Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Rod

theiceman2

After reading the "what you learned this year" I seen alot of guys posting that they learned spey casting.

Here is what I know about spey fishing, you use two hands...thats it. Questions I would love to have answered.... If you post I will listen.

Can I use my large arbour 6wt reel that I currently have on my "normal" rod

What is the benifit of Spey vs normal fly fishing?

Can I do it on the Bow durring my walk and wade?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can use your 6wt reel but not the line...a #6 spey line is very different from a normal #6 line (heavier) and will not fit on most 6 wt reels. You could use your 6wt reel with a 3 or 4 wt spey line on a 3 to 4 wt spey rod probably. I have a 7 wt spey rod with a 7/8 spey line and use a 9-11 reel for it.

While spey casting you need less room behind you than with regular fly catsing. So that can come in handy in tight spots. Next to that it's easier to control large lengths of line with a longer rod on the water.

And yes you can do it on the bow for sure. Never been there but you can do it on most rivers and streams...A small spring creek however may not be the ideal spot for spey fishing...

you can spey cast single hand or double hand rods...traditionally i think it was double handers

single spey is basically a roll cast and a double spey is a roll cast with a line re-position prior to the roll cast

check out this video of a single handed double spey

benefit-you can fish areas/conditions where a back cast isn't possible...another good benefit is no false casts

What it does for me is allow me long distance casting with no back cast, double handed I find is easier on my body than double hauling. It's a good way to throw heavy rigs like large streamers and nymph rigs. There seems to be a misconception about the Spey casting and have seen posts that the rods are too heavy for the Bow. The rods I use are 5 and 6 wt and allow a good battle with a small trout. This is not to say I only use double handed rods all the time but on big rivers it's great. Keep your eye open for the next Spey gathering Toolman has and come and take a look.

Speycasting is the way to go, you can Speycasting single- handed rods or double -handed rods.

Head to the next Spey thing on the Bow Toolman does, there you will meet lots of great guys into Speycasting on the Bow, i am sure they are more than willing to help you out.... but remember when you start.... THERE IS NO STOPPING , most of the guys have had a lesson from one hell of nice guy................ will wait to see what is said about that part. :laugh:

Gordo.

fyi, albright tackle has a 70% off until the end of the month on their 14' 9/10 GP two-hander rod. it ends up being $90 or so. call the number and talk to burke white. he's a super nice guy that can give you the info. feel free to pm me about my delivery experience. it's a good price if you're just playing around with double-handers and want an entry rod.

and here i sat 5 mins ago thinking i don't need any more gear...

are the two hander GP series a decent rod?

Although these great rods don’t come with our standard warranty, we will replace any broken GP fly rod with a “like” rod for a nominal fee.

wonder what the nominal fee is..guess i could give 'em a shout

and i just noticed the GPR 9/10s reel for 35 bux!!

Its really funny you said that you need no more gear...I was thinking the same thing last week. So I thought I have to be missing something, and I think I found it Spey rod, reel, line, books, videos, bigger streamers.....ppppssss don't tell my wife.....

On a side note I did find a guy selling a pile of really nice gear on Craigs list...

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/spo/893664450.html

Its really funny you said that you need no more gear...I was thinking the same thing last week. So I thought I have to be missing something, and I think I found it Spey rod, reel, line, books, videos, bigger streamers.....ppppssss don't tell my wife.....

On a side note I did find a guy selling a pile of really nice gear on Craigs list...

http://calgary.en.craigslist.ca/spo/893664450.html

you mean these reels?

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=6637

I haven't overhead cast my single-handed rods in a couple of months now - all single-handed spey casting for me. I can pick up a three nymph rig with an indicator and get it where I want with hardly ever a tangle. (Now that I've said that I'm going to end up tangling my line every other cast on Saturday.) I don't think it's necessarily better than overhead casting a single-hand rod, it's just way easier on my wrist which is showing signs of carpal tunnel.

Unfortunately you guys just missed one of Gordon's sessions, and yes he is one hell of a nice guy even though he uses pink golf clubs. I think Brian Niska also said that if the weather is nice enough when he's out here for the fly fishing expo that he might put on a clinic. If you can get a lesson from either Gord or Brian it'll be worth your while.

Oh, and that other single-hand spey video was posted by me once before when I was learning and I was promptly informed it was crap. Check this one out instead...

Speycasting is the way to go, you can Speycasting single- handed rods or double -handed rods.

Head to the next Spey thing on the Bow Toolman does, there you will meet lots of great guys into Speycasting on the Bow, i am sure they are more than willing to help you out.... but remember when you start.... THERE IS NO STOPPING , most of the guys have had a lesson from one hell of nice guy................ will wait to see what is said about that part. :laugh:

Gordo.

Lessons we don't do no darn lessons.

speyschool.jpg

I haven't overhead cast my single-handed rods in a couple of months now - all single-handed spey casting for me. I can pick up a three nymph rig with an indicator and get it where I want with hardly ever a tangle. (Now that I've said that I'm going to end up tangling my line every other cast on Saturday.) I don't think it's necessarily better than overhead casting a single-hand rod, it's just way easier on my wrist which is showing signs of carpal tunnel.

Unfortunately you guys just missed one of Gordon's sessions, and yes he is one hell of a nice guy even though he uses pink golf clubs. I think Brian Niska also said that if the weather is nice enough when he's out here for the fly fishing expo that he might put on a clinic. If you can get a lesson from either Gord or Brian it'll be worth your while.

Oh, and that other single-hand spey video was posted by me once before when I was learning and I was promptly informed it was crap. Check this one out instead...

a bit of a sales pitch....

just noticed that West Jet has a seat sale on for the next week or so. $99 each way from Calgary to Vancouver(select days) so here is an idea. Fly out west and get some one on one spey help on a river that is full of chrome bright Chum and Coho Salmon. Fishing should remain as is for the next two weeks and with the Thompson closed I have some time on my hands.

You don't have to sell me on anything, there is no place I would rather be!

I may be looking into this next year, kinda layed up this season after sugery, do you offer discounts to board members? WHat is peak season? and how much notice do you need for booking?

always happy to hook up something special for Flyfish Calgary board members.

Really good fishing for fresh Chums on the Squamish can last until near the end of November. Last year the fish were late and we had fresh fish in the second week of December but that was not normal. Coho run right through December though the peak of Coho fishing is ussually around the middle of November. This year fishing has been spotty up until a few days ago as the river was very low. Now that we finally have rain there are lots of fresh fish moving in. So typically the best fishing will coincide with late October/early November rain.

My personal teaching schedule varies depending on how much time I am spending on the Thompson, which leaves me pretty open for Salmon fishing this year.

One other point....as we are all aware rain is a good thing when it comes to bringing fish into the river however lots of rain + early snow + high freezing level = high muddy river for a few days. So .....regardles of whether you are fishing on your own or taking a school/guided tripit is always best to give us a call ahead of time to find out river conditions.

Brian Niska

love spey/underhand casting with one or two handed rods.. its wha ti do almsot everywere with teh exception of sneaking up on spooky torut eating dries... its deadly on teh bow but same iwth smaller streams with tight cover aswell.. there are a few clinics with great instructors (whistler,frankbfly and speyghillie) that should be back nexy year soo check em out with u are interested... the video headscan posted with steph is nutty.. bin **** chatting with him online and teh dude is a wizard!

The correct rod length and weight is mainly determined by where you're planning on fishing and for what, along with a certain amount of personal preference just like with a single-handed rod. The best thing to do is try a few different rod and line combinations to figure out what you prefer.

I'm kinda curious about the whole spey game, how do you figure out the proper line for the fishing one would be doing? Also, what is the best way to decide on a length and weight of rod?

couple of casts is all it took hey jk? Those loop sticks are a sick deal... Thinking about tossing big streamers for pike?