Fly Fusion Forums

Official Oilers 2008/2048 Season Thread

I'm starting to wonder just how much ass licking I would have to do in order to convert to a Flames fan. Could someone explain what the conversion rules are? :huh:

Switch to the Blackhawks........No ass to lick and ALOT better chance of having YOUR team in the playoffs........More Alberta boys on the Hawks than on the Flames anyway.........

Oh good Gawd, I think I'm embracing the dark side. I disdain conspiracy theories in general, but after last night's phantom call against Grebeshkov in OT, on a non-existent penalty, I think I might start listening to Hawstoppah and theory of every ref against the Flames.

Perhaps its every ref against and Albertan teams? Canadian teams?

Brutal call. And even worse; the Oilers looked liked they actually belonged in the NHL for most parts of the game! Tough to lose that way.

Smitty

smitty. it's an anti canadian thing. like the BS calls against burrows in vancouver the other night. sure burrows kind of put him up to it, but HOW THE F*&** is that guy still reffing in the nhl after what he did????

the question is..... why?????????????? for pride???? save it and do the team a favor... at this point the best thing edmonton can do is lose.

Ya it becomes a sticky situation. I am sure some of those guys are playing for a spot on the team next year

Am I seeing things right?

Did the Oilers WIN two in a row???? :blink:

Darrin,

Even the sun shines on the dog ***hole every now and then.

or as the old saying goes

Even the grass is green around the septic (sp???) tank

• 8 months later...

Now, this is the thread that I really wanted to re-start.

A respectable pre-season at 4-2 with the only losses coming to division rivals, the fLAMES, the kids looked pretty good in the pre-season.

Personally, I'm not too happy about some of the cuts they made to the roster on the final days with keeping Peckham, who has had opportunity before, and failed to really impress me. I would have rather seen Belle up than him, or even Petiot. Only downside to Petiot is that he's only played in College, so let him have a few games under his belt in the A and we'll see how he does.

Still need to make some decisions with regards to Souray, the last cancer in the room from a forgettable season, and figuring out the goal tending situation with Khabibulin being the #1 (God only knows how he'll do with his surgically repaired back this season, and his DUI hanging over his head) and either Deslauriers or Dubnyk being the back up. Early opinion is Deslauriers to the minors and Dubnyk as the back up. Felt that he showed more poise and control with the puck last year, and that carried forward to the pre-season.

With additions like Whitney late last year, and I think a steal of a free agent in Kurtis Foster, they have re-vamped their blue line with some more firepower they lost in Souray with the before mentioned Whitney and the cannon of a shot from Foster, the Power Play could be another weapon for them this year.

Up front, they of course have the "Big Three" as Edmonton calls them in Hall, Eberle and Parjarrvi. Along with new additions, in Colin Fraser, and Ryan Jones, they could have a very strong fourth line with either MacIntyre or Stortini to grind and muck it up when called upon.

Horcoff was named Captain today. 13th in Oiler history. Could be a bad omen, or it could be just what he needs to give him the boost to earn the big paycheque he takes home again this season. He's shown more jump in the pre-season than all of last year combined, but he wasn't given the "C" because he's their best player, not by a long shot. He's shown drive and determination with every shift and has taken both Hall and Eberle under his wing, both in the locker room and on the ice as his wing mates. Still hasn't really shown if he's a true #1 centre in this league, although he did make strides to that effect two years ago in a injury shortened season that saw him tally 52 points in 53 games or something like that. We'll see if the "C" is enough for him to take his game to the next level or not, so time will tell. I'm pulling for him.

With the Big Three come high hopes and with some, high expectations. I don't expect any of them to really step in and light it up right off the bat, so I am cautiously optimistic with all three of them. Parjaarvi and Eberle both had a couple of break out games in the pre-season, where Hall just tried to get comfortable as a boy playing in a man's league. He did alright and didn't look out of place, so we'll see how they all pan out. BIG advantages to Eberle and Parjaarvi as they both had some experience playing with men last season, Magnus in the Swedish Elite League and Jordan in the AHL, and both of them shined in the World Hockey Championship last spring with Magnus being named to the All Star Team for the tournament.

They won't make the playoffs this year and won't finish 30th either. But, they sure will be fun to watch!

Can't wait for this season to get going!

I'm going to enjoy watching the Oil play this year. Guys like Horcoff, Hemsky, Gagner, and Cogliano should do better than last season, while Penner hopefully does as well or better. The 3 rookies should do well, and hopefully at least one of them will surprise. They're going to be given every opportunity to succeed.

Still an Oiler fan, and always will be. At least this year we have a lot to look forward to. :)

I'm going to enjoy watching the Oil play this year. Guys like Horcoff, Hemsky, Gagner, and Cogliano should do better than last season, while Penner hopefully does as well or better. The 3 rookies should do well, and hopefully at least one of them will surprise. They're going to be given every opportunity to succeed.

Still an Oiler fan, and always will be. At least this year we have a lot to look forward to. :)

I'm with you.

Don't care how long I live here. I will be an Oiler fan for life.

At the very least, they will be a fun team to watch this year.

Good. At least he'll be playing, so that he can be 'scouted' or whatever they need to see in order to show interest in him.

I think the worst thing that he could have done for himself was to lambaste the management. How many hockey clubs are in the market for a loud-mouth, over paid defenceman?

The Caps farm team?????? They don't even trust him enough to send him down to there own team LOL

P.S OILERS SUCK

He has a reputation of being a cancer in the locker room.. they don't want him around the young guys on the farm team. Smart move IMO!

PS - how are the Flames draft picks looking? :P

Just to add to Ryan:

Tonight was exactly why you don't need Souray around.

WICKED game. Just awesome. LOVE the speed, the creativity.

This season could be the most fun I've had in quite awhile, watching the Oilers.

Smitty

:nhl: There shall be no mercy. :nhl:

:gkhan: We will conquer for years to come. :gkhan:

:box: We shall inflict pain on all those who dare to stand in our way. :boxers:

:wave_smile: This is the beginning of a new dynasty. :wave_smile:

It's time to redesign the "City of Champions" sign at the gateway to greatness.

Sick game.

Absolutely SICK!

What's the word I'm looking for? Oh yeah! EPIC game by the Oil.

Definitely an example of why they don't need Souray any more.

Great game all around. He didn't get any points, but Hall certainly didn't look out of place as an 18 year old.

I know its only ONE game, but it was a great way to come back after getting swept last year by the boys in red.

Couldn't have asked for a better start to the season.

GO OILERS GO!

I was watching in utter disbelief as the Oil were buzzing around the slow, old Flames in the first and third. The Flames came out hard in the second, but the 'Bulan Wall held the fort long enough for the Oil to regroup. Any hockey fan would have enjoyed Eberle's first goal. It's only a matter of time before the other two rookies get their firsts.

I know every game won't be like this, but wow was that fun to watch!