Fly Fusion Forums

Columbia Chironomid

calguy1001

what is the body on that?

epoxy?

Nope Anti-Static bag material

I'll try to explane the recipe (my first time writing one)

Hook 12 nymph

Body Anti-Static bag material

Rib Gold wire

Thorax peacock herl

Head Tungston bead 1/8 (black)

The beads a bit small but after a few attemps I thought this size looked better.

Guest Dennis59

I've heard of using this anti static bag on several patterns, where would you get this stuff.

Thank you in advance

Nice fly I agree deadly in smaller sizes.

Tight Lines Always

Dennis S :laxfisher::fish_jump:

I've heard of using this anti static bag on several patterns, where would you get this stuff.

Thank you in advance

Nice fly I agree deadly in smaller sizes.

Tight Lines Always

I got my last batch of anti static bags from a small computer repair place down the street from where I work (any computor shop that installs memory should have em.). The bags are for shipping memory etc. I asked him to save me some discards and got 4. They go a long way. I just slice a bunch thin strips off with an exacto knife as I need them. They make for very translucent looking bodies.

Don Fresci used that on a Chironomid pattern in an episode that has run a couple of times in the last little while. I was confused as to what that anti static bag material was......He didn't show it in the original form so it left it for interpretation. I"m not a computer guy as well so didn't make the link. I've a buddy who is a computer nut....I'll be calling him shortly. Great job on the pattern....looks great!

Can I jump in here with a suggestion regarding chironomids, guys? One of the most important things about fishing chironomids(next to being in the right place in the water column) is the profile of the bug. Chironomid larvae(bloodworms) are slim, tubular shaped things, but as they become pupae, chironomids develop a pronounced tapered shape and as they rise to the surface, prior to emergence, they begin to develop their wingcase which creates an even more pronounced taper and thorax bulge.

When tying chironomid pupae patterns, build up the shank from the curve of the hook to the bead head in somewhat of a taper, with thread, prior to wrapping with underbody or body material. The taper, when complete, should cover the bottom 1/3 of the bead head.

To illustrate, this is a pattern developed for trophy trout in the BC interior stillwaters(Cariboo), by a very talented tyer and anal chironomid fisher by the name of Tom Lam. The pattern, as I said, incorporates an initial tapered wrap of thread, then a fine copper wire rib, blue dental dam rubber (or blue cellophane from Easter Egg baskets?), with an overbody of antistatic wrap.

Tom_Lams_Blue_Copper.jpg

Trust me, the tapered look works.

j

Guest Dennis59

Thanks guys I will check out a couple of the computer repair shops around here and see what I come up with.

Tight Lines Always

Can I jump in here with a suggestion regarding chironomids, guys? One of the most important things about fishing chironomids(next to being in the right place in the water column) is the profile of the bug. Chironomid larvae(bloodworms) are slim, tubular shaped things, but as they become pupae, chironomids develop a pronounced tapered shape and as they rise to the surface, prior to emergence, they begin to develop their wingcase which creates an even more pronounced taper and thorax bulge.

When tying chironomid pupae patterns, build up the shank from the curve of the hook to the bead head in somewhat of a taper, with thread, prior to wrapping with underbody or body material. The taper, when complete, should cover the bottom 1/3 of the bead head.

To illustrate, this is a pattern developed for trophy trout in the BC interior stillwaters(Cariboo), by a very talented tyer and anal chironomid fisher by the name of Tom Lam. The pattern, as I said, incorporates an initial tapered wrap of thread, then a fine copper wire rib, blue dental dam rubber (or blue cellophane from Easter Egg baskets?), with an overbody of antistatic wrap.

Trust me, the tapered look works.

j

Thanks for the input. I'll have to try that!

Jack, what hook do you use for your chironomids?

That's a C49S Mustad Caddis, and having spent some time on Mustad's pro-staff(until last August), I am really only familiar with Mustad numbers, but the hook name is not as important as the good wide gap that most caddis hooks provide. For most larvae, I use a #12 R52S and occasionally a C53S.

By the way, here in the Cariboo, there are a couple of lakes that produce a "different" strain of larvae, that usually show up immediately after a strong wind has stirred the water up and the turbulence has sucked immature larvae from their mud tubes. The trout immediately go cruising about 6" to a foot off the bottom, making an easy meal of these wiggling larvae that are trying to make their way back into the mud. Happens on shoals about 10-15' deep, with marl(white mud) bottoms. This is "the killer", size 14, note the white gills at both ends and the minor hump of a "head":

Boo_Bloodworm.jpg

That is a #14 C53S hook, nylon yarn, gold thread rib and white nylon yarn gills.

j

Thanks for your input Jack. I have been using Tiemco hooks for quite some time but am going to try some signature hooks this year. I have had some problems with nymph hooks bending open on some bigger fish.

It would be nice if we had more than a couple of marl lakes on this side of the mountains. I may have to do a road trip to your neighborhood to find some AF3Ns to play with.

Cheers, Rob

If you have an uncontrollable urge to play with really big 'bows, maybe plan around the last part of April. I know this lake see.....................

If you rattle my chain around April 1st, I can let you know when ice is coming off. The 4-5 days after ice off is pretty incredible. Nooo, it's even better than that. :) Talk Brunsie into a road trip, he knows the way.

j

Awesome insight Jack....thanks for the heads up on that "Red Wiggler" That should work really well around here in the early spring from what I've seen. I took a stab at some black and red anti statics. Once you get the hang of tying in the bag it works quite slick. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

After looking at the pics of the chronies, here's a tip

When you're tying in the anti static bag, trim the end of the strip at about 30 degrees giving your self a long point on the end. Tie it in at the back of the fly by the very tip. This keeps the body slimmer at the back. Tying the bag in along the whole length of the hook can add too much bulk.

BK