Spey Rod

theiceman2

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

spey lines are bascially broken down into 2 sections but 4 parts.. too me i see it as

traditional:

long lines- they are just that long lines with long heads usually a 120 foot line with a 60-80 foot head

midbellies- these are "shorter long lines" or mid lengthed lines. usually 45-55 feet

u can shoot the ehads on long or mid belly lines too u must get the longer head out first and dont expect too be shooting much if any line( im not a huge fan or the traditional stuff, too much work)

new school:

scandinavian shooting heads(scandi lines/weight forward heads)- these are shooting heads... usually 36-45 feet.

skagit lines- these are much shorter lines usually 30-36feet, they are thicker and have no taper or very little compared too a scandi lines

i would do a bunch of reading before i would by anything. i went and casted a dozen or more rods and halfdozen lines including all 4 types of lines before i went and bought most stuff(except a huge yellow stick i have on teh shelf for 4 ish years and another salmon stick at a great deal cuz i dotn think.. i will use em someday)

if anyone wants too toss some scandi or skagit lines i do have a 14ft 9wt 12 foot 6 8wt 12foot 6wt and a switch rod.... fishtales also demo's stuff... they should have soem lines(probably one or two of each style) and some spey rods too.....

as for reels i would say big and cheap... u dont halfto spend much.. pfleuger, reddington, tioga, dan bailey, scierra, loop and a whole bunch of otehr makers have 10+wt reels for a decent price in and around that 100 doller range... u can fish a smaller reel but the only issue is backing.. if your trout or pike fishing u wont see much backing so u wont need more than 50 yards.. hell 25 yards.. but if u dont want too get spooled (very unlikely but ive had it happen and teh fishgods like too mess with ya once and a while)its best too get a larger reel so u can put 100-300 yards of backing.. if your fishing salmon n steelhead i would say get a reel with 200 yards of backing easy jsut too be super safe....

Lots of good info. Max, thanks for posting... With the mid bellys and some of the longer belly lines, I have found that it is possible to easily shoot two or three rod lengths of running line if the rod and line are dialed in properly...

EDIT:(This does not apply to any of Speyghillies experimental long lines...The +100'ers he plays with on his 11150 Bruce & Walker Norway... I'm lucky if I can shoot the head out of the tip with those long lines...lol...crazy Highlanders...)