Fly Fusion Forums

Official Oilers 2008/2048 Season Thread

The Oilers squeeked out a win in LA. Great first period, not a dominant win by any means, but a win! They probably could have won it in regulation, if MacT hadn't lost the room a while back <--poke--< .

Ayr.

Actually, they should have had it won in regulation if MacT's "system" wasn't one to try and sit back on a lead, give up two shots for every one of thier own and try to give the game away.

<--poke--<

I know AYR says I'm not qualified to talk about the Oilers but last night was almost predictable........We have a 39 year old goalie who is the only one who's performing..........But it CAN'T be the coaching..........No, certainly not.......Hey we only have one first line guy (AYR's comment) so it can't be the coaching.............Jeeeeeeeez!!

Guest RedWiggler

Craig Mactavish is not the reason the Oilers suck. They have a bunch of young over paid athletes that have no discipline or will to win excluding Horcroff. The only player that shows up every night and plays with his heart is Steve Staios. The Oilers have tons of skill but are just a bad team with or without MacT.

Craig Mactavish is not the reason the Oilers suck. They have a bunch of young over paid athletes that have no discipline or will to win excluding Horcroff. The only player that shows up every night and plays with his heart is Steve Staios. The Oilers have tons of skill but are just a bad team with or without MacT.

Partially true in my opinion......Oilers have no leader on the ice.....Lowe made the fatal mistake of not resigning but trading Ryan Smythe.......he was the true leader of that team and they have not been able to replace him. MacT can only work with what he has and with no leader with heart on ice no coach will succed.

I agree, but only to a point. Gaining, or building discipline would be part of the coaches job woulnd't it? You take a dumb penalty where you give up a tying or leading goal should be benched or something shouldn't he? Not taking the faceoff on the next shift? He takes players like Pouliot out of the game for fanning on a pass that gives SanJose the lead, but what is that going to do to the veteran's? They see a young, no-name kid getting made an example of? Big deal. Bench Horcoff for a game or three and see if it wakes his usless ass up. That's what a coach should do. He had no problem calling out Penner or Schremp, but not his golden boy Horcoff who lets the play die with him everytime he touches the puck.

ALL the problem's don't lie with MacT, but since you can't trade the WHOLE team, you start with the coach to see if someone else can get the talent going. Take a look at Chicago, or Washington last year.

Guest RedWiggler

Honestly I think the Oil could be a really good team, guys like Hemmer and Horcroff have been there for awhile now and need to be kicking some asses around out there. Souray is not a leader, they need someone like Messier or Iggy that can grab punks like Nillson and drag him out in the hallway for a good talking to. He has such a bad attitude that Mact cant even deal him and Im sure he is not good for moral in the dressing room either. This team has tons of skill its just to bad that the youngsters on the team dont care about winning as much as they care about getting paid and laid. Its frustrating cause we know there good, they just dont care which is majorly aggravating.

I agree, but only to a point. Gaining, or building discipline would be part of the coache's job woulnd't it? You take a dumb penalty where you give up a tying or leading goal should be benched or something shouldn't he? Not taking the faceoff on the next shift? He takes players like Pouliot out of the game for fanning on a pass that gives SanJose the lead, but what is that going to do to the veteran's? They see a young, no-name kid getting made an example of? Big deal. Bench Horcoff for a game or three and see if it wakes his usless ass up. That's what a coach should do. He had no problem calling out Penner or Schremp, but no his golden boy Horcoff who lets the play die with him everytime he touches the puck.

ALL the problem's don't lie with MacT, but since you can't trade the WHOLE team, you start with the coach to see if someone else can get the talent going. Take a look at Chicago, or Washington last year.

Right on!!.......Moreau is a good tough leader but he costs us a goal a night with his lack of discipline.......Horcoff is hot and cold but I agree that if the coach is going to get something going he has to get his veterans motivated.........I just don't see a reasonable ratio of return/talent.......As you said they can't trade the whole team so...........

they need someone like Messier or Iggy that can grab punks like Nillson and drag him out in the hallway for a good talking to. He has such a bad attitude that Mact cant even deal him and Im sure he is not good for moral in the dressing room either.

Who would have thought the Kent Nilsson's boy would be tough to coach?

I thought that's what coaches did..........Took lots of talent and made it into a team..........Instilled discipline........Made them want to win...........The Rangers management obviously think they know something that Edmonton doesn't........We'll see.......

I thought that's what coaches did..........Took lots of talent and made it into a team..........Instilled discipline........Made them want to win...........The Rangers management obviously think they know something that Edmonton doesn't........We'll see.......

All I know is that if Torts does well with NYR, I'll be a little annoyed as he was my vote to take over if they finally get off thier hands and can MacT.

Guest RedWiggler

Buddy, the only thing left to do there is to starting putting guns to peoples heads and you cant do that. Coaches are bascically handcuffed,you get some over paid little bitches on your team that can play. What to do, do you bench them? it doesnt matter!! Mac will take the fall and will end up somewhere else, hopefully a better situation cause he is stuck in Edmonton, his players have no heart and there is nothing he can do about it. Remember when Scotty Bowman siad that he is not that great of a coach he just had really good teams to work with. At this level players do not need to be coached as much as it is up to the player to go out there and try hard to win. Just wait a month when Fonzy T. is in the media going off on one of his famous rants up there in New York, it aint going to make a differance i the long run just in the short....we will see!!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone happy with the trades?

I think O'Sullivan is gonna fit in here. He's affordable at 2.9 a year and he's signed for 2 more seasons. Then there's also Kotalik for a 2nd rounder too! Think we came out on the winning end of those deals.

Too bad it had to be Cole though, he was finding his game. Kinda hoped we would dump one of our plugs...

Suntoucher, I'm in let's-wait-and-see mode as far as this trade is concerned. Like you, I'm sorry to see Cole go, but I don't think anyone thought the Oilers would be able to sign him this summer. He never even sold his house in Carolina. The best I can say is that the trade changes some things and maybe will wake up some of the "plugs."

Also, if I understand things correctly, all the Oilers gave up in the end, was Cole. LA sent O'Sullivan and a 2nd round pick to Carolina, who then sent both to the Oilers in exchange for Cole. The Oilers then sent the 2nd round pick to Buffalo for Kotalik.

I hope Kotalik and O'Sullivan can hook up with the Oilers for tomorrow's game -- anxious to get a look at them both. Terry

Suntoucher, I'm in let's-wait-and-see mode as far as this trade is concerned. Like you, I'm sorry to see Cole go, but I don't think anyone thought the Oilers would be able to sign him this summer. He never even sold his house in Carolina. The best I can say is that the trade changes some things and maybe will wake up some of the "plugs."

Also, if I understand things correctly, all the Oilers gave up in the end, was Cole. LA sent O'Sullivan and a 2nd round pick to Carolina, who then sent both to the Oilers in exchange for Cole. The Oilers then sent the 2nd round pick to Buffalo for Kotalik.

I hope Kotalik and O'Sullivan can hook up with the Oilers for tomorrow's game -- anxious to get a look at them both. Terry

I agree with both of you and share your same basic feelings about Cole. Sure, I am sad to see him go, as I do think he was starting to find his game. And, based on his interview regarding the trade, I do think that he was surprised by it and a bit dissapointed about it.

However, we get a younger winger in O'Sullivan, who is a shoot first ask questions later kind of guy who can play on the left with Hemsky and that other guy. Kotalik is not a small guy, who can score. Good replacement for the size they lost in Cole.

I am looking forward to see how they pan out.

171620765_afe164f2d6_m.jpg

My thoughts on the Oilers performance last night. Terry

Ditto..........and then McT does his post game Darryl Sutter imitation--------"duh I didn't see the effort we should have at this time of year, duh"........I guess if we miss playoffs this year for 5 of the last 7 we'll make a few changes over the summer??........D'ya think??

Im my opinion this team has no chemistry happening.....decent players that don't play well together......again there is no on ice leadership.....time for Lowe to go as he is the one that put this bunch together.......

Crappy game aside.. it was really nice to see Gagner pot a hat trick last night..

And yes, you read that correctly.

Yes he did!!........I enjoyed his animation with his stitched up fat lip while they waited for the WRONG decision..........Not much output from the new guys but not much from the old ones either---except for Gagner.....Calgary's acquisitions didn't take long to step up..........