Fly Fusion Forums

What Are You Tying 2018 Edition

SilverDoctor

Looks fine! Did you watch galloups videos on them? He says the design calls for a sparsely spun head.  Although, I think the point of that style of head lends itself to articulated flies better as it slows the head down after the strip, while the tail continues on, creating a swimming motion. 

10 hours ago, Bron said:

Looks fine! Did you watch galloups videos on them? He says the design calls for a sparsely spun head.  Although, I think the point of that style of head lends itself to articulated flies better as it slows the head down after the strip, while the tail continues on, creating a swimming motion. 

Thanks fellas. Yes, I did this from the Galloup tutorial.  I think he had more on the collar and on the head than I've got here.  Of course, no matter what he does with deer hair looks amazing.  I struggle to get the collar to stay on top, and just can't get that short cut before tie-in thing that he does.

Make a solid thread base at the tie in point and hold it tight while you’re putting in your wraps...combined with some heavier thread so you can really crank on it and it shouldn’t roll.

That being said, I don’t see a problem with the collar you have. If you don’t want it on the bottom, you can just trim it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’ve been reading a lot on steelheading and steelhead/salmon flies so I went to the bench and tied up some steelhead inspired streamers for the bow. Not having all the materials typically needed, I just used what I had. Where does everyone like to get their materials for their steelhead/salmon flies? And if things couldn’t get worse now I want to try tying on tubes :)

ElEddts.jpg

lrWFEtQ.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, SilverDoctor said:

Been playing with some Low Fat Minnow patterns. Nice looking profile and weighted with a large tungsten bead. Fist pix is tehtied versign and then what they look like wet. 

2KUYGqW.jpg

TIIg9aT.jpg

interested in this tie,did you use the (bruiser blend dubbing) and where did you source it 

bruiser blend dubbing is just a mix of existing available dubbing. Don't get caught up on specific materials. Not hard to mix your own. Just look for long fiber translucent materials. some flash on the body to show through, EP fibers for the top wing. I use post para material (which is Antron or Zelon) for the belly covering. Macrome also works great. Hope this helps. I might be doing a demo after Christmas on a few flies.