started discussing the use of pop bottles filled with lime and there being an "explosion" my mom and grandma put an instant stop to the scheming for that year. The fish had won.

I first started fly fishing when I was going to school in Portland, OR. We used to hit up all the "named" rivers in the area, but to be honest i had no idea what i was doing. I finally thought i had caught a Steelhead and smacked it on the head as soon as i got it to shore (for Proof!), only to be told by my more knowledgeable fishing buddies that it was just a big Rainbow trout, and the trout season was closed. from that point on they named me "POACHER"....... lol

trout.jpg

oooooo, the shame!

I didn't want to say this one but when I was a kid, not staying with my grandparents but with my mom and dad, me and my brother use to stuff some old clothes togather to make a dummy then go to the freeway and throw the thing over the side into on coming traffic, use to think it was funnier then hell till we caused a pile up on the highway, thank god no one was killed.

When I was 6 a friend and I decided to have a little campfire in the back field. It was in Regina in a dry August so there was lots of dry grass to get it going. We kept is small and stompted it out after a couple a minutes then headed home. A hour or so later while having supper we heard the sirens. Seems the field mysteriously burst into flame burning several acres and threatened many homes including mine. I never told my parents until I was 27.

well my mom came home one day when I was prob 13, with an article explaining how some guy had taken an empty CO2 cartridge, and proceeded to fill it with strike anywhere matches, in the process it blew up in his hands, and thus loosing one or two fingers. After hearing this, I told my mom I would never be stupid enough to do that, that is blow off my fingers, I then proceeded to think that cutting off the match heads was not good enough, so I scraped off the ends of a box of match heads, filled a CO2 cartridge, packed it down and taped over the end. went outside, and threw it in the air. nothing, so I got my sling shot, and shot it at a large rock in the ground, it proceeded to go right by my( to this day I do not know how it did not hit me.) but it did fly over 100 yards, and hit the brand new garage door which my dad had put in the weekend before. as soon as he got home he saw the dent, and asked me. I said I dont know, and still to this day he does not know.