Fly Fusion Forums

Cuba Si!

dryfly

Just awesome Clive!

Gotta tell a very quick story.

There used to be (back in the 60s) millions of Tarpon in Galveston bay in the fall. Spawning I think. Dad said no one really fished for them because you couldn't eat them. But he said the first time he hooked one he didn't care if you could eat them or not. First really big one, 200lb class fish, he hooked ran straight behind the boat, or so they thought. The first jump was perpendicular to the boat, 80 yds out. The fish was running so fast that the line was essentially a big parabola in the water. Anyway, he ended up loosing him when the fish ran under a bridge and the line hit a piling and cut off. Did I mention that this was after two hours? That had to suck.

Haven't been tarpon in any number in Texas in years, though they are starting to make a small comeback. Water got too polluted. But it is coming back. Maybe I'll take you boys down for a trout and redfish run in the fall, and we'll see if we can jump us some of those big scaly suckers. Maybe some big sharks just for fun.

I'd go to Cuba, but I can't. Drats.