Fly Fusion Forums

Official Oilers 2008/2048 Season Thread

Well the Oilers have thier new Coach(es). Pat Quinn was hired on as Head Coach and Tom Renney as the Associate Coach. Kelly Buchberger stays on as Assistant Coach as well.

Sounds like Tom and Pat both have three year contracts with a verbal agreement that Renney would step in as Head Coach at the end of the contract if Quinn decides to retire.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=279979

Not 100% sure how I feel about this just yet. Both are proven coaches, successful with thier former teams and both have a history of coaching the kids. Sounds good on paper, but I'll wait until the season starts before I make a decision on it.

Interesting move. I really didn't think Pat Quinn had it in him anymore.. I had read that he stated a few times something along the lines of "i'm too old for all the travel that comes with coaching an NHL team".

As for Renney.. well, how much do you guys wanna bet that Jaromir Jagr is an Oiler next season? I just hope they don't pay him too much..

Change is good I say. Consider yourselves lucky, if Lowe was still GM he would have probably chosen Kelly Buchberger as head coach!

Jagr and Renny worked closey together and if they grab him it better be for cheap. He's still a point a game guy. Perhaps toss him on the second line, boot that useless horcoff on the third and get a real scoring centre for the first...then there's the goalie situation too...

As for Renney.. well, how much do you guys wanna bet that Jaromir Jagr is an Oiler next season? I just hope they don't pay him too much..

Jagr and Renny worked closey together and if they grab him it better be for cheap. He's still a point a game guy. Perhaps toss him on the second line, boot that useless horcoff on the third and get a real scoring centre for the first...then there's the goalie situation too...

Ditto.

I am very nervous of this whole love affair with Jagr; we simply can't afford to pull what I call a "Canucklehead"; that's where you pay someone like Mats Sundin a breathtakingly stupid sum like $9M per year.

Jagr - at this point in his career - is not worth more than $3.5M to $4M. He's 36, last time he won the Art Ross was eight years ago, Stanley cup, like 16 years ago. I absolutely hate it when teams overpay guys in the twilight of their careers because of past performance. Its just as risky as paying a guy like Penner for potential future performance. Jagr didn't even produce a point per game in a 2nd rate league.

BTW, its not like Jagr will make Hemsky better; they're both right wingers.

Frankly, I'd like to see the Oilers get a pure goal scorer at this point; like a Franzen/Kovalchuk type. Or at least a talented big centre like Lecavalier/Thorton.

BTW guys, don't dump on Horcoff just because (1) the coach made a choice played him on the 1st line, (2) we don't have another centre who can replace him right now. And don't thing Gagner was the guy, cause he wasn't. Horcoff was the best centre we've had the past 2 years, its not his fault that the general manager and the coach can't do better. Horcoff would be an excellent 2nd line centre on most teams, he's definitely more talented than your average third line centre, IMHO.

Anyways, I like the coaching move; somewhat risky in the sense your risking "too many chiefs" syndrome, but they have good resumes, and I think they can get some decent results.

Smitty

I like this move, but I'm with FNG, I'm gonna wait for the on-ice product before I get too excited.

Smitty, did you catch any of Jagr in the recent world championship? The guy can still play at a very high level, he would lead the Oilers in scoring next year (assuming they can't bring in anyone better). He was only a couple points behind the Art Ross 3 seasons ago playing for Renney on a pretty weak Rangers team. I'd be all for the Oilers bringing him in for 1 or 2 seasons, if they could do it for $4-6 mil. That would be a better move than bringing in Lecavalier and his contract or a playoff choker like Thornton. Having one of the greatest players of the last couple decades to mentor the kids can't hurt.

As for Horcoff, he's definitely a great 2nd line center, but his contract is a joke. Thank god Lowe does not run the show any more!

• 2 weeks later...
what has quinn won as a coach except the under 18 world title? not the right choice for the oilers imdao he's an old school guy in a new school league.

And that is exactly why Renney was also hired as the Associate Coach. To make up for what Quinn lacks.

And that is exactly why Renney was also hired as the Associate Coach. To make up for what Quinn lacks.

uuummm his trophy case isn't exactly oveflowing either......actully less success at the pro level than quinn.....

uuummm his trophy case isn't exactly oveflowing either......actully less success at the pro level than quinn.....

Fair, but I'll still stick to my "wait and see" before I make the call on this one. Sounds good on paper, but let's see how the team responds before I start planning the Parade Route.

what has quinn won as a coach except the under 18 world title? not the right choice for the oilers imdao he's an old school guy in a new school league.

Here we go again, everyone calling for a new coach and then dumping on the choice that was made. It was a good move with 2 big names coming in, so hold your comments and just wait to see what playes out this season.

I'm a Flames fan... so first of I clearly know hockey better then any of you oiler's fans :lol: so in my Calgary Flames opinion Quinn is a great grab for Deadmonton, he has led many teams to the middle of the NHL pack, and that's a real boost for the Oilers.

City of Champions.... more like city of memories.........

sorry I couldn't help myself <--poke--<

I'm a Flames fan... so first of I clearly know hockey better then any of you oiler's fans :lol: so in my Calgary Flames opinion Quinn is a great grab for Deadmonton, he has led many teams to the middle of the NHL pack, and that's a real boost for the Oilers.

City of Champions.... more like city of memories.........

sorry I couldn't help myself <--poke--<

Always makes me laugh when Flames fans call out Edmonton for living in the past. I've never been to a City that lives more in the past than Calgary does. They still have the sign for the '89 Olympics up for cryin out loud.

Not to mention, three coaches in three years.......kinda makes you wonder if its the coaches leading them to first round exits, or if the players are just living up to thier mediocrity.

He's won 2 Jack Adams (coach of the year) and has been a finalist once.

He led the joke franchise that is the Canucks to one of their two Stanley Cup Final appearances.

He coached the Maple Leafs to the Eastern Conference final.

He's 4th on the all-time wins list for head coaches.

He's had 11 first-round wins in 16 seasons. A little trivia for Lames fans here: how many times have the Flames advanced past the first round since 1989? ONCE. City of memories? How many times have the Flames made it to the SCF post-lockout? Zero. And the Oilers? Once. That's right.

And then there's Renney, who has won a Memorial Cup, Olympic Silver, 3 World Championship Gold, and a Jack Adams finalist.

The Katz era has begun, and slowly but surely the Oilers are becoming a respectable franchise again.

Always makes me laugh when Flames fans call out Edmonton for living in the past. I've never been to a City that lives more in the past than Calgary does. They still have the sign for the '89 Olympics up for cryin out loud.

Not to mention, three coaches in three years.......kinda makes you wonder if its the coaches leading them to first round exits, or if the players are just living up to thier mediocrity.

That was the 1988 Olympics by the way. You forgot to mention their ONE Stanley Cup in 1986.

That was the 1988 Olympics by the way. You forgot to mention their ONE Stanley Cup in 1986.

1989. Montreal won in '86. I believe that was the year that Calgary got to the finals because Steve Smith put it in our own net..

1989. Montreal won in '86. I believe that was the year that Calgary got to the finals because Steve Smith put it in our own net..

I believe you are right.

MMAX was right also. It was 88 Olympics. I had it confused with the cup win they keep talking about....

as a flames fan i don't really care who coaches the oilers (could still be mact for all i care) just thought they'd be more fwd thinking than hiring a coach who's never won a cup and has had zero success in the new nhl (why make the the same mistake the flames made hiring keenan but at least he won the cup as a coach). coach of the year means nuttin'. there's got to be guys like bylsma out there who would being something new to the table instead of the same old same old.

fwiw, i think renney would be a better choice as a head coach than quinn....but time will tell.....

Quinn might be good for Edmonton but we had Keenan which has alot of great acolites, but in the NEW mistake free NHL he just couldn't hold his own.

You talk about calgary not having a cup in a long time, well when was the last time Quinn or Edmonton won a cup?

Heck he did alright for toronoto but still could not get a Stanley Cup (really at the end of the day all those aculites really mean *hit unless you are winning Stanley Cups), even when they threw all that money into the team to try and buy a good team, what did he do, and if he was so good of a coach why isn't he still there?

Not to sure on this but when was the last time Quinn made a appearence as a coach in the Stanely Cup finals?

Alot of these coaches that have been around were great in the old cap free and could get away with not playin a mistake free hockey, but in the new NHL this just can not happen, ask Keenan where he got.

Only time can tell if Quinn will do good for edmonton or not, better then what they had. But alot of these OLD greats that are getting recycled with other teams are just not getting it done, its like they are trying to organzize a team like the days of old but it just does not work in the new NHL.

I personally am a die hard Flames fan, but I always hope that the other canadain teams are all in the playoffs cause we are Hockey afterall.

I hate to say this but Horcoff's not going anywhere, at least not this season. No team is going to pick up his 7 million dollar contract (way to go Mr. Lowe). At the end of the season when he gets his usual 20 goals then he can go. He'll need at least 80 points to justify that kind of money and I don't think he has it in him. By the way, who give a crap how many Cups a coach has won? Look at how many Mac T won and where it got his team.

• 3 weeks later...
Alright.. I gotta say, I'm really getting sick of this "no stars want to play in Edmonton" business!!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283382

I really hope it's the fact that he's trying to stick the 4 mil to Ottawa.. but I doubt it.

I'm with you Birchy. I'm getting pretty tired of it too.

I mean, a guy lilke Ohlund, goes from a winning team in Vancouver to Tampa Bay??? They were second to last in the NHL last year. Edmonton is a significantly better team, but Ohlund goes there for what? The money? Edmonton could have offered him more, but we don't need another offensive defenceman, so why Tampa? The weather? It sure as hell isn't for the team. Or to get a chance to win.