Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Etiquette

Hello all,

I have been fly fishing for about three years now and absolutley love it. However i have a couple etiquette questions i hope some of you could help me with. The first one i have is how much distance should you give between yourself and somebody else on the river? Also, should you fish downstream from him or walk around him and fish upstream? I understand people usually work there way upstream, but had a friend who recently had a confrontation with somebody for fishing downstream from them.

Lastly, if I am fishing off of the bank of the river and a float boat comes up on me and wants to fish the same bank, do i not have the right to be there and shouldn't he go somewhere else? I had this situation last year....

Thanks for your input!

No real hard and fast rules, per se, but some generally accepted practices...

As far as distance between anglers, it really depends as people that are fishing together (i.e., if they are friends, etc.) usually fish closer together then strangers. As a general rule any where from 50 - 100 meters (but others may disagree). I have asked people (and offered) to share a particular pool/run and some people are ok with this and some are not...

Some people fish down to up, others fish up to down. Best is to ask them if they are working their way up or down and then you will know... Usually dependant on what technique they are fishing (dry, nymphing, wet/streamer, etc.).

"Usually" the people fishing from the boat give way to the wading angler - but many (not all) don't know or even care...

Lastly, there is a lot of water to fish on the Bow, so if it's looking like there is going to be a "confrontation", be the better person and move as you do not want it to ruin your day...

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will add their comments, as well.

Cheers,

P

I wont post about distance or upstream vs downstream,but I find the best thing to do is comunicate with other anglers....asking someone if they mind you fishing up or down from them is the best way to avoid any unsaid feelings.....imop

I fished the Liv one day last year and saw every color in the spectrum of ignorance from people, on the flip side I also ran into a member on this board the same day who changed my outlook on how I appoach people on the river.He came up to me, after I looked back to find him behind me ,and offered his opinion on how to fish the hole I was at and to tell me what he was having sucsess with that day.....it was a breath of fresh air and has really changed how I talk to and listen to other anglers out there doing what we all love to do.....

Sharing a run when wading can be a tough call. Uber says 50-100 meters apart. There's isn't really that many spots on the river that you can get 100 meters apart and still have decent water. The best thing to do is talk to the other guys and take it from there.

Waders definately have the right of way over boaters. That being said however, when drifting, I will fish the outside of a run if I can stay far enough away that we can't into cast each others water. I have had people get upset at me but if they can't reach it why shouldn't I fish it.

There are a couple of places on the river where We've come around a corner and a wader was so far out from shore that we actually had to go behind them to avoid going through the middle of the run.

River etiquette is a lot of common sense and first come first served.

For what it's worth

BK

Sharing a run when wading can be a tough call. Uber says 50-100 meters apart. There's isn't really that many spots on the river that you can get 100 meters apart and still have decent water. The best thing to do is talk to the other guys and take it from there.

Waders definately have the right of way over boaters. That being said however, when drifting, I will fish the outside of a run if I can stay far enough away that we can't into cast each others water. I have had people get upset at me but if they can't reach it why shouldn't I fish it.

There are a couple of places on the river where We've come around a corner and a wader was so far out from shore that we actually had to go behind them to avoid going through the middle of the run.

River etiquette is a lot of common sense and first come first served.

For what it's worth

BK

River etiquette is a lot of common sense, but alot of time different river/fish have different etiquette.Here (NS) on salmon rivers this can sometimes be a big issue.I new too fly fishing and am glad I ran into some veterns that showed me the ropes.

Different people have different standards of etiquette. Always talk to someone you hope to fish near. This will avoid most conflicts. When you approach them, though, stay away from the water and let them know you are coming as soon as you can. Spooking a hawg they have been resting will not win you any favors.

Different rivers mean different etiquette, too. I have no problem asking someone to jump in on a run in the Bow, but on a small uncrowded stream, I'd consider it poor etiquette to fish less than a day's fishing above the direction I (or someone else) was headed if there was room for them (or me) ahead. When fishing smaller streams, it is also good etiquette to put a sign on the dash of your truck to indicate which direction you went (upstream/downstream), so the second vehicle to get there doesn't have to guess (or leave).

I'd be interested to hear some stillwater etiquette.

Stillwater...It's best not to troll over the water that someone (who is anchored) is fishing. I've had the joy of someone trolling in a motor boat within 20 feet of me in my tube while I was anchored out in the middle of a lake. A few seconds later I had their mono running by my head with the lure coming quickly. I had to grab the line and throw the hook sideways before it stuck in me.

It's also polite to not park within a super long cast of someone who is anchored...unless you ask if it is OK. To have someone park right within your casting range should be open season for some sling shot action.

At Bullshead I have had guys cast lures over my head from shore while anchored in my tube. Something about sharp hooks retrieved by my air filled boat gets me excited.

Guest Sundancefisher

Also never fish with monger...

He:

a) Steals all the fish

b ) If you say out loud...look a fish rose...he paddles right past you to steal the trout

I had to start fishing in a Kayak...just to keep away from the guy.

c) He even will lift your anchor and move you against your will.

Consider this your warning... Join the no monger allowed club...sign up now before it is too late!

Let the air outta his tube when he ain't lookin', that'll keep him otherwise occupied, better yet... take a pellet gun with you and shoot holes in his tube when he tries the sabotage routine... betcha you could water ski behind him when he heads for shore

I'd be interested to hear some stillwater etiquette.

whitetail09041medium.jpg

I had a good laugh when i saw this.They pulled up right beside this kid dropped anchor and flung out a couple buzz bombs.They didn't say a word.The kid pulled anchor and left.

I had a good laugh when i saw this.They pulled up right beside this kid dropped anchor and flung out a couple buzz bombs.They didn't say a word.The kid pulled anchor and left.

I hope he "left" by motoring over their lines on the way...

Here's a good example of what to do, and what NOT to do --> http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?...p;hl=tweedledum

I went to the Crow on March 12 and since it was a Friday I thought it might be busy but not crazy. Well I got to the Burmis parking area and I was the only one there :D

As I was about to hit the trail a couple pulls up and starts gearing up and the guy asks me "what way are you going?" I told him I was heading upstream then he said "Great so are we maybe we will bump into you later" facepalm.gif

If it was the other way around and I was there second and was told that they were going upstream I would have went down stream.

I'm gonna get torched for this, but, how do guy figure you deserve to have a whole stream (one way)to yourself, even if you were first there. Sure If i was the second guy there and you were going up I would go the other way, but what about the next guy. At the very least a leap frog system would be the best you could hope for, or you give the run you're fishing to the new guy and head up or down stream.

Depends on the size of the stream, and difficulty to get to. The smaller/harder it is, the more I am liable to be devastated if I see another vehicle. Because I would probably leave.

I made a long drive with Taco to some small water last summer. We got there and there was a camp set up. Panic started to set in. Fortunately, 2 of the people were at the camp and said everyone was fishing downstream and upstream was open (or the other way around, can't remember). Don't know what we would have done if they hadn't been there, maybe guessed and hoped. But we might have just left. Some of the places, run hopping just won't work due to cover, bank type, etc. Sucks sometimes, but it's part of the deal if you fish semi-remote.

I'm gonna get torched for this, but, how do guy figure you deserve to have a whole stream (one way)to yourself, even if you were first there. Sure If i was the second guy there and you were going up I would go the other way, but what about the next guy. At the very least a leap frog system would be the best you could hope for, or you give the run you're fishing to the new guy and head up or down stream.

I don't deserve the whole stream and I never expect it but why would you want to follow another angler when the other option is to hit the other section and have that to yourself?

I don't deserve the whole stream and I never expect it but why would you want to follow another angler when the other option is to hit the other section and have that to yourself?

They knew you had cake............................I didn't mean you = BBT, althou it does seem that way rereading the b2b post.

Someone told me on the busier rivers in the US considerate anglers put a note in their windsheild that simply says "Gone upstream" or "Gone downstream" I tried that once on the Crow and I guess nobody looked at my truck and read the note because three groups of fishermen walked past where we were fishing. Though we continued up and didn't run into anyone.

That's the idea. If you don't get there first, you leave or you take a walk PAST where the person ahead of plans to fish. It is not something someone deserves, it is common courtesy and etiquette.

126barnes- I'm talking small jump across-streams that don't see a lot of anglers, or hold very spooky trout. These streams can't be shared very well, unless you sit while your buddy fishes a pool, and visa versa. Plus, a lot of people go to these streams specifically to have some time to themselves.

For Rivers like the Bow, Oldman, Liv, and even the Crow, this rule is clearly not feasible. Too many anglers to avoid sharing, and no real need to have water to yourself.

Man am I ever glad that I live up here in the middle of nowhere. In 5 seasons of fishing Grande Cache I have only ever run into other anglers on sections of river that I fish twice (one of the occasions it turned out to be two very good friends of mine). I have never really had to worry about river etiquette out here. Then again I also have never had to worry about access as it is all crown land in this neck of the woods.

So much of this is perspective. I had a trip last winter on the Crow, where we arrived at Burmis and decided to head upstream (where almost everyone goes in the winter)...couple other cars there, so we knew we would be seeing people. There was a group there rigging up when we arrived, did the whole "how's it going" thing, but found them not too interested in talking...that's fine. The funny thing was though, as you could see them get quiet, and move a lot faster when they saw we were flyfishing too.

We took our time and found the first run above the bridge open when we got there. Fished for a while, and then started moveing upstream. We finally ran into them a couple runs up, and the moment they saw us, you could see them reeling in and running upstream to beat us to the next pool. We just laughed and fished the pool they left. This actually happend a few more times that day, and it never really bothered us, but I'm betting it did them. We joked hopeing to see them around the next corner, so we could see their reaction. My buddy actually wanted to jump 3 or 4 runs ahead of them (which is totally fine etiquette in my books), but decided to just let it be.

Was actually expecting to come on here the day after and see someone post a report about lack of etiquette from our group, and how we kept trying to poach their water even though they were there first. It's all about perspective.

Sometimes we just need to relax, and put yourself in the other person's shoes. Just because you're heading up or down stream doesn't mean that you get first dibs. Sometimes people take 'etiquette' too far.

One time I drove way down south to a cutty stream in the middle of nowhere, as far as my little 4x would take me. I was on a solo fishing trip for a few days.

But, sure enough, as soon as I get started fishing I see two anglers coming up from behind me, fast. In the middle of nowhere. These to guys had the NERVE to insist on pool hopping with me upstream in MY water! Then, they had the NERVE to feed me barbecue back at their truck, invite me to camp with them, insist I drink all their scotch, and insist I fish with them the next day. My solo fishing trip was completely ruined.

As I tell my toddler several times a day, "it is more fun to share." You'll find plenty of guys out there who never learned that lesson, and a lot of this etiquette stuff is to avoid pissing them off.