• Three Flies

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow....

I'll never get that 20 minutes of my life back.......... :$*%&:

Great thread.... not

Fly fishing is what you want it to be so long as your within the regs. I personally like the options alberta gives you in the fact that you can (if your SMART) tie 3 nymphs on and much more quickly find out exactly what the fish are keying on. Once that's accomplished, I usually go back to 2, one for weight and one for food. :)

I guess our boy here Orvis has :

- never "trolled" from his pontoon boat in a lake (that wouldn't be fly fishing)

- never nymphed with any weight or sp[litshots at all, ever

- never fished a streamer

- never fished spey or two handers

- never cast blindly - EVER - to the water without first sighting a RISING fish.

Quite simply boring if you ask me. :)

Think you guys are protesting too much.

I think I saw you guys on the golf course the other day. You were all playing from thw white tees (except rickr who seemed to be playing from the reds).

I played from the blacks because I enjoyed the challenge. After the round you mentioned to me that I was an idiot for not taking advantage of the option to play from the whites - the rules allow it.

Some people would harvest their limit, use live bait, barbs on their hooks etc. - as long as the regs allowed it.

In fact - I used to have this same debate with people more than a decade ago about using barbless hooks.

As the US candidate recently said - you can put lipstick on a pig - its still a pig. You can give someone a fly rod...

LoyalEddie:

Lightsabers! Cool!

OrvisOnly:

I love snobbery. :) God, please tell me your English, fish with a tweed jacket, smoke a pipe, and only a single malt at least 12 years old will do. Please tell me that. Though I don't think the smile can get bigger on my face. Also, please tell me that the only acceptable cast is the quarter upstream.

Me? I cast with my left arm (the wrong one), fish with 3 wet flies on a high-d line, and where allowed, a maggot on each. Then, again where allowed, I catch my first fish, I break its neck, and make sure the flies are blood soaked (someone actually taught me to troll flies in a lake for brookies with this method).

Oh, I also troll crankbaits and flatfish at the end of my sinking line in lakes. :)

All of the above as challenging as hell. ;)

Love the debate. I hope someone will draw the obvious connection between fishing with only one dry fly and the contribution that makes to global warming, because that would definitely not be an absurd debate. ;)

Thanks for making my day better.

Smitty

Whoa Orvisonly...........no one called you an idiot till you started this holier than everyone else crap of "real flyfishers use only one fly". Yup the rules say we can do it, and that guys can harvest there limit etc. Until the rules change people have that right, if you don't like it, lobby the government for change, not slag other fishers. If you consider your views to be absolute, perhaps you should leave Alberta and Canada and go somewhere more in line with your ideology, such as Iran. As for the real flyfishers club I guess they don't include;

-Jim and Linda Mclennan

-Barry Mitchell

-Joe Humphries

-Gary Lafontaine

-Gary Borger

-Syl Nemes

-Lee Wulff

-likely a pile more

After all they all use and describe multiple fly rigs in their literature. Call them masters or morons, but they are all well respected members of the flyfishing community. If you are firm in your convictions, go tell those of this fore mentioned group that are still alive they are not flyfishers, and start a slag-a-thon of those who are dead. See what that gets you.

Well, I've listened to all sides and I've seen the light...I will now only fish with one fly...a dry...well, maybe I'll let it sink a bit.

Hey Orvisonly, when we gettin' out fishin'...I've had it with these losers...

I too have seen the light and always catch millions of fish with only one fly. I find the trick is to spray it with some WD40 first to reduce hook squeak. :devil:

That's the spirit...now if I could just find a floatant to keep that big SJW up on the surface, I will be a real flyfisherman before you know it... :catch:

WD 40, that's only for the Bow guides and their clients...top secret. Officially, they only use it for anti-corrosion purposes... :psssst:

That's the spirit...now if I could just find a floatant to keep that big SJW up on the surface

It can be done! The biggest bull trout I've ever even seen let alone hooked took my streamer which I had basically emtied a bottle of floatant onto. It was a huge 8 inch long lefty's deceiver (unweighted, thank god) and a bull was seen to eat a dead fish off the top just prior. I had two chances at the fish and second try I hooked it. It was probably the closest thing I've seen to 40 inches of trout - in alberta. Never did land it but my buddy (who's tagged bulls and studied 'em) thinks it was near or better than 40.

So come on Greg. You only need to fish on the surface, for alberta's biggest trout... oh almost forgot to mention, one fly only! Left handed casting only, from downstream quartering across, the tobacco pipe MUST be out the RIGHT side of your mouth.... no exceptions.

How do you know headscan is a man?

Anyway - go ahead and justify your chumming approach if you must, but part of fly fishing is tradition, and tradition is one fly. I won't insult you because of your views, no matter how wrong they are. Thats just the reasonable type of man I am.

The best advice my father ever gave me: Never chum for fish just to catch fish!

Actually, I have an original copy of "The Fisherman's Vade Mecum" by G.W. Maunsell sitting right in front of me. It has an extensive section on fly-fishing. The book was originally published in 1933 in England from notes of various fishermen (as far as I understand) and it speaks in some detail about using more than one fly. If I remember correctly it actually suggests it is a great way to catch fish. So if anglers in England were using this technique in 1933 it could easily date back some time.

Nothing we do is really unique or ingenious. It's all been thought of before our time...sometimes long before our time.

Actually, I have an original copy of "The Fisherman's Vade Mecum" by G.W. Maunsell sitting right in front of me. It has an extensive section on fly-fishing. The book was originally published in 1933 in England from notes of various fishermen (as far as I understand) and it speaks in some detail about using more than one fly. If I remember correctly it actually suggests it is a great way to catch fish. So if anglers in England were using this technique in 1933 it could easily date back some time.

Nothing we do is really unique or ingenious. It's all been thought of before our time...sometimes long before our time.

I suspect the facts have little to with what people have constructed in thier minds as the traditions of the good old days...

I too have seen the light and always catch millions of fish with only one fly. I find the trick is to spray it with some WD40 first to reduce hook squeak. :devil:

Mark,

Here is a single fly set up that is fool proof.

1 - treble hook.

just rip the hook whenever and hold on........

Btw, I was out the other night and I had my line out when I look up and there is mr good old bever right infront of my line. No time to pull it out so I drop my rod tip and hope I can sink the line a bit, no good I felt it catch and off he goes, all I could do is point my tip at the bever and rip and break off.

Next day same *hit happens, but this time I was able to get my line out of the way. I think same bever as I was at the same spot.

LOL

I have only been a member on this board a few weeks but here is what I notice. There is thug mentality against anyone who has an opinion that is different from the view of a core group on here and reading this thread it is clear who they are.

This could have to do with the way that orvis presented his first statement. He could have been less blunt. But he did not ever threaten physical abuse like some of the replies did. I also did not read any of his posts where he suggested anything about dry vs wet or any other things other than you should use one fly. Many people do believe that fly fishing should be done with one fly but maybe not as many in Alberta. If you have been around the sport for awhile you will know there has been debate on this issue and many others. to the fellow that talked about the book in england in the 1930s I think that probably wasnt a view shared by all or even most of the fly fishermen of the day.

I use one fly. But I think that anyone that uses more than one is still a real fly fisherpeople and i respect peoples opinions as long as they don't get abusive or mean spiritied. I don't much imagine i would have much in common with orvisonly and i don't think i would want to fish with him but i might choose him over some others on here. We all form opinions and sterotypes. For instance I read one persons posts on here and I think he must be an american. But assuming things and mocking someone about it as a group is what bullies do and that is what I seen on here. i don't expect i'll read or post much on here after this.

If you come to BC make sure you only use one fly.

And not that is makes any difference but after my earlier question I looked up the rules for the world flyfishing championship and it is one wet or dry fly at a time and no strike indicators.

If I walked into a biker bar and yelled out "Tattoo's are for gays", could you classifiy the response I would get as being picked on by a bunch of bullies?

edit: Lets assume biker aren't bullies. I'm not suggesting there are a bunch of bullies here. Maybe I should have picked a better anology

Very good post and point. Welcome to the board.

I have only been a member on this board a few weeks but here is what I notice. There is thug mentality against anyone who has an opinion that is different from the view of a core group on here and reading this thread it is clear who they are.

This could have to do with the way that orvis presented his first statement. He could have been less blunt. But he did not ever threaten physical abuse like some of the replies did. I also did not read any of his posts where he suggested anything about dry vs wet or any other things other than you should use one fly. Many people do believe that fly fishing should be done with one fly but maybe not as many in Alberta. If you have been around the sport for awhile you will know there has been debate on this issue and many others. to the fellow that talked about the book in england in the 1930s I think that probably wasnt a view shared by all or even most of the fly fishermen of the day.

I use one fly. But I think that anyone that uses more than one is still a real fly fisherpeople and i respect peoples opinions as long as they don't get abusive or mean spiritied. I don't much imagine i would have much in common with orvisonly and i don't think i would want to fish with him but i might choose him over some others on here. We all form opinions and sterotypes. For instance I read one persons posts on here and I think he must be an american. But assuming things and mocking someone about it as a group is what bullies do and that is what I seen on here. i don't expect i'll read or post much on here after this.

If you come to BC make sure you only use one fly.

And not that is makes any difference but after my earlier question I looked up the rules for the world flyfishing championship and it is one wet or dry fly at a time and no strike indicators.

This could have to do with the way that orvis presented his first statement. He could have been less blunt.

been on board for a year and become a more active reader & poster in the last few months...gotta say that there's some tremendously good info posted here by a knowledgeable group, awesome to read others opinions and thoughts and see the diversity within the local/extended community. i have started to share my opinion occasionally here and so far no one has set the dogs upon me. yes occasionally [like so many other forums of this type] a thread with polarized opinions can get a little ugly [but it's also highly entertaining!].

i read that post and was not surprised by the overwhelming negative response it got. not defending some of the comments at all, but go figure that one hit a nerve. no matter where you are, if you go out on a limb and make some grand statement one way or the other, someone is gonna try to knock you down a peg or 2.

much to be said about how you present that differing opinion, esp. in a forum setting like this.

pass the cake.