Fly Fusion Forums

One Fly Or Two?

rehsifylf

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you most often use one fly or two when fishing in Alberta

• One Fly
    • Two Flies
    • Three Flies

Although I don't agree with much OO says, I do think that tradition plays some part in what we do (especially etiquette), and one fly seems more traditional (though I have no idea if this is really true). To each his or her own - whatever is legal and you enjoy you should do. I'll probably stick to one fly.

I agree with the first part of that statement.

I'll bite on the second part (big surprise there).

Just what traditions should we follow? The gear we use now bears little resemblance to traditional fly fishing gear. Superficially they may look similar, but the gear we use is light years beyond. Traditionally everyone tied there own stuff, with what I would imagine were materials they had at hand. Doubt they had a lot of peacock, chenille, flashabou, and whatever else the modern fly tier has at his disposal. So the flies themselves bear little resemblence, in many cases. They kept and ate all their fish back in the day. Maybe we should resurrect that tradition? In Europe, and originally in North America, fly fishing was an activity for the elite. Fortuanltely for most of us here, that isn't true anymore.

So again, what tradition? (and rehsifylf, the question isn't directed at you. It is mostly rhetorical.)

The third part of your statement is bang on. Fishing, in whatever form, is about doing whatever it is you want to do, as long as it is within the rules. Anyone who thinks that their method of fooling an animal of instinct, with a brain the size of my pinkie fingernail, is superior to anyone elses method needs to give their head a shake.

Oh, and chumming is a great method to use when fishing for sharks! Everyone should try it sometimes.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I have noticed about the "traditionalist", is they usually suck as modern flyfisherman. A "real" flyfisher in this day and age, is one who is skilled in all flyfishing tactics...like me. :box:

Oh Greg, I gotta thank you for the laugh out loud.

But a real fly fisherman is like me. Anyone who uses the long rod is cheating!! <--poke--<

'Traditionally' speaking, many years ago during the which is holier era of dry vs wet fly, 'casts' as gut leaders were called then, typically used 2, 3 or more wet flies on them. They were seldom longer than 4-5' and were fished with sinking lines. If you read those things called books, some of the old classic titles such as Ray Bergmann's 'Trout', Polly Rosenbergs 'tying and fishing the fuzzy nymph' and Mary Orvis's 'Favourite Flies' describes this age old method well.(I've even used 2 dries at times.) I dont think we need to get the Skues and Hewitt arguements going again after more than a hundred years.

As for storing them, I simply snip them off at the top fly and wrap the whole works around the brim of my hat, sticking the flies into the hat band. Helps to wear one of those 'old fart' fedora's, they are more functional then stylish despite how Hollywood portrays them on flyfishers.

'Traditionally' speaking, many years ago during the which is holier era of dry vs wet fly, 'casts' as gut leaders were called then, typically used 2, 3 or more wet flies on them. They were seldom longer than 4-5' and were fished with sinking lines. If you read those things called books, some of the old classic titles such as Ray Bergmann's 'Trout', Polly Rosenbergs 'tying and fishing the fuzzy nymph' and Mary Orvis's 'Favourite Flies' describes this age old method well.(I've even used 2 dries at times.) I dont think we need to get the Skues and Hewitt arguements going again after more than a hundred years.

Yup, I seem to also recall seeing an old (circa 16th or 17th century) drawing of a monk fly fishing with something like a dozen flies on one line. If you want to get really traditional, the Treatyse of Fishing with an Angle describes using rods made of ash, hazel, and willow and lines made of horse hair and no reels. Haven't run across anyone fishing that way around here lately...

Thanks Headscan and Bowcane, nice to see some traditions are still around. Headscan, you are a a male, correct? OO was wondering. I tried to assure him you were, but I don't know if he believes me.

If anyone wants to read one of those things called "books", there is one called "The River Why" given to me by the artist formerly known as Bigbadbrent. Very nice study in the tradition of fly fishing vs. more down and dirty methods. The Protaganist's mother is a bait fisherman and his father a famous fly fishing (and noted snob) author, with the last name of Orviston. Funny name Orviston. I wonder where they got it from? Anyway, the "Treatyse of Fishing with an Angle" is quoted numerous times. We had best be glad that some traditions (catch and kill them all) have faded into the deep dark past.

Edit: It was actually "The Compleat Angler" by Izaac Walton that was quoted in "The River Why", published well after "Treatyse...."

Here is an article on the history of fly fishing. Methinks we have had this argument before......

Short Fly Fishing History

Headscan, you are a a male, correct? OO was wondering. I tried to assure him you were, but I don't know if he believes me.

Wait, let me check. Yup I am, although now everyone else in the office is looking at me funny.

Rick, what are these "books" you speak of? Can you find them on the internets? I looked on the google for them and got something about amazons and facebooks.

Anyways, I'm finished feeding this troll.

Yes - but I find it usually only takes one pattern, I skillfully lay a single hook out there and some fish just can't resist. Usually they get really angry and put up a decent fight, but eventually after playing with them for awhile, I reel them in. After all, as some have pointed out, I'm dealing with something with a tiny brain. It's a great pastime. But I enjoy variety so I think I'll leave one fish to go find another even though some have suggested that is not a good idea.

Yes - but I find it usually only takes one pattern, I skillfully lay a single hook out there and some fish just can't resist. Usually they get really angry and put up a decent fight, but eventually after playing with them for awhile, I reel them in. After all, as some have pointed out, I'm dealing with something with a tiny brain. It's a great pastime. But I enjoy variety so I think I'll leave one fish to go find another even though some have suggested that is not a good idea.

Orvisonly, its great to see that you have found a method of fishing that YOU enjoy.

My only question to you is simple: WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO TELL ANYONE WHAT FISHING IS TO THEM.

In ending all I want to say is as long as it is within the regs, to each his/hers own.

In other words, go pound salt.

I am using this platform to officially describe my 3 dry fly method. "The Trifecta"

Used during a heavy hatch or during prospecting, use a big (#6-12) bushy attractor as your point fly (stimulator, H&L variant, wulff, etc), the 2nd fly will be a medium sized (#12-16) terrestial of some kind (flying ant, beetle, mcginty, etc), the 3rd fly will be a smaller (#16-22) hatch matching fly (bwo, caddis, trico, etc). There should be enough distance between each fly, too eliminate drag. I usually use about 3-4 feet between each with floatant applied to the lines. Remember to use an open casting loop to prevent tangles. You will be amazed at the variation of presentations you can get with this set-up. I have had many fish get attracted to the point fly only to see the terrestrial floating behind it, and slam it instead.

A drag free drift is not required if you are using a big stonefly, a medium hopper, & a small caddis. All 3 of these can be skated on the surface to imitate the natural.

Some may scoff at this technique with ideas of tangles, drag, sloppy presentations and spooked fish, but I am just trying to think outside the "fly" box. This method is not for the inexperienced angler/caster. But where would we be without trying something new?

I am still experimenting with variations of this method and any feedback would be appreciated.

Norman

I am still experimenting with variations of this method and any feedback would be appreciated.

Norman

I tried playing with a stimulator and two emergers of different size on Sunday and gave up after a couple of tangles. I might given up too easily. I'll give your set up a shot.

Subtle. Sorta like a hammer is subtle. Twice on my tag line? You have some creativity (though you tend to lapse into redundancy), and it looks like a little wit. Unfortunately you have chosen to use your meager skills for evil instead of good.

I did look at your posts. Think you may post a fishing post or maybe some useful information anytime soon?

Anyway, like Headscan, I'll quit feeding the troll as well. Sorry for being so easily chummed up. Guess I was caught with one fly as well, even one very sloppily presented.

I did look at your posts (orvisonly). Think you may post a fishing post or maybe some useful information anytime soon?

It's not likely rickr...seems these kind of flyfishers (orvisonly, aka OO, pronounced... oh-oh...which I think means hello...)

tend to compensate for their lack of real fishing skills, with cheap shots to take the focus off of the real problem...

Their insecurity... Yep, a classic case.

Thing is... we should feel sorry for him (oh-oh.)...Cause that's the kind of reasonable guys we all are round' here...

After all, he only knows how to fish with one fly and then claims to be a traditionalist to cover up his short comings...

Sad really... when you think about it...

Guest RedWiggler

Ive had one, Whiteys to boot....haha!!! had no net so it was fun trying to get the hook out of one while the other was still in the water thrashing around.

Ok I use 2 or more flies almost always whilst nymphing.

The better question is.................who has caught more than one fish at a time?

I once was using 2 nymphs and caught 2 whites in a nice deep pool in which a bull trout came and grabbed the top white fish and broke everything off... i thought it was pretty funny because he grabbed the whitefish pretty good and when he was swimming with it he was draggin the other one with him

Subtle. Sorta like a hammer is subtle. Twice on my tag line? You have some creativity (though you tend to lapse into redundancy), and it looks like a little wit. Unfortunately you have chosen to use your meager skills for evil instead of good.

I did look at your posts. Think you may post a fishing post or maybe some useful information anytime soon?

Anyway, like Headscan, I'll quit feeding the troll as well. Sorry for being so easily chummed up. Guess I was caught with one fly as well, even one very sloppily presented.

Still maybe too subtle for bhurt, though, eh? But not nice to make fun of the nescient.

Regarding your tag line. If your dad stole a line from Shakespeare, repeated it to you and then I quoted it, would I be messing with you, your Dad or with Bill?

Now for the useful fishing information you asked for.

Attention all fly fishermen and women! Here is some useful fishing information, please take note.

Get a pen and write this down.

Here it is:

Real fly fishers only use one fly.

The best advice I ever gave someone: Never use more than one fly.

I once was using 2 nymphs and caught 2 whites in a nice deep pool in which a bull trout came and grabbed the top white fish and broke everything off... i thought it was pretty funny because he grabbed the whitefish pretty good and when he was swimming with it he was draggin the other one with him
I had a double hit one while floating with some clients last year. Two bows both small. I have to say a fair bit of narrow minded responses here. As long as people obey the regs and respect the fish /enviroment do whatever gives you the most pleasure...

Attention all fly fishermen and women! Here is some useful fishing information, please take note.

Here it is:

:lol::lol:

Still maybe too subtle for bhurt, though, eh? But not nice to make fun of the nescient.

Regarding your tag line. If your dad stole a line from Shakespeare, repeated it to you and then I quoted it, would I be messing with you, your Dad or with Bill?

Here it is:

What the hell, this is fun.

First, I'd be a bit careful with bhurt. He was my sons football coach and I would classify him as someone you want with you in the proverbial dark alley. Not a fella I'd want on my bad side. Just some friendly advice.

Second, if dad appropriated or paraphrased Bill, then I guess you'd have to apologize to Bill.

Third, if imitation is the greatest form of flattery, what is satirical imitation?

And finally, I did ask for useful iformation. Your "advice" was redundant (sort of a theme) and of very dubious use.