Fly Fusion Forums

First Steelhead Trip

Gary

After decades of wanting to fish for steelhead I finally found the time this past november to get out and see what all the fuss is about. When we arrived the river we were fishing was flowing at 28 cubic metres a second and a day later was flowing at over 140 cubic metres a second. That made for interesting fishing not to mention swimming. Guess you haven't lived till you have dunked yourself in a rain swollen steehead river in the middle of November.

qc.jpg

qc1.jpg

qc2.jpg

qc3.jpg

qc4.jpg

qc5.jpg

qc6.jpg

qc7.jpg

qc8.jpg

steel.jpg

We did get some steelhead and some pretty cutts as well. Al got 3 steelhead including the 36" buck pictured. I got two, my first a 32" doe (pictured) and a 35" buck. I am officially addicted. Steelhead fishing is everything it is cracked up to be and more.

so five fish in how many days? that sixth shot is sooooo cool man

we fished 10 days. It was only supposed to be 6 but because the rivers were so blown out we stayed a little longer to fish the lower water. We also had on another 3 each with a couple of cohos thrown in.

i really like to photo of the old growth tree stump, its a great shot

Thanks. When we got to that spot the tree stump was all intact. The missing middle piece broke out while I was casting to the log and drifted away. The piece that broke out was the size of pickup truck. The tree was huge.

Thanks for all the great replies all!

Thanks. When we got to that spot the tree stump was all intact. The missing middle piece broke out while I was casting to the log and drifted away. The piece that broke out was the size of pickup truck. The tree was huge.

Thanks for all the great replies all!

Awesome photo's Gary. Looks like someone carved a leaping fish in the top of that stump years ago

• 2 weeks later...