Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the Hawks really needed the help.

Ya calgary came out flat and played absolutly terrible all game , but after that first penalty it was pretty obvious that the refs where going to do whatever it took to get the hawks in the lead. How do you call a holding penalty against Calgary when it was clearly the hawk player that was doing the holding unless you have an agenda. But ya i definitly agree Calgary made the refs agenda pretty easy last night Lets face it if your playing a team that gets to start every game with 9 players on the ice in a best of seven your going to come out flat towards the end of the series if it even goes that long.

So true how a team plays that good through the whole playoffs comes out that flat in the 7th game of the final series is a bit baffling.

Not quite sure why Keenan waited until the 4th goal to pull Kipper. Served zero purpose at that point. What was Kipper thinking (or not thinking) on that 3rd one? Lazy play that no on top of his game goalie would ever make. Reminded me of a goal in our rec league. After that goal, everyone around me was screaming to pull him, but he waits until they score another weak one.

That said - if you can't score on a long 5:3 in the playoffs (or even get a decent shot) you will never make it past the second round anyway. Said it before and I'll say it again, this team's chemistry was destroyed at the trade deadline.

The early penalties were quite a joke. Refs have completely disregarded the intent of certain rules (like holding) and now use the free arm as an excuse. If holding the stick is a penalty (except for Chicago last night who had 4 blatant holding the sticks that were let go) then why is holding someones glove not a penalty. To me, its akin to diving when a guy clamps down on someones arm and holds on trying to draw the penalty. If the refs understood fair play - they would not call anything or call both for holding.

So true how a team plays that good through the whole playoffs comes out that flat in the 7th game of the final series is a bit baffling.

Becuase they got a completely ridiculous 5 on 3 called against them early in game 7. I could refresh your memory of how there was ONE legit flames penalty, and then two guys tied up in the corner throwing punches at eachother, and they only sent the flames player to the bin, making it a 5 on 3 which of course tampa scored on... and in a tight defensive game as it was in '04, the stripes had done their job. They also called a flames penalty with about a minute to go when lecavlier or st louis got cut by his own damn stick on a play.

Pretty hard to win playoff series when the opposing team has a 9vs5 PP all game.

ouch ouch ouch. that hurt just to watch. hard to imagine what it would have been like to play in that game.

the reffing was again pretty crappy. how about the hold on nystrom (on the first penalty kill i think) after he chipped it past the defenceman? could have been a breakaway. that was a terrible call on sarich. hockey is a man's game and if you're going to flop like a raggedy ann everytime sometime touches you....not that the reffing cost the game by any stretch of the imagination but that set the tone early....

time to sit the guys who are hurt and let the youngsters have a go. i don't think langkow, bourque or conroy should have been in the lineup. may as well have the young guys step in and play....at 100% healthy they're likely at least as good as the starters who are playing at 80% (or less). greentree was second in goal scoring in the ahl for qc this year (39 goals)....give him a chance....

gotta do something to shake things up....although......someone stole the flames flag off my truck antenna last night......the flames haven't won a series since i started flying that flag during the playoffs....could be just the jumpstart needed.....

As an Oilers fan...I generally pull for Canadian teams, even the hated Flames when they're the only ones left.

Looks like the reffing is stinkin' like 24 day old refuse pile.

BUT!

Do you think that over a 7 game series that reffing seriously makes the difference? Really?

I say that, to provide an example in a comparison, with a winner take all one game series. Case in point: women's gold medal final in Salt Lake (winter Oly 2002). I believe at one point, the US had something like 10 powerplays to our 0 by the start of the third period. Now THAT was bad reffing, and could have seriously made a difference. Thank God we won.

I get the frustration of the Flames fans; its justified. But if the Flames lose in 6 or 7, and people start whispering conspiracy theories about the officiating, its hard not to chalk that up to just plain old bitterness...

Smitty

Smitty:

turn that around this way:

Great on the canadian women to beat USA despite the horrible reffing. One game. Do you think they could have won 4 of 7 reffed like that? Probably not. case in point, the flames have to win 4 of 7 despite brutal reffing every friggin game. God it's hard to be a fan of a team that gets the shaft so bad. The only other team that even comes close to getting shafted on penalties as bad as the flames is the ducks (for some reason)

Guest Sundancefisher

I like to cheer for the home team but unfortunately Calgary clearly shows they lack fundamental passing and puck handling skills. I can not possibly see how they are going to continue on.

The "charge the corner and hope for the best" game strategy does not win 4 games out of 7. For two it did but doubtfully for two now in a row...unlikely.

Next year the Flames need to spend 30 days testing the basics. Without passing skills the powerplay will continue to suck and the large number of freebee puck giveaways will continue all to often.

So here it is, do or die. In a season where we have seen every line combination possible, every excuse/explanation thrown at us, every arm chair coach's contemplation, media condemnation, from contenders to pretenders flip flopping daily, tonight it ends, we must win. A loss tonight will be blamed on injuries, on reffing, on coaching, and it may be right, the flip side is a win only adds another game. My playoff beard is itchy, my jersey needs a wash, everything I can do as a fan has been done. I have spent thousands on tickets, hours of my time watching the games I could not go to, hundreds on merchandise, it's time the players step up and realize being a member of this team carries a price, and we as fans deserve some return.

Go flames!

Now before we get an all out assault on getting the shaft due to the reffing or injuries or other weak excuses, maybe shames fans it's time to face the facts........CALGARY SUCKS! 20 minutes to go and it's lookin good, keep it going Chicago.

Now before we get an all out assault on getting the shaft due to the reffing or injuries or other weak excuses, maybe shames fans it's time to face the facts........CALGARY SUCKS! 20 minutes to go and it's lookin good, keep it going Chicago.

Even if they lose 10-0 tonight, they've still played 6 more games than the Oil;suck on that! :angel:smail: