Fly Fusion Forums

Flood Warning Your Thoughts

Just though id post here and see what others thoughts are on how this is going to effect our angling season this year,

1. Is the city jumping the gun saying its gonna be worst then 2005

2. What should we do in the mean time

3. Have you ever risked the raging flooded bow for that angling relief

I myself am hoping they jumped the gun and its not that bad, but for the areas already hit my thoughts and compassion go out to them, and hope they find the two people from turner valley who were swept away.

Some crazy stuff you guys have happening out there! My thoughts and prayers go out to those areas already severely affected. I hope things settle down quicker then expected. I cant beleive how quick things happened looking at the graphs with a dead vertical spike! Thats nuts! Take care out there guys! Be safe. I hope everyone comes out ok and hopefully things will turn quickly.

Mike

What are the thoughts on heading into Oldman through gap section? Obviously fishing is out but have some campers I am meeting..and again obviously not camping near the river

When are you going? I think you will be OK. Flows on Racehorse went from 5 cms to now 150 cms!! Only place where the river may be near the road may be on the Maycroft Rd. just before it meets the FTR. I'm heading down Sunday...should have subsided by then, Might need bug spray!!

the river needed a good flush HOWEVER not to this degree. Im very sad for all who are suffering because of this i have a friend who owns a bakery in downtown high river it is under water so sad they have put in so much of their time and life and now its under water...... How is it going to effect the fishing? its going to be a slow year followed by a couple years of some of the most EPIC fishing we have seen in a long time.

Up north working right now, my thoughts are with those south of me. I am also curious how this will affect the fishing after the flooding stops. What happened last time we had this amount of flooding in 2005?

The Oldman is flowing at almost 900, same as High River and the town there is under water.

I would think that the road through the Gap where Racehorse Creek meets Oldman will be washed out. It's not that far above the creek to start with. Maybe Racehorse Crk bridge will wash out too, then there's the little creeks/bridges like Vicary/Daisy/Dutch/Livingstone. Who knows how many might be gone.

We'll know better by about Saturday I guess.

in 05 we were hit on june 7-8th then again on the 18th.it took a month for the flows to drop below 200.i remember the fishing to be good as I had to go to different spots because police was washed out.

Rick did the berm at police hold?would be a shame to lose that again.

IMHO if you are going to attempt to go fishing south of calgary you're nuts from the videos of houses being swept away I wouldnt risk it. Every Prov Park is closed. Just not worth it. Head North if you want to fish. Ive changed my camping trip this weekend and am heading up north of red deer.

Heres the oldman dam

1%2Bmast.JPG

Drove over the RD in Sundre this afternoon coming home from RMH....KRAZY!!

Man it was raging,news crew and citizens all taking vid,then before I got to CGY heard on radio they were evacuating 2700 peeps from east Sundre....

Clearwater wasn't "as bad" but lotsa debris coming down,Prairie and some smaller creeks up that way not too bad at all,just dirty?

Just though id post here and see what others thoughts are on how this is going to effect our angling season this year,

1. Is the city jumping the gun saying its gonna be worst then 2005

2. What should we do in the mean time

3. Have you ever risked the raging flooded bow for that angling relief

I myself am hoping they jumped the gun and its not that bad, but for the areas already hit my thoughts and compassion go out to them, and hope they find the two people from turner valley who were swept away.

well I would say its way worse then 2005

Just heard flows are as much as 3x 2005. A friend of mine is at a small farm house upstream of police. He says way higher than 05. Just drove up Deerfoot. Inglewood golf course isn't just flooded, it's part of the bow. The river looks more like the Mississippi near southland. Crazy