Fly Fusion Forums

Official Oilers 2008/2048 Season Thread

I figured if there was a Flames thread, I could make an Oilers one. Seems to be enough Oil fans on here to pull it off :P

Had to wait almost a week longer to get the season started, but worth the wait! An ugly win, but a win none the less. Garon really proved why he's the #1 in Edmonton, backstopping a team that had trouble putting shots on goal in the preseason which seems to have carried forward into the regular season. Badly out shot, and often out played, the Oil managed to pull out a win on opening night in their own barn. Penner's big body in front like that is going to cause a lot of havoc for the rest of the 'tenders in the league!

GO OIL!

:wave_smile:

Here's to at least 20 more of those Hemmer to Horcoff goals this season :cheers:

Those new 3rd jerseys are beautiful, I'm gonna get me a Gagner

Agreed, those "retro" jerseys should have never left in the first place. THAT'S what an Oiler should look like! Not the most sylish win, but happy that they won !!

Ayr.

That was a better win last night, they were dominated for the first half of the game but in the 3rd period they showed how good they will be when everyone is gelling. I love watching the 'kid line', the chemistry and speed they have is unreal. If this team can win in regulation by showing up for half a game I can't wait to see how they dominate when they play the full 60 minutes. Friday's game should be great if they keep that momentum up.

I honestly think they would be better off dumping Roli and his salary and sticking with Deslaurier. Frees up a roster spot for someone like Brule, or even Schremp to join the team.

So far as last nights game goes, over all, it was a MUCH better effort to be sure. Garon is definitely the man in Edmonton and has been spectacular to date. However, if they don't get this face-off situation under control, they are going to be in BIG trouble.

Yeah I'm sure they'd like to dump Roloson, but I don't think any team would take on his contract at this point. Luckily he's only got one year left.

I don't know why they don't try putting him on waivers and see if someone will at least pick up half his contract?

I don't know why they don't try putting him on waivers and see if someone will at least pick up half his contract?

I think in order to have someone pick up only half of his contract, he would have to clear waivers, get assigned to Springfield (even if only on paper) and then called back up. Whoever picks him up on re-entry waivers would then be obligated to only half of his contract.

Ok, by FAR the best effort the guys have put on the ice so far this season. I know it's only three games old, but the first two games they were badly outshot and out played and the goaltending saved thier collective asses.

But tonight, tonight was a different story, a MUCH different story. They took the play to the fLAMES, out shooting and out chancing them at every turn. And the biggest stat of all.....they out performed them on faceoffs.....by winning 56% to thier 44%.

Awesome game, awesome effort.

Bertuzzi's goal was fricken SWEET though......

Guest RedWiggler

I was at the game and I will have to say that the refs had alot to do with the win, 3 PP goals of the 4 and all of the calls were bogus there wasnt even contact made on 2 of them. Anyways I am an Oilers fan as well they are my 2 fav's and I just think if the reffing isnt as bad as it was Edmonton loses the game. At this point in the season I think the Oilers are looking better than the Flames, hopefully the boys can get there stuff together sooner than later.:peesout: Bert looks good so far, Kipper makes me nervous :( How come Garon didn't play?

Awesome to see the Oil at 3-0 early in the season! Calgary's PK was awful, or else the Oiler's PP was great. They must be first in the league on the PP now, which is something I would have not expected at all. Let's hope this continues, but I'm sure the Flamers will be a little angrier for Saturday's game.

Go Oilers go!

Nice start to the season, so far for the Oil !

A few observations;

Strudwick--he has been a stable presence back there, so far so good.

Hemsky--played his best game last night, making better decisions with the puck, high in the offensive zone. He isn't even warmed up yet.

Nilson--Tazmanian Devil, last night, in a good way, loved his game!

Gags--The points will come in bunches, if he continues to play like he did last night, dangled all night, leads the team in shots, a plus player at the moment--keep it goin'!

Souray--Pleeeeze stay healthy !

Bertuzzi--has begun the season looking more like the Bert of 4 years ago. Very positive for flames fans, a bit scary for the rest of us.

Iginla--possibly the best all-around player in the game, just love this guy as a player, although he'd look a teensy bit better in blue and orange ; )),

It could be the best battle of Alberta in years, enjoy hockey fans !!

Ayr.

P.s. I think DD got the start last night because the Oilers want to see/get comfortable with him. If/when they are confident in his ability to back up Garon, look for Roloson to be waived for the possibilty of saving 1.5 million if he is claimed on re-entry, or in a perfect world someone claimes him staight away on waivers, if they can't find a suitable trade first. I'd like to see DD in another couple of games first, I'm guessing the Oilers would too, before making a decision.

:hanson::hanson::hanson:

MacTavish said he started JDD because he thinks it's good for a young goalie to get thrown into a road game right away. I guess it makes sense to play him early, it's better than letting him get stale in the press box/bench. That win should be great for his confidence.

The Oilers powerplay is going to be so good this year, with Souray and Visnovsky at the point it's 'pick your poison' as Cammalleri said after the game. I didn't know Lubo had such a bullet of a shot until that Anaheim game.

The kid line is unbelievable, with their chemistry it's like having 3 Sedin's. It's crazy that 2 of them are sophomores and they are just going to keep getting better. They will be scary good in a couple years.

Teams like the flames are going to have a tough time handling the speed and creativity of the Oilers, they'll end up with penalty trouble in every BoA this year.

Too bad nobody repeated Vandermeer's stupid mistake of picking a fight with Macintyre!

Guest RedWiggler

We should definitely be playing our backup more, Kipper sucks and exactly like you said, you have to get these backups in some situations, thats a great play by MacT to put him in. Curtis will be lucky if he sees action inside the first 20 games, personally If im Keenan I play him in the next game........until he loses. I cant believe how bad Kipper has been these last 2 years.

I hope that you're right, I really do. I am super stoked for this season. Did you hear Eric Cole's interview on After Hours on Saturday? He said that he has the same feeling that he had during the early season in 05/06 when they won the cup. Stillman said to him that he had a feeling, the perfect mix of vets and youth and big things could come. Cole basically said that he has that same feeling.

I hope he's right.

But I also know it's early in the season and that predicting a cup, or a trip to the finals, is just a tad pre-mature. But a man can dream, can't he?

GO OIL!

I didn't get much of a chance to see the game last night as I was working, and then drinking after work.

But, from what I saw, they were skating pretty good and putting up a fight. Budaj seems to have found his game, finally, and the Avs are skating great.

Garon was mortal last night, so that may have been the biggest issue. Oil outshot the Avs (first time outshooting an opponent this year) by one, but ended up taking the loss. The other goalie was better.

Only two games though. Looking forward to the game vs. the Cansucks on Saturday though.