Fly Fusion Forums

Bc Guides Losing Their Marbles

Pipes

With my recent trip there I was very curious and excited to experience what all the hype was about with the Elk. I caught a number of fish so for the most part made the day more enjoyable. Well with all the talk about how awesome the elk is and the scenery on this board, It was very disappointing. If I was to go fishing in the area again I will hit the tribs. Like others have said, there are better places to fish and a lot closer.

If you wanted to have some fun next time walk into the fly shops and ask for buzz bombs cause someone said they work great on elk. :booms:

Black Ant

• Like 2

Pipes, I can understand if you do not want your name associated with us if complaints were passed along, but I too feel this should be reported. I would also complain to the store and CO's to add to the many voices of displeasure without using your tag. Like the others a PM would be nice to save others problems, and hopefully the strength in numbers would start to curb this BS. Regards

• Like 1

Please PM me who it was to. I'll be sure not to recommend said party to anyone on this side of the trench. Most of the outfitters and guides I know are top notch and would never conduct themselves so dismally. Sorry your trip to BC went so poorly.

I'd like to know the shop's name. PM is fine. I'll be out there fishing with friends within the next month (maybe).

I also agree that you should contact the RCMP and press CRIMINAL charges against the guide who called in.

87.1 Public slander and false accusation Public slander and false accusation is the spreading of deliberately falsified information that denigrates the honour and dignity of another man or woman or undermines their reputation.
Primary Fact(s)
1. That the victim was falsely and publicly accused in a way that denigrated the honor and dignity of their reputation; and 2. That the victim materially suffered by virtue of the false claims; and 3. That evidence existed at the time of the public utterances and offence proving such allegations to be false; and 4. That the actions of the accused contributed to the false accusations; and 5. That the accused was aware at the time of the offence of the facts proving such allegations to be false and/or failed to research/validate such false allegations; and 6. That the actions of the accused were done with the intent to cause harm to the reputation of the victim.
Penalty Conditions (Level 1-Crime)
Type
Condition(s)
1-3
a) of the spoken false claim against a man or woman uttered in public, as a personal opinion by a member of the public, not in any official capacity;
4-6
a) of the published false claim against a man or woman in a public medium, as a personal opinion by a member of the public, not in any official capacity;
Penalty Conditions (Level 2-Crime)
Type
Condition(s)
1-3
a) of the spoken false claim against a man or woman uttered in public, by a man or woman holding official title/office, or working for a media organization in any capacity;
4-6
a) of the published false claim against a man or woman in a public medium, by a man or woman holding official title/office, or working for a media organization in any capacity;
  • Like 1

Ok, as i mentioned in my first post, i deliberated on sharing this experience. I have been on here awhile, on the old flyfish calgary forum, the old flyfish alberta forums years ago before it went under. I'm not a big forum guy, but contribute when i have time/ interest.

The 'silence' is due to the fact that i have been travelling and working 12-18 hour days. An internet forum is not my priority.

I have recieved somePMs. I will do my best to share the guide info.

My purpose of writing up this post was following a discussion with a good friend and he encouraged to share via social media what is happening in BC. I did so. I guess i expected the two sides to the story response and questioning whst happened was legit. I guess typing up words to screen is impossible to justify. I can only suggest looking at all my topics I have created. If you deem me as a troll so be it.

What I wrote was true. There were exactly 5 drift boats that day on the lower elk. I'm sure there is a method to find out charges laid for august 10th. Search to see them. I have the business card of one of the officers, if you have an issue with what I wrote, I will PM you his info. CALL HIM.

I am following up on the issue with how the situation was handled. Sharing this on the internet serves no one good. Not your battle to deal. I'm notbposting the fly shop because the owner has always treated me well. The actions were purely of the guide.

The situation is being addressed.

Again my point, was awareness not retribution or any other agenda. This type of action is not isolated.

• Like 3

You know, I was trying to remember where I had heard a similar story before. I think it was Dutchie or someone he knows, and it was nearly the same ordeal... guides calling in some bogus BS... but that time it was about guiding others instead of fishing or something of the nature. I sure can't wait until BC residents have to pay to fish our streams, and BC guides have to get the hell off our water completely.

• Like 6

Good choice. People have to remember that a lot of guides work freelance and are not necessarily permanently employed by fly shops. (Although if they are contracted out by a fly shop they should not be acting in any manner that may harm the reputation of the company.)

I'm notbposting the fly shop because the owner has always treated me well. The actions were purely of the guide.

I will be the first to admit the story got my pants tied in a knot, but also agree you can handle it the way you want. Had I have complained it would have got the point across in a friendly manner. If the guide works for the shop or freelance, owners may have to have some sort of agreement of do's and dont's on the water. If a person deserves being called in on, (done it myself for legit reasons), no problem, but this situation stinks. No matter, your decision must be respected. Regards

• 2 weeks later...

There is an A-Hole in every bunch, Although a shitty way to end ur day it wouldnt stop me from fishing where I want when I want. For every terrible BC experience im sure most of us can recount dozens of great ones.

The commentary about British Columbians not liking us because of oil money and ragging on BC guides for LEGALLY guiding alberta waters are some of the reasons we get tha rap over there.

Our (Alberta) regulations allow just about anybody that wants to call themselves guides to do so and be rewarded monitarily at OUR resources and Alberta guides expense. The Regulations and Licencing Fee structure in BC is not to hit Albertans in the pocket book. Its in place to ensure that a resource and resident guides are not exploited. If angling pressure increases so do revenues, that resouce will be sustained, and policed by CO's. When is the last time any of you called RAP and got a call back in under a day????Unfortunately for us Albertans our elected officials could give 2 shits about natural resources other than oil and gas.

Its really up to us to continue to lobby for significant regulation changes in Alberta. They need to happen now! For both the fisheries themselves and our Albertan Guides, whom our elected officials allow to be robbed daily by non-resident guiding.

• Like 1

I have not fished the Elk river since 1999. After the B.C. government introduced the trophy fees, it became too expensive. Sadly enough, the experience of fishing the Elk was indeed a high quality one which I got a lot of satisfaction from. Hearing these stories, I am not sure when, or if, I will fish the area again.

• 3 weeks later...

Took a little tour of Fernie a week ago at night and found 9 guide boats parked at residences around town, and didn't even hit the whole town. The last time I fished the Elk there was a drift boat approx. every 10 minutes going by from about 9AM to about 12 noon. Unbelievable.

Bjay

Like all things when there is a opportunity people do jump in. I fished the Elk Three years ago and was wading a stretch and saw a drift ahead of me beached. As I got closer shocking words where coming from the "guide" and two young lady fly fisher clients where almost in tears. Asked if was anything I could do and the Guide shook his fist at me and told me to mind my business. They shoved off and I continued my course.

That evening I went out for supper, walking through the restaurant I espied the gals and they waved me over. Wanted to ask me what was working on the water. We sat and ate together chatting and they opened up, said they where from Kamloops and had hired the so-called guide, he was not exactly kind or helpful. Said he was just there to row not chat and that they should be only fishing one way in his boat. Nymphs with lots of lead and huge indicators, they wanted to try dries also wanted to wade not just drift. Kept screaming instructions and foul language at them and browbeating to the point of tears on their part. They where both fairly new to Fly Fishing.

We met on the river the next morning, and after just a short time I had them casting reasonably well, had a great time with many fish to net. They where both super people and a joy to show the river to, fishing for the next 2 days together I supplied the flies, and suggestions, they said I was a better guide than the so-called licensed Pro. They wanted to pay me but I was not licensed in BC at that time and so declined. We still chat online and they continue in the sport.

My point is that paying a fee does not make you a good guide. And with opportunity also comes those who want to make a fast buck, some do not understand courtesy, service or the sport itself. I think the difference is often experience and temperament. Some do not work well with others and should not be in the industry. Other guides I have had the honor to know have been the best fishing partners ever. The latter are the Jems.

• Like 1

When is the last time any of you called RAP and got a call back in under a day????

I've called RAP a few times. I can't think of an instance when the callback was more than 15 minutes later. One instance the CO was there <15 minutes after the call and poachers were busted.

Hi Rick, I have called on 3 occasions and had a response within 15 min to an hour each time. Twice the CO was too far away to act on it and once, he was at Johnsons in half hour. They are so spread out, cant be everywhere. Still worth a call, as they record the info and plate # and do a search when they are suspicous.