Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

either change the system, or change the players. somethings got to give. Jarome's a great player, he just needs to get someone to light a fire under his a$$ again. seems he always says the right thing in an interview "oh yeah we need to bear down and work harder blah blah blah...." ... but do it on the ice for once. :$*%&:

Last interview I saw with Jarome, his mouth was saying those things, but his body language/facial expression was saying "I give up"!

I'm a big fan of Iggy, but he ain't himself right now, and it ain't just one of his usual mini-slumps. Somethings going on with him; could it be something not hockey related (his personal life)? No, I haven't heard any rumors; just grasping at straws...

Part of me says he doesn't deserve to be on the Olympic team; another part of me hopes that will be just the tonic he needs to get his game back.

Time will tell.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last interview I saw with Jarome, his mouth was saying those things, but his body language/facial expression was saying "I give up"!

I'm a big fan of Iggy, but he ain't himself right now, and it ain't just one of his usual mini-slumps. Somethings going on with him; could it be something not hockey related (his personal life)? No, I haven't heard any rumors; just grasping at straws...

Part of me says he doesn't deserve to be on the Olympic team; another part of me hopes that will be just the tonic he needs to get his game back.

Time will tell.

Stick a fork in 'em - they have been fully Sutterized.

The funniest thing is listening to the Sport-snot guys trying salvage viewership by suggesting the Flames still have a shot at the playoffs.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Brent will decide to spend more time with his family - worked out well for New Jersey.

when is the last time anyone saw the flames bust a$$ through the nuetral zone with some effin SPEED...instead of dumping the f%^&$n puck in. This is horrible hockey, not only are they losing becuase every team only has to watch one tape to get ready for them, but it's HORRIBLE to watch.

the sutters where good coaches and GM's back when the league was built around clutch and grab. Getting rid of cammi so we could keep that pylon jokinen, and keeping that overpriced pylon phanuef around, is ludicrous. I may as well start cheering for the oilers, at least their loveable losers.

make some changes, and make em now.

suggestions.

trade iggy (he's done... honestly)

trade phanuef.. he's a overpaid useless tool

trade jokinen

trade lankow

trade conroy

yes that's nearly the core of the team but these guys night in and night out just can NOT get it done. we need some young TALENTED guys to play with the likes of bourque and boyd and dawes... young fresh blood ... sick of watching the same old crap effort and BS "we gotta bear down and try harder... take it one game at a time... blah blah blah....."

suggestions.

trade iggy (he's done... honestly)

trade phanuef.. he's a overpaid useless tool

trade jokinen

trade lankow

trade conroy

quote]

IMO, Phaneuf was the best player (besides Conklin) on either team last night.

My problem with Darryl is not so much the team he has assembled on the ice this year (or other years), it is that we really have no superstar potential on the horizon. Watching Backlund play, unless he gets alot faster, alot stronger, and alot better this year - he is not a 1st line centre. Other than that - who do we have? Free agents are good pieces, but any of the teams that are up and coming, and will dominate for the next few years, have a core that is made up of young developed talent (LA, Phoenix, Col, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington....). We have?

Now - as for Brent's system. Thats a different story. While Jerome is certainly struggling with it, the guys that have suffered most are Glencross who has gone from good to poor, and Bourque, who went from being one of the most effective players in the NHL to someone you hardly notice on the ice.

A Tale of two teams:

This is how the Calgary game went last when they were up going into the third: 4 straight penalties against including two 5:3s.

3rd Period

Time Team Player (Assists) Score

07:35 Dallas Brad Richards (Stephane Robidas, Alex Auld) PP 3-3

Time Team Penalty Details

05:53 Calgary Rene Bourque: 2 minutes, broken stick

06:28 Calgary Jay Bouwmeester: 2 minutes, boarding

Overtime Period

No Scoring

04:09 Calgary Miikka Kiprusoff: 2 minutes, slashing

04:40 Calgary Miikka Kiprusoff: 2 minutes, slashing

This is how the Vancouver game went when they were tied going into the third. 3 straight powerplays.

3rd Period

03:37 Vancouver Mason Raymond (Ryan Kesler, Mikael Samuelsson) 2-1 Vancouver

10:07 St. Louis Tj Oshie (David Backes, Paul Kariya) 2-2

12:12 Vancouver Christian Ehrhoff (Mason Raymond, Ryan Kesler) PP 3-2 Vancouver

04:20 St. Louis Mike Weaver: 2 minutes, tripping

11:40 St. Louis Paul Kariya: 2 minutes, slashing

12:36 St. Louis David Perron: 2 minutes, hi-sticking

B. Sutter should never put Iginla in shootouts. \

I wonder if Auld was thinking he was going to shoot or deek?!?

He stops skating at the top of the circle, plant's his feet and winds up for a wrist shot...not the hardest thing to stop. Seems to be his "trademark" in the shootouts too...McGratton has better hands then him!

Used that Intenet TV to watch the game tonight. Not bad - thanks again for whoever posted that link.

You can sure tell that the Flames do not want a shoot-out (especially Phaneuf) and the other teams just play for a shoot-out aginst the Flames. Who wouldn't.

So 9 games without a win. Fact is that the Flames have run into incrediblly goaltending (easy to say that the Flames just can't score, but if you saw some of Bryz saves tonight (including the two amazing saves in overtime), you have to give the opposing goalies credit). I won't be too negative, but here are some interesting numbers.

Over the nine games - Flames have outshot the opponent 271 to 267 - pretty close. Opposing Goalie save % 0.948. Consider that Ryan Miller has the best save % in the league at .934 and it is like the Flames have played better than the best goalie over a 9 game stretch. Flames Save % over the same period .876. Of the 74 goalies with stats in the league , 67 of them have better than an .875 save percentage. Of the 7 with a worse save percentage only one (Toskala) has played more than 10 games.

For Hawg - in 9 games the Flames have been penalized more often than the other team 6 times, the same amount twice and have had more powerplays once. They've had no 5:3 advantages and been down 5:3 four times. They've had no penalty shots and had one called against them. I know, I know Smitty - they are a dirty team. Just saying.

3 of the games have gone to shoot-outs. Calgary has stopped 3 of 8 shots against (2 of which missed the net) for a save% of .375 and the opposing goalies have stopped 7 of 8 shots for a save percentage in shootouts of .875 (roughly the same save percentage on breakaways as the Flames save percentage during the games).

All in all - in my opinion they should be at least .500. Can't say as I enjoy watching their style of play, though.

its getting frustrating that is forsure.. seems all teh dudes are snakebit.. every game we have a few almost sure things and we hit the post, puck hops, waite a half second too long too pull the trigger........ we are slowly turning the corner i suppose but HOLY F*CK at this rate we will be joining the leafs.. im not too concerned i figure we shall make it.. but if the avs n nucks keep it up we will be playing for 8th spot!

yeah well if their happy with 8th spot all the best. I might have to find better things to do than watch their 5th straight first round wipeout. F^(&R^(*FHF*%RYUGV this team is started to really tick me off.

Hey brian, what about the 90's and you complaining about them losing 5 times in the first round of the playoffs at least they can now make the playoffs instead of not making them, which would you like?

Wow, TSN is reporting we just traded Phaneuf to Toronto... curious to see what the return will be...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308469

Hagman, Stajan, White and Jamal Mayers are coming to Calgary. Have to think the Flames got the better end of that deal. Not sure who Burke thinks is going to score for the Leafs now. Stajan was #2, Hagman was #4 and White is their 2nd highest scoring defenceman. Gotta wonder when a guy trades away scoring talent when their top scorer is a defenceman...

Hagman, Stajan, White and Jamal Mayers are coming to Calgary. Have to think the Flames got the better end of that deal. Not sure who Burke thinks is going to score for the Leafs now. Stajan was #2, Hagman was #4 and White is their 2nd highest scoring defenceman. Gotta wonder when a guy trades away scoring talent when their top scorer is a defenceman...

Boston's loving this deal, can't say I am... I expected a little more for Phaneuf. We get better in the short term, but long term this may really come back to bite us in the ass.

Boston's loving this deal, can't say I am... I expected a little more for Phaneuf. We get better in the short term, but long term this may really come back to bite us in the ass.

Was Phaneuf getting better? Can't see how this might bite in the long term except they may have snagged a bigger fish instead of 2 or 3 lesser fish to begin with.

They've freed up some cap space...maybe more trades yet to come? Kovalchuck would be a good one to land and try to sign to a long term deal before the end of the season...

Was Phaneuf getting better? Can't see how this might bite in the long term except they may have snagged a bigger fish instead of 2 or 3 lesser fish to begin with.

They've freed up some cap space...maybe more trades yet to come? Kovalchuck would be a good one to land and try to sign to a long term deal before the end of the season...

No he wasn't but he's only 24 so who knows how this will play out. Shedding his contract was a good thing but some sort of long term prospects coming back our way would have been nice (especially with us also giving up Aullie). Anyway, with 3 forwards coming to Calgary, Sutter is going to have to do something once Conroy, Dawes and Moss get healthy.

with 3 forwards coming to Calgary, Sutter is going to have to do something once Conroy, Dawes and Moss get healthy.

Hence the "more trades" comment. Backlund certainly didn't look comfortable last night so he could go back down to Abbotsford. The rest? Who knows. Lundmark would likely (or perhaps already has) go back down. That makes room for 2. White fills Phaneuf's spot and Sjostrom's spot is filled by the third forward. Would seem to be the logical sequence of events although Lundmark's play makes it a little tough to keep sending him back to the minors all the time...

Tough day for me. Phaneuf was my favorite player. In Toronto - he'll get the credit he deseves. I'll wager he winds the Norris either next year or the year after. The talking heads in Calgary did this guy in, and sheep fans followed.

Thank God we still have Jokinen!

I'm done with the Flames until Sutter goes. I won't go to a game until then.

Hagman 3M, Stajan UFA next year, White RFA next year - not sure where all the cap room is.

I'm not sure what to think about this. I would have rather taken prospects and maybe 1 or 2 forwards from the leafs, then to pick-up 4 Mediocre players... typical Sutter, going for all the glory and not looking long term. The problem with going for all the glory this year is that even if we squeak into the playoff's, we will probably still have to play San Jose or Chicago in the first round. :(