Fly Fusion Forums

Cuba Si!

dryfly

adc and I fished with four others in Cuba for a few days. I had a bugger of a time with the bonefish--caught a few--but adc cleaned up one the bones. I fished for tarpon three times....first day in the river and managed one small one...on day #2 I fished in the chuck and managed a ~10 pounder in some mangroves...jumped five times. They are spectacular leapers. On Saturday adc and I attended the river once more. He ended up fishing for rollers in a small side chanel...he caught 'em on dries--poppers. (He can tell you about it.) I missed four in a row and hooked a 4-foot pig that I managed to break off! Grrr...operator error. Ain't hard.

Finally hooked this "baby" tarpon that taped at 43 inches and was between 25 and 30 pounds--small by tarpon standards. But by my standards it was just fine. I wanted to catch a decent tarpon on this trip and I could not have asked for more. Sweet. Makes me happy ... except that I could deplete my life's savings chasing tarpon and die in poverty. :lol::D

tarpon0723-700.jpg

adc and I fished with four others in Cuba for a few days. I had a bugger of a time with the bonefish--caught a few--but adc cleaned up one the bones. I fished for tarpon three times....first day in the river and managed one small one...on day #2 I fished in the chuck and managed a ~10 pounder in some mangroves...jumped five times. They are spectacular leapers. On Saturday adc and I attended the river once more. He ended up fishing for rollers in a small side chanel...he caught 'em on dries--poppers. (He can tell you about it.) I missed four in a row and hooked a 4-foot pig that I managed to break off! Grrr...operator error. Ain't hard.

Finally hooked this "baby" tarpon that taped at 43 inches and was between 25 and 30 pounds--small by tarpon standards. But by my standards it was just fine. I wanted to catch a decent tarpon on this trip and I could not have asked for more. Sweet. Makes me happy ... except that I could deplete my life's savings chasing tarpon and die in poverty. :lol::D

tarpon0723-700.jpg

Way to go! Nice fish and I'm jealous as hell!!

P

Thanks. I was most pleased. We fished the Rio Hatiguanico:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6373441

I was using a 10-wt Dan Craft and it was a chore to move this fish which took 32 minutes from hookup to landing. It made one long run and then came in and dogged and sounded for minutes on end. It would come close and run out 30 feet and then dive down and dog it. At times I could not budge the beast and am having trouble imagining moving a 80-pound tarpon with the 10-wt. Just amazing. I need to try this again.

Guest bigbadbrent

I was using a 10-wt Dan Craft and it was a chore to move this fish which took 32 minutes from hookup to landing. It made one long run and then came in and dogged and sounded for minutes on end. It would come close and run out 30 feet and then dive down and dog it. At times I could not budge the beast and am having trouble imagining moving a 80-pound tarpon with the 10-wt. Just amazing. I need to try this again.

think of a 120+ lb tarpon on a 12 weight..

tarponworldrecord.jpg

how bout that thing..wow

Piss poor fish handling, looks like a barbed hook and the other photo I bet is of the fish on the ice. Wow was it a jet boat that got you out there? how's the global warming in that part of the world? :blink::lol:

Sweet fish Clive congrats and I can't wait for your trip photo's

you finally caught some of the elusive tarpon eh Clive. Good on ya!

You'll be glad to hear that the ice is already deteriorating down south here really fast and you'll easily be able to catch a pike that could grapple that tarpon into the mud soon! Hope the trip is good to ya and we'll have to get out pikin' Definitely jealous of the trophy (at least by my standards)! And let Al have the small baitfish :P

p.s. you must have done some fake and bake before you left, cause you look half mexican in that photo...lol,

Nice little tarpon, Clive. They are a blast to catch and hopefully I can hook in to one when I get down to Florida in May. It's been a couple years and I can't wait!!

James