Fly Fusion Forums

Bangers Or Spray

Always used to stress about bears, especially when fishing alone. Id be singing and yellin every once in a while or would stop and get that feeling that for sure something was watching me. Its a good idea to have a spray or banger but ive always been a little skeptical because if that bear really wants ya, your done. My real fright came one day on the highwood after fishing a few spots and heading back up to the car and seeing my muddy boot tracks and cat paws heading in the same direction. :o

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what ever you decide to use, get proficient at using it. I think also the nature of what we do we tend to put our self 's in danger, being quiet, just working up the river, not really paying attention to our surroundings, just the water. I don not know what you would use a knife for though BBBrownie? I guess you could fillet yourself and season with spray, mmmm tasty treat for MR.Grizzly. I know a shottie is not the answer as well, I'll try and be kind enough to give him a warning shot first. then I'll guess I'll go down blazing guns style.

Yup exactly the same thing happened to me... Worked lilke a charm!! <--poke--<

I would caution against givin' her a test on a calm day. With no wind you will essentially be standing right in the cloud, had a buddy once who wanted to see how it worked. It was very calm, gave it a little squirt and I instantly got a little whiff and turned and ran while my buddy stood there like a fool sniffing and he most certainly got the scent. He spent the next 45 min whining about how his eyes and throat were burning.

I just carry spray, I had a yearling grizzly come at me last year as I had a real nice cutt on my line. When the bear realized I was a human he turned and beat it up the bank and was gone, before I could even reach the can on my belt. I personally believe the great majority of bears are more afraid of humans than we even know. Which is one reason the bear studies are somewhat erroneous, because some bears are so fearful that if they get even a slight indication of a human presence they are gone. They would never even come near a barbwire baited site. So I have gone through three cans of spray without having discharged one. I hope my streak continues (knock on wood).

There was a guy last year, up around Edson I think it was, that killed a sow grizz with a knife. And I think it came for him from quite a ways away. The problem with "testing" your bear spray, is that I don't think they are meant for that. They are a one use item and have around 7 to 10 seconds of spray I think it is depending on what size you get. Once you have sprayed a bit, I don't think the rest of the can will last for long. If you want to see how one works, might be better to buy two and use one for practice.

Spray and bangers serve two different purposes. I carry spray in the event of a charge, and bangers to scare them off from a distance. The spray sits in a holster that I keep on my wading belt (worn even when I'm not using waders). I also bought an air horn that I carry when out by myself. It can be recharged with a simple bike pump and I think it works as good or better than yelling every couple of minutes. I've also considered getting a gun, but not sure what to get.

I carry an airhorn on a holster on my wading belt. I bought a water bottle bag/holder at MEC that attaches to my belt and holds it perfectly. Once while I was in the back of my truck (I have a topper) I accidentally knelt on my horn and it went off. Scared the *hit outta me. It makes a pretty load sound in an enclosed space!!! I am contemplating buying spray this year though.

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail....D=1239401509746

Guest rickleblanc

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service published the findings from a report semi-recently. If you Google "bear spray vs guns" you shouldn't have any trouble finding it. Very comprehensive, and it cites other similar independent studies. Fact is, people who used firearms to defend themselves from bears were injured or killed 50% of the time(some studies found it to be 40%). Someone already pointed out that with bear spray people suffered minor injuries like 3% of the time. That's easy Math!

BTW, you're not meant to quick-draw the spray like a gunfighter. It's an area effect, you just shoot from the hip, which is helpful, since the average bear attack gives you about three seconds to react. Do you really think that when that bear comes crashing out of the bushes you'll be able to get at the gun and use it?

Oh yeah, that bear up by Edson last year? It soon came out that the bear had a two-to-three day old gunshot wound, and Davy Crockett's going up on charges. So I heard.

Rick

Ya Taco we fish the same country, Have heard of overshooting and putting the bear in your lap. But still i tested it and its 20 seconds quicker to grab the launcher. If your pullin out the spray the bears within shittin distance oh wait i see they have the glow in the dark triggers know. Taco are ya headin to BH.

You can get a strap at MEC that carries the spray right on your chest. You can cast no problem and it's right there. The studies show that the spray works (even better than a gun even).

Actually the most effective method I have found in camp is banging posts and pans. Always works, my Mom routed a big sow grizzly in her tracks and sent her skittering. Air horn sounds like a good idea. I actually never carry anything with me. 12 gauge in camp.

I carry spray and a S&W .41 mag, 250 grain as back up. This is with the intention of using the spray first. Only do this when fishing in grizzly country. I hope to never find out if I am prepared or quick enough. It is always great to see mother nature's creatures in the wild but sometimes it is better off to see them with powerful binoculars.

#1 Be alert! Take time to look around at more than just the water.

Bear spray for the unlikely chance of a charge..

Bear bang if you have a bear following you or stocking you on the trail..

Air horn also sounds like a great idea to me!

Ok here it goes. Ive been carrying bear spray for the last few years. i have switched over to the centerfire pen. Includes bangers and flares of two colors. I can get this out of my pocket and launch in 10 seconds-good for 150ft. The spray costs more , has a 20 ft spray and by the time you unholster ,pop the cap its too late . No expiry date on the pen.Spray has 3 years. Whats does everyone else carry to the deep criks. Both cost the same.

I carry both. Have never had to use either while fishing, but have used the banger many times while cycling the Highwood Pass. In all but one situation the banger did what it was supposed to, always far enough away that overshooting was not a problem, but I can see that it would be on a stream at closer quarters. On the one other occasion the bear bolted out of sight, so we thought it was gone, but in fact it just moved about 10 feet out of sight behind a tree and went back to grazing the dandelions.

I am thinking an air horn would also be a good addition to the pack or vest.

what ever you decide to use, get proficient at using it. I think also the nature of what we do we tend to put our self 's in danger, being quiet, just working up the river, not really paying attention to our surroundings, just the water. I don not know what you would use a knife for though BBBrownie? I guess you could fillet yourself and season with spray, mmmm tasty treat for MR.Grizzly. I know a shottie is not the answer as well, I'll try and be kind enough to give him a warning shot first. then I'll guess I'll go down blazing guns style.

You got er man! If the bear is gonna eat me, I might as well taste good. Pepper steak.

I remember this debate (its a very worthy one to discuss) from the other board years back; Kyle McNeilly raised the point that gun-toters are nearly useless because most of us in that situation are just as likely to blow a hole in the nearest spruce tree than a correctly and accurately placed shot. Notwithstanding the few - probably very few - of you on this board that would actually be a good shot in that crap-your-pants scenario.

When I used to take students out, I made sure everyone carried spray. By the way, cans are not a one-shot deal. I always had a "sacraficial lamb" can (the 'oldest' one I had); it made good for several demonstrations (the kids felt better seeing a demo and how it works.). Of course, that was the demo can only and was never carried in the field.

By the way, when you're on the trail, and not near water, walking to and from spots, and you're in bear country, why have the can holstered? You could always carry it in your hand (with the safety still on), and at least it saves you the time from trying to "quick draw" it. That's the way I do it sometimes; one hand carrying the rod, the other the bear spray.

Also, I don't shoot from the hip; full arms length out is the way to go.

One compromise I have reached if I feel fairly safe and don't actually want to carry the spray can in my hand is I have a waist belt that I have lengthened, and I wear it bandolier style diagonally across my chest. My water, my Mora knife, and the bear spray, are all within easy reach (no need for fully loaded fly vest in the high altitude streams, right).

Lastly, I remember talking to a campers village rep, and he said the expiration dates on the cans are just a way of the manufacturer cover themselves, and were rather bogus. Indeed that is correct, in the senses I still have a half used demo can from 7 years back that still sprays. BUT! I do err on the side of caution and buy fresh cans every two years at most.

In my opinion, totally comical in the end to debate the cost versus the method though. Find the method that is legal and makes you feel safe; isn't cost pretty irrelevant when it comes to protecting your life??? My God, we dump hundreds to thousands of dollars on equipment and gas, surely no one would split hairs over cost to live another day? ;)

Smitty

I'll ask my buddy if he has the video still, but I have a friend that works in remote fire watch towers, and he had a vedio that they showed at his training where some spreyed a bear with bear sprey and all the bear did was lick at the air then charged the guy.

What was suggested to me was first do not by bear spey that does not contain some sort of pepper sprey.

Second, replace the container every year, the 3 years life of it is stored at right temps which we carring bear sprey in hot weather is no good

Third, Watch out for game trails in areas knowen for bears as this is a likely spot for bears.

My buddy said bears are less likely to attack unless hungry, rabit, or protecting it young, or of course prevoked, he topld me you are more likely to be attacked by a cat then a bear.

I think this discussion was on the old board too...and a couple of guys told about spray blowing up in hot cars. DO NOT leave your bear spray in a hot car. It can ruin the interior, plus possibly cause you to drive off of the road.

Ok got it figured now. Bear spray, Bangers, Air horn and a sawed off 12 gu. Opps got one of those whistles that attaches under my chin on my hat strap. So if ya see me on the riva PLEASE dont laugh at the whistle . Its great to hear everybodys opinion on this. Just hope everyone has a safe year and dont have to use any of it.

Brent

I carry spray, but I do have a problem with that study. I would bet that most of those bears have never encountered a human before, same goes for being in a remote heli-accessed area, so bears probably take off just at the sight of humans. What about bears in the park or in Kananaskis who've seen lots of humans and aren't easily deterred? My dad has some bangers, whistlers and flares. He shot one off last fall on our way home from a trip, it was dusk and the thing whistled and sparked out and then banged at the end. I would think the whole production would be enough to scare something off, but I see the possibility of spooking something toward you. I also think that there's also a few different directions the bear could take off....bang behind, not sure about what's standing in front of him/her and they take off right or left. If the banger on goes off behind the animal, it's not like they're going to necessarily put two and two together that you were the one that shot off the banger and attack you because of it, the only thing I could see happening is you getting stampeded if there was no where else for the bear to go. I'm pretty worried about bear attacks (or cougars for that matter), but I think my biggest worry is getting caught between a Sow and her cubs, that spells trouble right out of the gate! BTW, I think I'm going to get a horn too, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I seem to remember someone on FFA that told a story about a big ol griz coming up beside him, sniffing him up and down and then moving on...and the dude wet his pants (as would I!!)

last summer i carried a pen banger never even saw a bear. the winter i came across this video on you tube it gave me alot mor respect for them. i think iam going to grab a few cans of spray soon here. bear attack video

This video sums it up. When a bear charges you won't have time for anything. The only thing that saved their bacon in the video is spotting the cubs first, gave the guide time to draw his pistol.