Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying?

headscan

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My goal for the summer is to catch a walleye on the fly!! Plus get lots of Pike while hunting for the walleye :) Getting ready with some perchy clousers and bunny bugs

perchflies.JPG

bunnybug.JPG

Those should work very well. Walleye and Sauger in the rivers will gobble those up. Consider tying a few in orange as well.

Guest JayVee

Here's my first attempt at a bully fly. This was featured in an issue of Fly Fusion:

Bullyfly1.jpg

It's a little small though, isn't it?

Bullyfly2.jpg

The first fly in the second photo looks like you have tied in the rabbit backwards. If you tie it in the other way i think it will give it a smoother look. As for size, you wanna match the size of baitfish that current available in the stream. Sometimes something bigger will entice a chow session.

Guest JayVee

Yes I think I see what you're saying there. The rabbit fur has a "grain" to it.

The first fly in the second photo looks like you have tied in the rabbit backwards. If you tie it in the other way i think it will give it a smoother look. As for size, you wanna match the size of baitfish that current available in the stream. Sometimes something bigger will entice a chow session.

Yes I think I see what you're saying there. The rabbit fur has a "grain" to it.

you also should note that not only is there 'zonker' cut styles but 'cross-cut' as well, plus various thickness of the hide you are buying..

..the easiest way of applying the rabbit, is to lick Ur fingers first to lay back the fur, making it easier to see the grain and to tie it in place.

Streamers. I am going to try tying up some poppers this week and see how they turn out. Found some foam marshmellows and I just have to cut them down and try them out. I think these will work good for pike. Perch looking streamers seem to work well even in lakes that have no perch population.

post-1098-1302586171.jpg