Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

I think the fans and media have cut Kipper a tremendous amount of slack (far too much in my opinion). When a goalie gets first star he takes credit for the win and no-one has any problem saying he was the difference. They have no "Bum of the Game" award, but lets face it, Kipper would have earned it in at least 3 of the games this year. I hear all sorts of media spewing that it is team defense that is hurting, but that is bunk.

Fact it that there is a goatending statistic that is perhaps the most overlooked, but also the most indicative of how a goalie is playing. Its called save percentage. There have been 56 goalies that have played in at least one game in the NHL this Year. Mr. Kiprusoff is ranked 48th out of 56 in Save percentage. (As a side note, Brian Boucher is No 1 - LOL). Kipper was in the bottom 10 all last year. Blame team defense all you want, but this guy is playing poorly, and has played poorly for the past two seasons. People need to wake up and realize that this is professional sports, not kids kockey. He gets paid well to perform, and he is not performing. Iginla has been the best Flames player every year he has been on the team, but if he has 7 games without a goal, he gets singled out - and he has no problem with it, he responds by playing even better. Here, this guy stinks it up night in and night out, and the team takes a rap for it.

Game 1 - everyone remembers it was 6-0 for Vancouver. Anyone remember what shots on goal were? 25-23 FOR CALGARY. So far Flames have outshot opponents 147-142, but been outscored 22-14. Talk about team defence all you want but the other teams' defences are giving up more shots and their goalies are stopping >50% more of those shots than our boy. Sit him for a few games and get working on your next goaltender. Look at what the Deadmonton Doilies did - played a rookie. Flames are good enough to win even if the goalie is only average - they just can't compensate as much as they are being asked to.

I said it before - Sutter blew it. He saw what happened with Turek and then went out an did the same thing. I know what he was worried about - Kipper turns it around last year, has a great run to the cup, and then leaves as a free agent - so he buckles and gives in to a long term deal. Bad move and this team might pay for it for the next four years. Theodore, Gigere, Huet, Khabibulin, Nabakov, Turco - The only GMs that gets what it takes to have a good gosltending are - Mr. Lemaire and Mr. Gainey. Get more than one good one and keep them competeing. When one drops off, get another good one. This Backstrom guy is going to be really good.

As for Bert - we got to see the real Bert late in the 3rd when he took that bonehead penalty. Don't care how many he scores - the guy is a jerk and I can't be a fan of someone I can't respect.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good summary.. after the cup run all my friends were saying "Kipper is the best in the league.. Kipper is the best in the league".

At the time I said.. "no way, give him a few more years peforming at this level and then we'll talk about it." Well.. time has told the story. Kiprusoff is good.. but he is nowhere near as good as a Marty Brodeur - who in my opinion is the best goalie in the league, and has been for a number of years now.

Hey max what you expect out of kipper then shut out every game?

Hey never said anything about pheauf but he can't be out on the ice all the time.

Brett was also brought on as a big guy to screen the goalie and generate points on the board which he has done.

Not kickin around Iggy but everyone IMO are blamming one person when the WHOLE team isn't playin up to its par. Also Kipper stated when calgary where signing him that this would be his last contract and he would be retiring afterward (we shall see when the time comes if this is true or not)

I expect Iggy as our top snipper to get goals or even assist (a defenseman has more points then him right now), that is what his role along as beeing a leader, and other then last year the last time Iggy got 50 goals was in 2001-2002, infact from te 2005-06 season to 2002-03 season iggy has only gotten over 40 goals once and that was in 03-04 season with 41 goals. Oh and another thing, sure iggy had a couple of great fights but did it help them win the game?

I don't expect the team to bow out in playoffs but it is without a doubt a huge improvement then 10 years without even getting to the playoffs. So do you expect Kipper to do everything in the playoffs, we lost in first round in game 7 with one of the best teams in NHL, the sharks diffently played aswome.

And the year before we did in fact lose out in the first round but managed to take 1st in regular season for the western division which isn't the easiest thing to do.

If hussialias was so good why isn't he with the team this year?

no i dont expect a shutout every game but like rehisfly mentioned he has a SHITTY save percentage.. and that mean HE SUCKS! last deal then he retires...... well we better jsut sign out half the contract or wutever nad buy him out and start on curtis or someone else because that is exactly what i am talking about.. hes go tbig money.. he will finsh his contract then move back too finland and F*CK right off... he dosnt care abou twinning...... yes we made a huge improvmanet since ht mid 90s' but still i want more! and watching a overpaid golaie like kip sucks as bad a turek like rhesfly mentioned........ i dotn give a ripo about first in teh divison conference or 8th and jsut scraping in teh playoffs its abotu making it further into t playoffs and winning a championship too me... iggy is our captain.. not top sniper....... he is amazing and does score a otn of goals but his biggest job is too lead the team like a captain should wether it be score, play defence, fight or anything else too GIVE THE TEAM A BOOST.. 30 goals a season os amazing.. i dotn expect him too be competing for th scoring race every year....... we need balanced scoring and a 4 line attack.. how do u not see that...... and huselius u jstu dont get the business or my point eh... he played great for the MONEY and that is why he is in columbus making better money........ that is why he left and we couldnt afford him.... hell we have a few dudes in te minors right now because we are over the cap if not...... same with bert and camalleri.. dont be suprised if these dudes rock this year.. its there contract year and they want a sick contract next year FROM ANY TEAM WILLING TOO PAY THE MOST

Guest RedWiggler

Calgary cant score 3/4/5 goals a game and lose, if you are fan and have been watching the games then you will clearly see that Kipper has clearly sucked to this point this year. Our defence is suspect as always but we have played good enough to have won a few more games, good goalies make a differance and so far this year Kipper has not, its not even arguable.

Guest RedWiggler

Its a conspiracy against Canadian teams, Betman feels that Calgary is the biggest threat to win the cup in Canada thats why the calls against the Flames make you not even want to watch the game anymore. Its ****ing sickening, exactly 9 minutes ????????????????? how can one guy get 5 minutes for fighting????????????? I did not see him beat himself up. He hardly did anything, I can see 2 for roughing but come on now what a joke. That game against the Oilers last Friday as well 4 penalties in a row, 3 PP goals against, we lose by one goal and the refs dont affect the outcome of games eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 of those penalties there was not even contact made, not even fun to watch at this point.

"Hello, is this the referee in charge of the Flames/Caps game? Yeah, this is Bettman. Here is what I want you to do. Since the game is in Calgary, on TSN, and NOBODY in the US is watching, I want you to call consecutive penalties until the Russian scores. Which one? *hit I don't care. Maybe the old guy can put one in. We have to do what we can to step on the Flames. With that defense and goal tending they are a total threat to upset my plan of total US domination of hockey. Maybe one day we can have a franchise in Oklahoma City. Just think of it!"

Canadians are funny.

Its a conspiracy against Canadian teams, Betman feels that Calgary is the biggest threat to win the cup in Canada thats why the calls against the Flames make you not even want to watch the game anymore. Its ****ing sickening, exactly 9 minutes ????????????????? how can one guy get 5 minutes for fighting????????????? I did not see him beat himself up. He hardly did anything, I can see 2 for roughing but come on now what a joke. That game against the Oilers last Friday as well 4 penalties in a row, 3 PP goals against, we lose by one goal and the refs dont affect the outcome of games eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 of those penalties there was not even contact made, not even fun to watch at this point.

I'm too tired to get into it.. all I'm going to say is, Calgary is NOT Canada's biggest threat to win the cup. They had their run.. it's not gonna happen again anytime soon.

And no.. I don't think it's Edmonton either.

At this point, it's Montreal.

You can't blame everything on the refs guys. Rene Borque's a idiot. Period. Not the refs... they called the play the way the play happened. End of discussion.

How about calgary's 4 five on three's? Must be a conspiracy against the US teams. Pfffssshhhhh

Calgary's powerplay hasn't been all that great either. They should have buried 3 or 4 goals on the PP tonight, but they didn't. The PP was anemic at best.

And it's about time Kipper played a game for us. Maybe he heard us all bitchin'

Guest RedWiggler

Bourque is not an idiot and he did not deserve 19 minutes in penalties, if you know anything about hockey and you watch the game or games you would clearly have seen that. As far as the 5 on 3's go personally I cant believe we had 1 of them let alone 4, that never happens to Calgary (again if we watched the games we would know that). That said our PP sucks it always has, we dont win games because of our PP.

Bourque is not an idiot and he did not deserve 19 minutes in penalties, if you know anything about hockey and you watch the game or games you would clearly have seen that. As far as the 5 on 3's go personally I cant believe we had 1 of them let alone 4, that never happens to Calgary (again if we watched the games we would know that). That said our PP sucks it always has, we dont win games because of our PP.

Actually if you knew the rules you would see that if a player gets into a fight and the other player does not fight back it is a 5min roughing pelenty and a game misconduct. All the game annylist after the first period was asking why there was no game misconduct.....

As for the penilities Calgary has had alot of good chances to score on many penilities, I've been to almost all the home games this year. I even remeber in presason when we played edmonton where we went almost the full second period of 5-3.

Guest RedWiggler
Actually if you knew the rules you would see that if a player gets into a fight and the other player does not fight back it is a 5min roughing pelenty and a game misconduct. All the game annylist after the first period was asking why there was no game misconduct.....

As for the penilities Calgary has had alot of good chances to score on many penilities, I've been to almost all the home games this year. I even remeber in presason when we played edmonton where we went almost the full second period of 5-3.

I now the rules, I dont think anyone in hockey has ever seen a call like that before, the guys in between periods were even talking about it like they have never seen that before and thats when they went over the rule about fighting a guy that is not fighting back= 5 mins. and a game (is that when you learned that rule?). The bottom line is that he should have got 2 for roughing. That said this is a Flames fans thread so why are you fighting me, you should be pissed about the call as well, it was a brutal call, as are many of the calls made in the league today. Reffing affects the outcome of games more than people think, thats why we lost against the Oilers last Friday, without those 3 bad calls in a row Calgary wins that game 3-1. Anyways I thought the 19 minutes in penalties was a joke last night as Im sure all other Flames fans thought it as well, you guys are just going against me because I am RedWiggler, thats the bottom line.

Guest RedWiggler
Thank you Hawgstoppah and bhurt for saying exactly what I "didn't want to get into"..

It's always better when it comes from a Flames fan than an Oilers fan...

If they were Flames fans they would have been pissed at that call, the only reason they are bringing it up is because I am me, if I would not have posted it this would not even be an issue right now, this has nothing to do with hockey this is all personal. I like the way you Oilers fans all seem to stick together.

If they were Flames fans they would have been pissed at that call, the only reason they are bringing it up is because I am me, if I would not have posted it this would not even be an issue right now, this has nothing to do with hockey this is all personal. I like the way you Oilers fans all seem to stick together.

:masterbaiter:

Yeah, we stick together, but so do Flames fans, Leafs fans, Habs fans, etc.

But that's not the issue. The only reason that Bourque recieved nine minutes is because he was the instigator which is an automatic 2 minutes. Then he got the five for fighting because he dropped his gloves and pounded the dude like he was on UFC doing a "ground and pound" the 10 minute is an automatic for being the instigator and the other 2 for roughing.....not sure where that came from, but he should have had 7 for sure.

Either way, its a non-issue as the Flames killed it off and built momentum from it.

Great game all in all.

I do find it funny that Canadian fans all think that there is a conspiracy from Bettman against the Canadian teams. I hear about it ALL the time on the Oilers board that I am on, and I think it's ridiculous there too. I do think that there are refs who have it in for certain teams or certain players for some odd reason, but I do not think that it has anything to do with the league forcing them to handicap the Canadian teams.

Just to be clear - my comment about the league wanting more powerplays was not a conspiracy theory about the penguin having it in for Canada or Calgary (although I do think Mick McGeough had it in for C-town, but don't have to worry about that anymore). However, the penguin wants more goals. More Power plays = more goals - therefore call more penalties.

Wiggler and I are right about the Bourque call. Some clown playing in his first (and if he gets to play in 10 games in his career he'll be lucky) game takes a run at Langkow. Langkow is one of our two best players - who went out with a concussion last year if you will recall. I've seen at least 6 other times in the past two years where a star gets hit and someone jumps in to protect him. It is always 2 extra minutes for the guy that jumps in - and 5 each for fighting, regardless of whether the sucker gets any shots in. I defy anyone to find me an instance of 9 minutes consecutive powerplay in the past 20 years of hockey. This isn't like he had possession and was watching his pass, he barely reached out to touch the puck. 2 minutes for instigating and 5 each for fighting - You don't pull that $%it in you first game and then turtle.

Click here if the movie does not play.

As for the Flames. Definately their worst game of the season. The difference was that our has-been was better than there has-been. (Iggy's goal was weak!) Overall - I hate watching a game that is non-stop power-plays, but the Flames power-play looked horrible and Washington's was not much good either.

Now on to more important topics. What happens when the Salary cap goes down next year? Cdn $ is under 80 cents again. All players paid in US $. All Canadian teams make most of their income in CDN dollars, and the Canadian teams make a disproportionate % of league revenue. So ya got a recession (maybe depression) about to hit, that WILL (somebody should tell the penguin) affect revenues accross the league. On top of those losses, Canadian teams will take a 20% hit on the exchange.

Lets say that the Toronto Make-me-laughs made $100M Cdn in revenue last year - that was $100M US. Lets say this year they make $95m Cdn (good luck on that without Sundin) - well thats only $75M US. Smells like a 25% decline in revenue. My guess - Cap will go down by 10% at least. That can't be good news for Calgary who are at max even with this year's cap. Could it be that our salary cap will barely cover one line and a goalie? :o

I now the rules, I dont think anyone in hockey has ever seen a call like that before, the guys in between periods were even talking about it like they have never seen that before and thats when they went over the rule about fighting a guy that is not fighting back= 5 mins. and a game (is that when you learned that rule?). The bottom line is that he should have got 2 for roughing. That said this is a Flames fans thread so why are you fighting me, you should be pissed about the call as well, it was a brutal call, as are many of the calls made in the league today. Reffing affects the outcome of games more than people think, thats why we lost ainst the Oilers last Friday, without those 3 bad calls in a row Calgary wins that game 3-1. Anyways I thought the 19 minutes in penalties was a joke last night as Im sure all other Flames fans thought it as well, you guys are just going against me because I am RedWiggler, thats the bottom line.

*yawn*

Question for you, why do you always insult people, maybe you should go sit in the sin bin for awhile!

BTW I didn't see it on the T.V since I was at the game and listening to it on the Fan 960 and Peter Mar was saying he should of gotten a game misconduct by the rules, so shut your stupid Trap LOUD MOUTH

Oh btw I am not against you cause if you didn't see my debate with max ealier?