Fly Fusion Forums

Columbia Chironomid

calguy1001

"It would be nice if we had more than a couple of marl lakes on this side of the mountains."

Rob: Do Not ever pass up the opportunity to use chironomids on lakes with mud bottoms. Midges love the mud, in fact they prefer it to marl bottoms. If you are doing the early morning thing(prior to the sun hitting the water) try a #18 cream or pale grey coloured emerger:

Q_dry_midge.jpg

j

After looking at a few more patterns and listening to Brian Chan's workshop I"m thinking the gills on my antistatics need to be a little shorter. Any feedback on how others have kept them for length?

Mark

Mark, what I do is tie in a dozen or so of square cut white yarn fibres with one or two wraps of thread, then pull the fibres through the wraps, until there is about 1/8" sticking out, few more wraps, trim the running end of the fibres off and then continue on with tying in the rib, then the body. By the time you finish and whip it the gills only protrude about 1/16th".

These are larvae, but the same works for pupae:

Larvae.jpg

Bodies are: Left to right, mylar Easter Egg basket nest stuff, grey macrame`yarn, black thread rib, grey yarn, copper rib, 6mm czech seed beads. All coated with Loon Saltwater Skalze urethane finish.

j