Fly Fusion Forums

Wading Staff ?

I had knee surgery last year just a minor surgery but my knee does not work as well bending and walking around the rocks.My question is what's the best bang for buck do you get a collapsible or just a old ski pole or a hiking pole.Is it worth carrying it around with you or is it just easier to struggle a little bit. Just looking for thoughts and opinions thanks everybody.

I carry a collapsible wading staff at all times. It collapses and slips into a holster that hangs from my wading belt. It is out of the way and often doesn't get used, but when I do need it, it is right there. I have a few companions who go with the "If I need one, I'll just grab a stick off the shoreline" philosophy. The big problem is, when you discover you need one, you are often in the middle of the stream and the shore, and the "wading stick" you need are at some, often treacherous, distance from you. A non-collapsing staff ties up one hand and tends to get in the way in a number of other ways.

As I get older, I find that I use it more and more, not only in the water, but often on trails and when scrambling over riprap, etc. Get one, it is a small price to pay for an increase in enjoyment of our passion.

This is the one I have: http://www.cabelas.com/product/collapsible-wading-staff/727494.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwading%252Bstaff%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=wading+staff

• Like 2

I purchased the wading staff above from Cabela's (USA) 8 years ago. Best purchase ever!! the shock cord inside finally wore out and I purchased a similar one at Bass Pro near Calgary a few years ago. It collapses to a somewhat smaller size than the "name" brands and fits easily on my belt. I use it all the time and it makes wading so much easier. It's great on freestone streams but it does get stuck in softer mud/dirt and can pull apart. The carrying pouch is made of pretty thin material. My friend has the same staff and the pouch belt loop fell apart after a few years and I replaced it with a piece of nylon from an arm of an old camping chair!!

I think this staff is the best value. It does the job and is not in the way until you need it. Highly recommended.

If I could copy and paste on this site I would post the link.......

I would not wade any water without a staff. As I get older I appreciate the staffs more and more. But even as a teen I used them, I deem them as important as waders and boots.. Ski poles are a poor choice as they are too light and usually too long. You would need to cut them down to be the proper size. I have a couple of different ones, they have served me not only as steady extra leg but camera tripod, depth finder, shelter (prop for space blanket), help in climbed up and down the bank, hiking, log balance, helped extract me out of leg holding muck, and warded away several overly aggressive dogs and one nasty coyotes.

The only times I have taken a dunk is when I have not used one. Use your staff to check ahead for changes of depth or obstacles, like underwater branches or logs. For big waters I have a British made Sharpes Seaforth wading staff that is excellent for big Steelhead and Salmon faster water that is bottom weighted, its really nice on those big waters.

I have a Simms wading staff that is about 4 years old now, it comes with a holster so when you are just walking stream side or hiking to your destination on easy ground it can be collapsed and put away quickly. I would especially recommend using one if you're fishing a river that you know will require crossing.I have owned other brands that where not as well made and collapsed on me at the wrong time. There are other well made models out there.

The biggest benefit of a wading staff is that you always have that third leg. Two points are always firmly set for balance. You don’t move one foot till the other foot and the wading staff are firmly set. Wading poles are also great for testing the water level. It may be deeper than you think.

Be safe out there

• Like 1

Vitakeith,

I have two collaspseable and one ski pole units. The ski pole is the one that gets used. I fish soft bottoms streams a lot, the collapsible ones are a real pain. Similarly on freestones, jam a collapsable in the rocks and it comes apart.

If you decide on a hiking pole, make sure it is long enough. When standing, it should just fit under your arm pit. This length will allow the pole to be extended downstream at an angle. Most collaspseable poles are too short.

I learned from the BC guys a neat idea. Use a 1/4" semi soft nylon rope that has a loop in one end with the other attached to the top of the pole. The rope length is about 6' long. Make a lasso through the loop and place it over your head and under your right arm if you wish to use your right hand for the pole. This is what I do as I use my left hand to cast. The rope length should be long enough that the handle of the pole is just about crouch height. Dropping your hand and you grasp the handle. It is fast to use when you need it. While walking the pole slips along behind you rarely catching on anything.

Check used ski shops for a pole.

Don

• Like 1

Proper use of a wading staff to cross fast rivers - it can make a big difference:

Put the staff in your UPSTREAM hand. You will then be leaning your weight upstream into the staff. Should the staff slip, the river will help to hold you up. If you put the staff in the downstream hand you will be leaning in the same direction as the current and if the staff slips the combined force of the current and your weight, in the same direction, will likely result in a bath, or worse.

Using the approach above means that you need to switch which hand you use when crossing the fast stream, depending upon whether upstream is on your left or on your right. Safe wading!

• Like 4

go to a good camera shop. There was a good one down by the MEC store in Calgary and buy a good quality monopod. I bought a Manfrotto there a few years back. The leg extends by loosening push clamps. It cost less than any I have seen in fly shops and is far sturdier. You will not likely bend it under most stress levels you will encounter. In my mind without a doubt the best bang for the buck I have found

• Like 1

All jokes aside :) Ive gone in over my waders three times in the last two years. Scary *hit!! Im 47 now and still think Im young but, know theres stuff i can't do that I used to, not nearly as risky either. Crossing water is one of them. All three times I fell, a wading staff would've saved me. I know it would have. 100% gonna get one, next purchase!!!

• Like 1

I purchased the wading staff above from Cabela's (USA) 8 years ago. Best purchase ever!! the shock cord inside finally wore out and I purchased a similar one at Bass Pro near Calgary a few years ago. It collapses to a somewhat smaller size than the "name" brands and fits easily on my belt. I use it all the time and it makes wading so much easier. It's great on freestone streams but it does get stuck in softer mud/dirt and can pull apart. The carrying pouch is made of pretty thin material. My friend has the same staff and the pouch belt loop fell apart after a few years and I replaced it with a piece of nylon from an arm of an old camping chair!!

I think this staff is the best value. It does the job and is not in the way until you need it. Highly recommended.

If I could copy and paste on this site I would post the link.......

Im thinking this is a perfect reason to go check out the new cabelas store :)

It's good for camping gear etc. I found the fly fishing department disappointing. I'm not sure if they carry the above wading staff. I checked Cabelas Canada on line and they didn't carry it. Bass Pro has them for sure!!

You should check out the store tho'....lots of gear!!

I learned from the BC guys a neat idea. Use a 1/4" semi soft nylon rope that has a loop in one end with the other attached to the top of the pole. The rope length is about 6' long. Make a lasso through the loop and place it over your head and under your right arm if you wish to use your right hand for the pole. This is what I do as I use my left hand to cast. The rope length should be long enough that the handle of the pole is just about crouch height. Dropping your hand and you grasp the handle. It is fast to use when you need it. While walking the pole slips along behind you rarely catching on anything. Check used ski shops for a pole. Don

Thanks for the tip Don,

i'll give it a try.

Do you find the flyline catches the pole when it's hanging down?

any tips for this?

SeanD,

Connecting the rope off the end and removing of the hand strap just about resolves the issue. I used old Karhu ski poles. Not expensive.

I also removed the basket. If you fish very soft bottom ponds (like beaver dams)' leave the basket in place.

I looked over Kiiji - lots of cheap stuff there.

Regards,

Don

I would not wade any water without a staff. As I get older I appreciate the staffs more and more. But even as a teen I used them, I deem them as important as waders and boots.. Ski poles are a poor choice as they are too light and usually too long. You would need to cut them down to be the proper size. I have a couple of different ones, they have served me not only as steady extra leg but camera tripod, depth finder, shelter (prop for space blanket), help in climbed up and down the bank, hiking, log balance, helped extract me out of leg holding muck, and warded away several overly aggressive dogs and one nasty coyotes.

The only times I have taken a dunk is when I have not used one. Use your staff to check ahead for changes of depth or obstacles, like underwater branches or logs. For big waters I have a British made Sharpes Seaforth wading staff that is excellent for big Steelhead and Salmon faster water that is bottom weighted, its really nice on those big waters.

I have a Simms wading staff that is about 4 years old now, it comes with a holster so when you are just walking stream side or hiking to your destination on easy ground it can be collapsed and put away quickly. I would especially recommend using one if you're fishing a river that you know will require crossing.I have owned other brands that where not as well made and collapsed on me at the wrong time. There are other well made models out there.

The biggest benefit of a wading staff is that you always have that third leg. Two points are always firmly set for balance. You don’t move one foot till the other foot and the wading staff are firmly set. Wading poles are also great for testing the water level. It may be deeper than you think.

Be safe out there

I was looking at a Simms model at FishTales yesterday. They aren't cheap! Anyways I like the holster, seems like a good set up.

I was looking at a Simms model at FishTales yesterday. They aren't cheap! Anyways I like the holster, seems like a good set up.

It is a good model, there certainly are other options that have been listed by others and more than likely other models that are cheaper that are also quality, I bought mine during a clearance sale. Just look for a staff that you can put your weight on. Before the convenient collapsible staffs came out I used several ski poles cut down to the proper length (see Dons post). Don't let cost hinder safety.

I went a little on the cheap and got an Amundson last summer. I think it was only about $40, but so far seems to do the trick. I've used it a handful of times, so maybe the durability will be a little more tested this coming year. I really like that it is a folding version, compacting down to about 10" long I think. I really don't think I would like carrying around a ski pole.

The Amundson seems to be of the same ilk as the aforementioned Bass Pro and Cabelas(US) models with perhaps a better holster.

Sometimes grit can get in the ferrules and the sections stick. Just make sure they are free of grit before extending. Better to be stuck than pull apart easily I guess.

Wade safe!!

The failure of multi-section staff are:

1) each of them take time to assemble. Quick draw options they are not.

2) as the sections either stick making them tough to disassemble or come apart just when you need them make multi-sections poor choices.

3) leaving the multi together generally means it catches on most everything.

And yes, I've got them and don't use them. They are a pain in the butt.

By the way, to disassemble most of the multi unit, whack them soundly on large rocks. Kinds like you were beating the crap outta a snake. Generally that loosens the sections.

Don

been using Simms staffs for a few years. Both the Alu model and the carbon fibre. I prefer the latter. Have yet to have an issue collapsing either - when I wanted. I did have an issue with the 'locking' mechanism on my first alu model. Tried to cross Livingstone in a slightly tricky spot while tending to the dog - fast current didn't want her swept away. Damn staff wouldn't stay engaged. Each time I put any weight on it it collapsed. I did not feel safe re-crossing, so ended up having to scramble up one of the steeper cliff walls to get out. This after the flood so no wood around to use. Replaced under warranty, but I was one dusty, sweaty, angler once I crested the cliff.

Any stream which has lots of dead fall can usually provide a natural staff which can be easily discarded and replaced at next crossing. Not so much in the past couple seasons - hence I now carry staff at all times.

Stay safe.