Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again. Another weak goal in the first few minutes. Much better though, he made 4 stops before he let the first goal in. If he keeps playing this well, he may only give up 5 tonight.

You can only laugh when you see a goalie gripping the stick that tight, up by 2 with 54 seconds left. Can you imagine if they were up by one?

now - everyone will talk about how the flames played really bad and lost against SJ. They did. They gave up 3 penalties and 19 shots. But 4 goals on 19 shots is piss poor. The Bruins got outshot 18-2 in the first the other night, went into the intermission down 1-0 - And won the game. Thats what a goalie can do for a team.

Yup - that was just complete BS. That Michalek goal where Kip ate the fake hook line and sinker was gross, but it wouldn't have happened if Aucoin hadn't puked all over himself at the blueline.

I wonder if Shaw will refund my $15.95? :D

LOL - the last two PPV have been pretty serious blowouts. On the plus side, Curtis gave up only 2 goals on 26 shots (one on a 5:3). They are either going to have to show some confidence in this kid or get another back-up like last year.

On aucoin - well, nothing really new there. I thought Rhett far outplayed him in pre-season.

I take complete blame for the san jose game. I did not know it was on.... and had I not turned on my XM radio and found it, the flames would have had a good chance to win (becuase they win when I do not watch or listen). The second I turned on the game SJ scored their first two goals within a minute.

And yes.... Kipper is a frikkin siv. Time to move on.. his days in the sunshine are gone.

Finally found a way to enjoy the game. Bet my son that Kipper would let in one of the first five shots. He did not disappoint.

Thats what a goalie can do for a team. Colorado was absolutley owned for the entire game and yet they stayed in it pretty much the whole way (mind you not hard to own a team when you get 7 powerplays - weakest part of the flames game tonight). Those saves in the 3rd were sick.

It is so simple - all the Flames have to do is get every call and outshoot the other team 3:1 and they can win every time (but it will be close!)

BTW - Horcoff should get some lessons from Iginla any time

EDIT - just saw the Edmonton score. How does a team get outshot 39-19 and win 7-2? Almost like they were playing Calgary.

I've been thinking about it some more.. and talking with some of my buddies that are hardcore Flames fans.

IMO.. Back when some idiots were saying that Kipper was "the best goalie in the league", the Flames also had arguably the best defense in the league. Since then, they got rid of a few guys like Commodore, Ferrence, and Montador, while insisting on keeping Warrener.. picked up Sarich, etc. Admittedly, Kipper doesn't look as good as he did for those couple years, BUT, I think a big part of the problem is the Flames defense right now is nowhere near as good as it was then.

Thoughts?

Some bonus video for flames fans that are not oiler fans (sorry hog)

MacIntyre lays a beating on Godard's hands with his face.

I like when the big guy goes to the box and almost falls over.

And regarding our defense and Kipper - during that period (04-06/07) his save percentage was .920 - it is .888 this year. Any game where it has been .910 or better, flames have won. I don't think it is fair to say that he wasn't one of or the best goalie in that period - his numbers were great. However, in the past two years he has been getting worse, and this year is one of the poorer staring goalies in the league.

What's different with the defense was that they used to be able to tie guys up. You'll notice that (up until this year) - Mikka was very good at making the first stop, but quite often popped the rebound to the slot. in '04 the D was all over anyone there, and they seldom got a good shot. They can no longer do that. Finally - the '04 team was really not that good. They had a great run but IMO, every year the team has improved since then, including this year (Kipper excluded).

Hey ... I honestly think Kipper was better with bigger equipment and better D... becuase the shots were'nt coming from the slot, or from guys that are WIDE OPEN all the time. No goalie would have a save pct over .900 in the flames net this year.... in defense of kipper a bit I guess... I think he's having a bad season so far, but so is the flames in their own end...

I'll swallow my pride a bit and say Kipper looked pretty damn good last night. If the flames gotta win 1-0... he's gonna have to be. I'd rather the flames play a solid game and win 1-0 than be "entertained" by a high scoring game. I like defence. defence wins.

Good game. Like I said, if the Flames can keep the other team to under 20 shots and 2 good opps, they will win. When they get out-shot and win, I'll give props to kipper.

Chalk that loss up to Kipper. Seems a lot of nights (too damn many) the goalie at the other end of the rink is stopping the chances, and Kipper is not. Won't win many games that way.

I thought the Flames played well... they got let down by weak goaltending again..

Not to pile on - but once again - goal against within the first 5 shots (3rd shot tonight). Other than that, thought Kipper played well in first and second. But then 2 goals on 10 shots in the third. That fourth goal was so bad, it even took Crawford a few seconds to come up with why it wasn't the goalie's fault.

Over the years - CBC has had some brutal play play teams - but Crapford and Lee are god awful. Wasn't hard to tell where Lee is from and grew up by the way he talked about how great the home team was last night, the home team of course being Detroit. And the Crow clearly still resents the loss to Calgary in '04 that led to his getting punted from Vancouver. What a great pair to put on the broadcast for hockey night in Canada. I loved it in the third when Crawford says that Calgary just wasn't able to put any pressure on the smooth skating Detroit team - the Flames far outplayed Detroit in the third and if not for a couple of amazing saves by Conklin (on Phanuef and Langkow) flames would have been up 4-2 when Detroit scored their third goal. Even Lee couldn't stomach that comment and completely contradicted Crapford in the next sentence by saying Calgary had all the pressure on in the 3rd.

Used to be that you could turn of the CBC crap and listen to the game on the radio while watching. CBC has taken care of that by putting a major delay on the television feed. If the FAN 960 was smart, they'd introduce the same delay, and they would pick up about 20,000 listeners during every sportsnet and cbc aired game.

I was there last night, but because of a C-Train nightmare I missed the first 10 minutes (and the first goal). I thought the Flames played well in general, but they still make too many passes to no one in particular and they still insist on passing the puck up the boards despite the fact that Detroit figured it out after three times. The reffing is an absolute joke - so many bad calls and missed calls.

Watching Lidstrom and Rafalski play together is a treat. Nice to see Giordano finally pot one too.