Fly Fusion Forums

Official Oilers 2008/2048 Season Thread

Well, good for Horcoff for stepping up, and Lubo for keeping up his steady play.

Watching Deslauriers handle the puck though is causing ulcers. He needs a talking to from the goalie coach.

But still, someone like Gagner and Cogliano (and Nilsson too if he can earn a keeper spot in the lineup) have to support Penner and Horcoff in the offence.

Smitty

Top Three aint gonna help us much. But ya gotta love when the oilers are winning. Its exciting hockey.

Gotta disagree with ya there, Scorpion. With the CBA the way it is, very little trading is going on. Plus, with our woes in signing free agents, we should look to have a strong draft position. And I do think if you look at the top 3 players from the last 10 years, its possible they could help alot. This year's draft is supposed to be good, so I would guess at this point a top 3 pick would look very enticing.

Don't get me wrong however; if the Oilers can turn the season around and finish strong enough for a playoff spot, then great.

But I'm sick of this finishing 9th or 10th and getting the 9th or 10th pick. If we're going to sh** the bed, lets do it right! :)

Smitty

Gotta disagree with ya there, Scorpion. With the CBA the way it is, very little trading is going on. Plus, with our woes in signing free agents, we should look to have a strong draft position. And I do think if you look at the top 3 players from the last 10 years, its possible they could help alot. This year's draft is supposed to be good, so I would guess at this point a top 3 pick would look very enticing.

Don't get me wrong however; if the Oilers can turn the season around and finish strong enough for a playoff spot, then great.

But I'm sick of this finishing 9th or 10th and getting the 9th or 10th pick. If we're going to sh** the bed, lets do it right! :)

Smitty

I agree with most of what you say, but I beleive the problems with the oilers run deeper than that. A rookie that can make a huge impact will help us down the road yes, but look how long it took for teams like chicago and pittsburg took to mature and rebuild. If we can make it to the playoffs with good free agent signings more players will want to play for the oil. I think the oilers organization should choose whether they want to tank for 6-8 years and hope to build off that, or build from within and free agents. I would rather see the latter as it makes for them winning at least half the games thus more exciting hockey. But we both agree that something needs to be done.

Cheers,

Scorpiondeathlock

If we can make it to the playoffs with good free agent signings more players will want to play for the oil. I think the oilers organization should choose whether they want to tank for 6-8 years and hope to build off that, or build from within and free agents. I would rather see the latter as it makes for them winning at least half the games thus more exciting hockey. But we both agree that something needs to be done.

Cheers,

Scorpiondeathlock

Well that makes perfect sense, its just that with our recent history of trying to sign Hossa, Vanek, Jagr, Heatley, its a big IF.

I don't mind a quicker turnaround if it can be done. I just lack faith in the whole free agent signing thing... :)

On a completely different note; WHAT. THE. HELL.??? 5-0 on the road? Makes me want to drink. In celebration or total mystification. Honestly, what kind of Vegas odds could I have gotten with Hemsky hurt and betting the Oil would get 10 out 10 points on the road trip before the first game? I'd be a rich man....

Smitty

• 4 weeks later...
Kind of quiet here these days. Must be the holidays.

No, we Oilers fans are still here. We're quiet, because it doesn't look like anything good is going to happen (Oilerswise) until the draft. :lol: :lol: Terry

PS The Oilers do know how to throw a New Year's party though. However, they have this problem, both off and on the ice, that they don't want to "pay the price."

PS The Oilers do know how to throw a New Year's party though. However, they have this problem, both off and on the ice, that they don't want to "pay the price."

It's kind of interesting to now see the owner of O's getting a bite in the ass for taking it public.......All of a sudden maybe O's is part of the problem???---no kidding......Taking his problem to the media was a BS move in the first place and the fact that O's is now under investigation for serving the clowns too much booze is just desserts.........

Question:

What will be the difference between the Oilers and Flames tee off times?

Answer:

About 10 days.

Well, as I've said, there are three basic ways to improve your team:

1) trading

2) free agents

3) drafting

The CBA really has put a damper on trading, the Oilers have a dismal record in terms of landing free agents, so nowadays, the draft is hugely important.

Frankly, I am sick and tired of watching the Oilers scratch and claw their way to 10th to 8th. I'm very glad in year that we suck, we suck so bad, that we could get a top 3 draft pick. I'm hoping the Oilers don't turn this season around. I am hoping Carolina catches them. I'm hoping Khabi and Hemsky are out until next season. I'm hoping that the trading deadline will allow us to unload some veterans who are past their prime and not performing.

As long as Chicago and San Jose have the teams they do, (and to a certain extent, Calgary, if they ever stop underachieving), the Oilers need a big time player (more than that of course, but a top talent like Tavares or Stamkos is a good start). And probability and the current NHL environment says the likeliest way to do that is through the draft. Nearly all Stanley Cup winning teams that have a superstar that was drafted, rather than trade or sign for them. (And if they were traded for, usually it was for a future or former #1 pick).

Teams like the Red Wings have put a lot of time, money, energy, and resources into scouting, and unless the environment and CBA changes, drafting will just get more and more important.

Here's hoping the Oilers suck well into April and that the draft this year is talented and deep.

Smitty

...............Here's hoping the Oilers suck well into April and that the draft this year is talented and deep.

Smitty

Well, I'm pretty sure you're going to get the first part of your wish, and the second part is shaping of pretty nicely too. BTW, I agree with everything else you said too. Terry

...........Also looks like if they keep this up the first pick will be a lock

We're all hoping. How many more times does Carolina play Toronna? Only three more points by Carolina, and we've got 30th place locked up. Then bring on the draft. :lol: Terry

Oh good Gawd, I think I'm embracing the dark side. I disdain conspiracy theories in general, but after last night's phantom call against Grebeshkov in OT, on a non-existent penalty, I think I might start listening to Hawstoppah and theory of every ref against the Flames.

Perhaps its every ref against and Albertan teams? Canadian teams?

Brutal call. And even worse; the Oilers looked liked they actually belonged in the NHL for most parts of the game! Tough to lose that way.

Smitty

Does anyone know how to cancel a bid on EBay?

My Girlfriends a collector of vintage Disney stuff, so when I saw an item listed as "Mickey Mouse Outfit", wanting to surprise her, I naturally put a bid on it.

Unfortunately, I'm now about six minutes away from owning the Oilers!

Does anyone know how to cancel a bid on EBay?

My Girlfriends a collector of vintage Disney stuff, so when I saw an item listed as "Mickey Mouse Outfit", wanting to surprise her, I naturally put a bid on it.

Unfortunately, I'm now about six minutes away from owning the Oilers!

And you are one of the moderators? Funny!

BTW, this is how I will be starting any posts that are directed toward you in the future, BBT: "And you are one of the moderators?"