Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2018 Edition

SilverDoctor

5 hours ago, BigFoamy said:

7MaLR9H.jpg

Skinny George, got this pattern off that Leroy Hyatt show on Saturday mornings. Was prolly the most productive lake fly I fished last year. This is a killer pattern and super simple. Ive also tied it weighted. Also killer but, not as skinny. 

Is that a marabou tail and beard?

21 hours ago, BigFoamy said:

7MaLR9H.jpg

Skinny George, got this pattern off that Leroy Hyatt show on Saturday mornings. Was prolly the most productive lake fly I fished last year. This is a killer pattern and super simple. Ive also tied it weighted. Also killer but, not as skinny. 

Thanks, interesting.  Do you think it is being taken as a scud or damsel imitation?  What size do you normally tie it in?

One way to weight it but not fatten it up too much might be to tie in a strip of weight wire down the back of the hook shank.  Gary Lafontaine tied a scud in this manner that he figured rolled over on its back when at rest, and righted itself when pulled, hence broadcasting the flashback.

36 minutes ago, Sparkplug said:

Thanks, interesting.  Do you think it is being taken as a scud or damsel imitation?  What size do you normally tie it in?

One way to weight it but not fatten it up too much might be to tie in a strip of weight wire down the back of the hook shank.  Gary Lafontaine tied a scud in this manner that he figured rolled over on its back when at rest, and righted itself when pulled, hence broadcasting the flashback.

This is definitely a Damsel pattern. 10, 8 and 6. 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 12:25 PM, Sparkplug said:

Big Foamy;;Can i ask the wire is gold ?  The back is ???     Thanks  

On 3/27/2018 at 2:37 PM, BigFoamy said:

Thanks

On 2018-01-24 at 8:22 AM, SilverDoctor said:

I often go back to swinging Wet Flies in the old timy manner when the condition are right. It can be a great way to imitate  stages of a hatch of Mayflies, Caddis or small baitfish . Originally tied by a Yellowstone National Park guide Frank Beals, who supposedly would shake with anticipation on the morning of a fishing trip. Used to imitate the Isonychia (Slate Drake) or October Caddis.

MZyfv1Z.jpg

Love the looks of this fly. Any chance you could post the rib and red material used to tie it? 

• Like 1