Fly Fusion Forums

2009 Plans

reevesr1

I'm sitting here this chilly Saturday morning watching fishing shows (including Jay's new one which was the best of the bunch). The shows included fishing for redfish in shallow water flats which immediately gets me homesick, lake fishing in the Cypress Hills which makes me long for ice off and long drives to Bullshead, and Jay and crew fishing for Bulltrout, which makes me long for July!

The whole thing got me to start the preliminary planning of my 2009 fishing trips. As always, I'm sure I'll mentally build them up levels of expectation that are unrealistic, and often they will exceed those expectations in ways I will not be able to anticipate.

So, here is my plan-subject to change:

As always, fish the crap out of the Bow at every opportunity, SW streams on the weekends

Spend a weekend with a buddy in Medicine Hat and spend a couple of days fishing bullshead in May

Trip home to Texas in July, rent a beach house and hopefully catch my first saltwater trout on some sort of topwater fly

Camping trip to Mt. Kidd and Livingstone Falls (or Racehorse) for a week in August with the family. Highwood/Livingstone/Oldman and countless little creeks beware

Spend a day watching Taco school me in the fine art of small water cutties

Trips to the Condo in Pano in July and September for some cuttie and bull trout action. Might even fish some lakes in the area this time.

Anyway, I'm sure some trips will not be made, and others will pop up. As always, the anticipation is killing me, but that is a big part of the fun!

I would love to hear other peoples plans. Too damn cold to fish today, for me anyway. Might as well talk about it!

I am going to fish the shizit out of the foothills NW of Clagary again this year, focus on the highwood a lot more, leave the bow to those who want to contract a new STD. Fish the high mountian lakes, Rawson, Rainy Ridge, Mud... ect. Take a few trips to BC to fish Dragon, some big brookie lakes and Chum/Sturgeon in oct.

A few of us got together and did our 2009 fishing draft, everyone had 3 pics and we planned our year around beers and pics of the warmer weather.

Looking forward to travels this year.

Sanibel island for reds, snook, and sea trout in easter. In june im gonna go to parkland Manitoba and do a camping trip sheedy and finally chase tigers and those big parkland trout i have heard so much about . Gonna spend some time on our spring creeks shaping up for youths.

The off to the czech to east bohemia to fish for euro grayling, browns and bows. Then hopefully make a pit stop in on the eastcoast enroute back to calgary, for a couple days on the mighty Marimachi chasing silver.

In august plans are to have my close friend and teammate mikey come out after the czech to do euro nymphing clinics with me around the province and into BC.

Then we'll see were i get accepted as to what the fall will bring for angling adventures.

Looking forward to this season just as much at the last!!!

Oh man, talk about dreaming, but here I go:

-Many days on Bullshead with buddies and daughters

-Some 'other' lakes in the Cypress Hills

-Few days on lakes in Kamloops area

-Bull trout from the Lower K in Spring

-Flowing water in SW AB, and SE BC (had 10 classified licenses last year on three different trips...can get a little pricey...hopefully less this year :))

-Annual Golden Trout trip

-Few days on some lakes in the Parkland regions of MB

-Canadian Fly Fishing Championships for the first time

-BC Steelhead in April

Lots to do, but the good thing is, I know I'll get most of this done (what a wonderful job and family I have ;))

Great time of year for thoughts and planning like this..

Continue to ease the winter blues with trips down to the bow till spring run off.

Chronomid lake fishing in the spring Alberta and the Kootenays.

Many, Many floats on the Bow

Bulls on the Wig

Spend some great dry fly days on the Crow, Livingston, Oldman, Highwood....some other small creeks to investigate.

Getting into August I have a few Alpine lakes I have not visited for some time.

Heading to Van Island in mid August via Seattle. 2 weeks of fishing and exploration, still have to plan that one, another thread to follow.

Then there is fall which this year had me fishing the Bow almost solid till Dec 15, awesome..what a river...

Huge :) just thinking about the season to come!!

Guest girlsfishtoo

Get out fishing more often than last year, explore some new waters, enjoy what nature has to offer, improve my casting, and lastly enjoy another year of fishing! :catch:

Right now I'd be happy if I could stand for 15 minutes, let alone fish. so my goal for 2009 is to be fishing without pain by april.. so I can make my annual april birthday trip to the crow :)

After that... I can't wait to fish steel this fall with Max. I'll bring the camera, he'll bring the tonsils. :clapping::kingswim:

Many trips to the bow and bull's.

explore the livingston, and Oldman... never been!

Take the annual USA trip to montana and Idaho

Try and gather a few brave souls to hike and fish Fortress lake

Catch a few browns in the North Raven

explore the Ram river and try and land some cutties

Great Topic!

Seeing as I am stuck in Sweden for this year instead of Calgary Ill have to make due with Scandanavia´s beautiful fishing! The season starts on March 31st here with some fantastic highland "eastern slope" like streams full of wild browns. Along with that there is some of the best sea trout fishing along the west coast here where I am living, I really want to get out for that, never fished for Sea Trout before. They also got some monstorous pike here that live in what they call "brackish" water, half salt, half freshwater, and they grow freaking ginormous....would love to take one on a mouse pattern or something crazy like that. And of course we cant forget about some amazing atlantic salmon fishing here as well, its going to be a busy spring and summer for me I think!

This summer I have a week road trip planned up to the far north of Sweden into the "Lappland" they call it to chase some Char and untouched stocks of wild browns. Should be fun!

In September its back to Calgary for a month and hopefully a chance to take part in the Canadian Nationals if someone has an opening on a team or needs one more? Let me know! Just in Canada for the month of September but I really want to get out to my one true love, the Highwood, the Bow of course and while in BC after some steelies.

After September probably down to Mexico / Central America for a month or two chasing some Roosters.

Oh man my feet are getting itchy now, why cant the season start now!

Tim, which week you going for Goldens?

Don't break any rods on those "other" lakes :psssst:

Been going for goldens in mid july the last couple of years, few days after the opening.

Haven't busted any rods yet, but do get the odd sore arm (especially if you happen to foul hook one on the dropper)

crush kill destroy...... leave the cuttties alone fish more browns and bows.. do teh bully dealio of corse and chase more pike! steelies in a month then again in teh fall! hike into a few lakes ive bin meaning too for a few years now and chase lakers on teh fly..... and hit the bow as much as possible!

Hit the bow on weekdays

1. Early April weekend on the Crow.

2. A may trip to bullshead with Steve

3. june trip to the little red and Fallen Timber

4. july trips to oldman/livinston/highwood on FTR

5. last week July first week August in ontario Small mouth on the grand river around Brantford,

Browns in Elora And large mouth and gar in the Bay of Quinte.

6. end of august weekend on the Ram,

7. sept extend a weekend to 4 days and hit the FTR around the oldman just exploring Water I have not hit

8. Late October last trip to the FTR

then as many trips to the Crow as I can make before the weather gets to cold.

Get out with more Board members

I plan to get out a bunch more this year as well as get my little girls out on the water. (We'll see how patient I really am- 3 under the age of 4) Also want to get down to Montana for some fishing on the Missouri and hopefully some of the waters around there. And...... more time on some of the rivers between here and the interior of BC.........regardless of where I end up getting to go the cell phone will be as far away as humanly possible!

• 2 weeks later...

All these plans will change if I find a job. Funny how being laid off and fishing can change your attitude about life. I'm hoping to try a few places for the first time: Cowichan River at Easter, Duck Lake at the end of May, Bullshead at ice off. I should be able to do old favorites like floats on the Bow. Fishing for Walleye and Jack at Pigeon Lake with Dad. Pike on fly is fun but usually get 50 walleye to one pike. I'm still hoping to catch my first Goldeye on the NSR.

The big goal 2010? is when I get the camper van restored to do a trip for grayling in the Yukon. Maybe I should try to get to the Little Smokey as a warm up.