Fly Fusion Forums

One Fly Or Two?

rehsifylf

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you most often use one fly or two when fishing in Alberta

• One Fly
    • Two Flies
    • Three Flies

I've always only used one fly on my line, but when I moved to Alberta in the early 90's - saw that some people used two. From posts I've read on this board - it seems very common.

I tried it a few times this year and find that casting is not as enjoyable, the lines get tangled, and its a pain to store when your done for the day. And - I've always seemed to do pretty well relative to others with just one fly.

Just curious.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the answer would significantly be determined by what kind of fly you are using. Are you talking about nymphing? Then the answer would be two. If you are talking about dry flying, then the answer would be one. Although I am sure that there are some true innovators out there who have tried or are planning on trying two dry flies. To each thier own.

If I am nymphing, I typically have been using two. Dry, only one, of course.

Dry..usually 1 unless I'm havin' trouble seein' some infinitesimal piece of fluff with a hook in it, then I'll double team the SOB with a sz12 royal wulff

nymphs..usually 2

Soft hackles, wingless wets and small streamers.. 2 sometimes 3

Big honkin' streamers..1.. best not to get too stupid when throwin' 1/0, 2/0, 3/0 hooks

Three nymphs when nymphing, depending on depth, wind and hot fly maybe switch to two. Hopper-dropper setup unless fishing close to logjams and tight spots or if there is an obvious hatch.

When fishin cuttie streams, sz 14 dry and small nymph dropper. Deadly.

Bow River usually three nymphs or hopper dropper. Beyaaaah! :catch:

Normally I use 2 flies while nymphing. Not only is there a higher probability of a take, its a great way to compare effectiveness of whats working. One caution is that the bottom fly is generally more productive, so you need to take this into account. I do however fish only one nymph in the spring simply because with all the debris in the water I loose too many flies. There are a variety of ways to fish two flies. My favourite is to tie two surgean knots with 5 inch sections of tippets to tie flies into about 8 inches apart then leave a 5 inch section at the end with a knot in the very end to anchour your wieghts. The advantage of this is that the wieghts are more likely to snag than your fly and it puts your bottom fly in very close contact with the bottom. Hopper dropper is an extremely effective strategy that I use regularly.

Is fishing three flies legal???

Is fishing three flies legal???

3's the magic number,

from the regs

# Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).

# Use a lure in angling with more than three hooks as part of it.

# Use a hook with more than three points on a common shaft (see Important Definitions).

3's the magic number,

from the regs

# Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g., three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).

# Use a lure in angling with more than three hooks as part of it.

# Use a hook with more than three points on a common shaft (see Important Definitions).

Thanks for clarifying...

If I'm nymphing I start with three and if they're only going after the one fly then I switch to only that one fly. Dries - one fly (except for hopper-dropper). Streamers - one fly.

Real fly fishers use one. Those that use three may as well switch to a wedding ring.

I just like to use one fly a dry fly. Fishing on top to me is very exciting to see the take.

That's nice. Not all of us can make it out during a hatch so we use streamers and nymphs as well. Just because you choose to limit yourself to a single dry fly there's no need to belittle those of us who don't. I agree that it's exciting to see the take on a dry, but it's also great to feel a savage take on the dangle or first strip of a streamer. To each his own.

Hey headscan.

Very polite well thought out reply to some narrow minded, holier than thou crap. Shows you to be a well reasoned, thoughtful man.

I am neither of those.

To the narrow minded out there, you can blow it out your ..........

Please fish your way and have fun. Don't ever think anyone gives the slightest crap on your take on what is proper fishing. You are boring.

Oh, 3 when nymphing unless something specifically is working or it is windy. Or hopper/dropper or single dry. Sometimes a dry/emerger or even dry/dry.

Hey headscan.

Very polite well thought out reply to some narrow minded, holier than thou crap. Shows you to be a well reasoned, thoughtful man.

I am neither of those.

To the narrow minded out there, you can blow it out your ..........

Please fish your way and have fun. Don't ever think anyone gives the slightest crap on your take on what is proper fishing. You are boring.

Oh, 3 when nymphing unless something specifically is working or it is windy. Or hopper/dropper or single dry. Sometimes a dry/emerger or even dry/dry.

How do you know headscan is a man?

Anyway - go ahead and justify your chumming approach if you must, but part of fly fishing is tradition, and tradition is one fly. I won't insult you because of your views, no matter how wrong they are. Thats just the reasonable type of man I am.

The best advice my father ever gave me: Never chum for fish just to catch fish!

Anyway - go ahead and justify your chumming approach if you must, but part of fly fishing is tradition, and tradition is one fly. I won't insult you because of your views, no matter how wrong they are. Thats just the reasonable type of man I am.

I've met him before on the water. Seemed like a great guy.

Since you are such a traditionalist, maybe you can tell me where you get the antique bamboo rods and catgut leaders you "traditionalists" use? I see by your handle you probaly use some orvis gear, so I went to their website looking for more traditional gear so I can be a true fisherman as well. Looked to me like they actually use graphite, and have since 1974. Interesting. I didn't realize graphite was around in the 1800s. And I couldn't find any catgut at all, or silk lines for that matter. I was somewhat disappointed. Much to my amazement, they also sold nymphs. How exactly do you fish those on surface?

By the way, I've also decided that I should be more traditional when I golf as well. Any ideas where I can find some wood shafts and gutta-percha balls?

Finally, don't screw with my dad. You want to banter with me, go ahead. I'm quite certain I can handle you. Leave my father out of it.

Guest RedWiggler

Chumming, I like that.......lol!!!!

1=dry

1=streamer

1 or 2=nymphing

I like to use as little stuff as possible = rod - leader - tippet - fly. I dont use split shot, weight , swivells etc. My opinion is that that stuff just takes away from the game, this is my opinion so just go fish however you want I dont give a crap as long as you are not poaching or breaking the rules. :peesout:

It is highly dependent on the area (river lake stream etc). but from one to three. There are a great many different presentation systems that require vastly different presentation methods. as an example when targeting a rising wily trout in a still water situation a single dry fly is key. While fishing a brace (3) of wet flies at certain time of the year is a good bet. No method or presentation works always.

Good discussion (most of it). Guess I've been out of the loop - I had no idea so many people used multiple flies.

I tried two on Saturday and didn't have much luck. Went back to one and got a few. My fishing partner used one all day and did pretty well.

I also don't use the dry line with strike indicator approach either - and based on the boats I saw on Saturday, that seems to be the predominant method on the river. I used a wet line for nymphing/streamers and dry line only for dry flies. So that may be a better way to fish multiple flies.

Although I don't agree with much OO says, I do think that tradition plays some part in what we do (especially etiquette), and one fly seems more traditional (though I have no idea if this is really true). To each his or her own - whatever is legal and you enjoy you should do. I'll probably stick to one fly.