Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Expo 2016

Roast

Just checked out the website for the upcoming fly fishing expo. I am really excited to see Gary Borger coming back this year. I really enjoyed his seminars a couple years back. Also really excited to see Tom Rosenbauer. During the winter I love listening to his podcast while tying flies. It's also great to see Mr McLennan back to share his knowledge.

Looking forward to attending the expo this year!

http://www.flyfishingevents.com/presentation-schedule.html

• Like 2

Awesome, thanks for posting Roast - I've sent this to my wife to get at least the Saturday booked off and approved by management. Anyone have experience with the paid classes/lecturers? I'd imagine it's money well spend and am eyeing Jim's class and Tom's classes on the 16th but would look at picking up other classes if they come highly recommended by any of you in the know.

Guess I'm a cynic, but is anyone not just bored of the same repeat show? It's literally been the exact same thing for the past ~10 years. I guess it's good that we get to get out of the cold to talk shop, but man there hasn't been a single thing to really motivate me to go to the show other then seeing some folks from town I haven't had a chance to catch up with.

• Like 6

Awesome, thanks for posting Roast - I've sent this to my wife to get at least the Saturday booked off and approved by management. Anyone have experience with the paid classes/lecturers? I'd imagine it's money well spend and am eyeing Jim's class and Tom's classes on the 16th but would look at picking up other classes if they come highly recommended by any of you in the know.

I have received paid seminars from my family as Xmas gifts. Well worth it and I have enjoyed them all very much. Getting a chance to spend 2 intense and enjoyable hours almost one on one with the likes of Gary Borger, Jack Dennis, or Tom Rosenbauer? Priceless, IMHO.

I have a few on my Xmas list again for the 2016 Expo, hope Santa comes through. If not, I will ante up on my own.... :peesout:

• Like 1

Guess I'm a cynic, but is anyone not just bored of the same repeat show? It's literally been the exact same thing for the past ~10 years. I guess it's good that we get to get out of the cold to talk shop, but man there hasn't been a single thing to really motivate me to go to the show other then seeing some folks from town I haven't had a chance to catch up with.

My boys like to go, they get stickers and what not.

Yeah, it has gotten pretty stale to the point where some exhibitors are in the exact same spot every year it seems. Like you I go mainly to catch up with people I haven't seen since the previous year's expo, but I guess as long as we keep going the organizers won't have any reason to change things up.

• Like 1

Being that I only fish stillwaters.It sure would have been good to see some other presenters.Names like Tom Lam renowned for his chironomid seminars.John Kent for his inivative Stillwater ties,to name a couple.That is not to say that Phil,still doesn't do a fine job.Grant you there really isn't that much innovation in the sport.Bugs haven't really changed.But materials & how to fish the bugs have.But saying that i'll still probably go kick some boats etc.

Being that I only fish stillwaters.It sure would have been good to see some other presenters.Names like Tom Lam renowned for his chironomid seminars.John Kent for his inivative Stillwater ties,to name a couple.That is not to say that Phil,still doesn't do a fine job.Grant you there really isn't that much innovation in the sport.Bugs haven't really changed.But materials & how to fish the bugs have.But saying that i'll still probably go kick some boats etc.

Brian Chan has given great paid and free still water seminars in the past. I would think others have as well, just not sure who. Found Brian to be a good speaker.

I enjoy the show each and every year. It always occurs in January and allows me to take a break from winter for a couple of days. I have found a couple of great deals each year and allows me to see and try casting the new gear as much as I want. I also really appreciate the opportunities to sit in on seminars with some of the true experts in the fly fishing community. Where else could a guy like me get the opportunity to learn from from people like Jim McLennan, Tom Rosenbauer etc. I never get tired of the show.

• Like 1

Does anyone know or have a feel as to what the attendance numbers are for the show? I'm seriously considering exhibiting at the show but I'd like to know the size of the show from you all. There is a show in Denver the same weekend but I've never done a show in Canada so I think it would be fun. Thanks for any insight.

Does anyone know or have a feel as to what the attendance numbers are for the show? I'm seriously considering exhibiting at the show but I'd like to know the size of the show from you all. There is a show in Denver the same weekend but I've never done a show in Canada so I think it would be fun. Thanks for any insight.

I believe if you contacted the Expo they would be able to give you exact attendance gate numbers.